Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
I think culturalism is often mislabeled as racism, and those who mislabel it so often possess racial prejudices.
I think you transparently want 'them' called a bad name, not you.

There's not a dimes worth of difference between cultural chauvinism and racism. By 'chauvinism' I mean a bit higher up the scale than the mildest points suggested by the nice soft word 'preference.'

Last edited by donquixote99; 01-17-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Merit based immigration is a slogan rather than a policy.

From the beginning of our nation nearly all immigration has been family-based in nature, so when Trump wants to get rid of so called chain immigration what he really means is that he wants to reduce immigration period. From what I remember from American history there has never been a time when just single people were allowed to immigrate. Many single people did immigrate however and bring family member over later on. This is how America was built.

Plus if you eliminated the ability for immigrants to sponsor relatives you would reduce the number of skilled immigrants in general since most people who are able to come to the US in the first place are at the top of their home nation's socio-economic ladder already. They might not be all engineers and doctors when they come to the US but they do end up being assets to the nation in other ways.

Yeah there is a lot of talk about Canada's "merit" based system but don't get fooled by the term merit. Both the United States and Canada are nations that have a long history of welcoming immigrants. Plus in Canada 28 percent of all immigration is still so called "chain migration." In Australia chain migration is 30%.

Don't let a moron use semantics fool you. Well I guess in many cases that is too late.
Countries adopt immigration systems NOT for the benefit of immigrants, but for the benefit of the country setting up the immigration system. Its not relevant to suggest that other countries have "chain migration" (a term that Dick Durbin thinks is racist, by the way, so be careful ), therefore the US should do it too. The right way to ask the question is: to what benefit is it to CA or Aus to continue chain migration?

In other words, its not about semantics or spin. Its about orderly managing immigration in a way that allows immigrants to be successful and productive members of society without negatively impacting the economy or culture of the receiving country.

And yes, there is a unique American culture that needs to be preserved. (I know some folks here HATE that idea, but there it is.)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
In other words, its not about semantics or spin. Its about orderly managing immigration in a way that allows immigrants to be successful and productive members of society without negatively impacting the economy or culture of the receiving country.
And you're depending on Trump delivering an orderly anything?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
And you're depending on Trump delivering an orderly anything?
You just can't help yourself, can you?

This is a matter for the legislature, not the executive branch to address anyway.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Cool

Quote:

This is a matter for the legislature, not the executive branch to address anyway.
Huh. So all those XO’s Donny’s been signing on immigration (that the courts have been calling unlawful) came from the legislature? Golllllllly. Had me fooled.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I think you transparently want 'them' called a bad name, not you.

There's not a dimes worth of difference between cultural chauvinism and racism. By 'chauvinism' I mean a bit higher up the scale than the mildest points suggested by the nice soft word 'preference.'
You perceive the world as us and them, not I.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:03 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

Your Dear Leader has shown his ability to undermine anything, particularly if has anything to do with immigration. Just ask Graham and McConnell.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 PM

In all reality Nigerians would beat Norwegians if they were subjected to some kind of "merit" test for immigration.

What Trump really wants is stop brown and black human beings from coming to America.

I mean isn't he the one ending DACA? I don't think he needs Congress to extend Obama's order.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
You perceive the world as us and them, not I.
Open and candid as ever, Nailer.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Your Dear Leader has shown his ability to undermine anything, particularly if has anything to do with immigration. Just ask Graham and McConnell.
What Graham and Durbin produced was crap. It met with the fate that was appropriate for it. Regardless, it wasn't likely to even make it through Congress.