Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Loyal Opposition

The Argument for Separation

Although this article is critical of Sarah Palin, I am not posting it as an exercise in Palin bashing. The author refers back to a speech by John F. Kennedy (her uncle) about the importance of judging public officials by their policy rather than their religion. It is a very thoughtful article.

I suggest that one's religious beliefs or non-religious beliefs do have an influence on our identity and our value set, and it would be disingenuous to claim that such background has no effect on our world view. The author seems to criticize those who would say that openly, but the description of Kennedy's career highlighted that influence. The more important point to me, for the purpose of choosing someone for public office, is where one's values have ended up - not how they got there.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Abby Normal

"Palin's book makes clear just how dangerous her proposed path can be. Not only does she want people to reveal their beliefs, but she wants to sit in judgment of them if their views don't match her own. For instance, she criticizes Rep. Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), a Democrat and a faithful Catholic, for "talking the (God) talk but not walking the walk."

Who is Palin to say what God's "walk" is? Who anointed her our grand inquisitor?"

That's our Sarah!

gotta love her

(or she'll F U up!)
Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Resident octogenarian

And she wants to go back to the Constitution, someone should read her Article VI, Para 3.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Doesn't a faithful Catholic take direction from the infallable Pope?

Therefore it's not Palin but the Pope who is the anointed grand inquisitor

Pete
Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Doesn't a faithful Catholic take direction from the infallable Pope?

Therefore it's not Palin but the Pope who is the anointed grand inquisitor

Pete
Does "Tailgunner Michelle" Bachmann still plan to hold "un-American activities" hearings, Pete?

Dave
Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Area Man

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Hmmmmm?

Thanks for the reference, Rob.

Dave
Old 12-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Blue, you mean this statement? :

"What I would say is that the news media should do a penetrating expose and take a look."

All I could find was her calling for the newspapers to look, not Congress. I am open to correction

You may find it interesting that some State constitutions had religious qualifiers. In truth there is a test, by the voters though.

Pete
Old 12-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Hmmmmm?

Thanks for the reference, Rob.

Dave
Any time.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:42 PM

I welcome the day that I can cast a vote for an avowed atheist...for ANY office.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Loyal Opposition

Your best bet there is probably in a college town. I wouldn't vote for someone any more for them being an atheist anymore that I would because they are a Christian, a Jew or a Muslim. It depends on the way that they see government and the way they would provide for workers and less fortunate citizens.

Regards,

D-ray