Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Yep, we have 'incentivized' healthcare in this country. It's sick and it needs to stop. Banning pharmaceutical adverts would be a good start.
Agree we don't allow adverts for booze so drugs belong in that same category,
Old 06-06-2015, 06:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

There are some advantages to being a really old fart as all we ever got concerned with as kids was who could swipe a cig from one of their parents.

Sure glad that the only prescription I am on are the eye drops for glaucoma.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Now that I solved that for the medical morons, what we need to do is take the prescription pads away from the godawful doctors who give stimulates to kids.

Antidepressants and their dear cousins the ADD drugs are the ultimate gateway drugs and your corner DR the enabler.
Oh come on for christ's sake. Antidepressants are a gateway drug? Antidepressants are not habit forming. Antidepressants have improved the quality of life for millions who, before the development of antidepressants, lived lives of no hope. And who before that, were pumped up with tranquilizers and locked up in state hospital warehouses for the "insane." Antidepressants are not medications that have their users ending up dead in a shooting gallery with a dirty needle stuck in a vein.

Antidepressants and stimulants are "cousins"??? They are from utterly different families of drugs with utterly different metabolic and neurological action. They are two totally unrelated classes of medications. They treat totally different types of conditions. Depression is a neurotransmitter driven mood disorder. ADD is a neurological disorder.

As far as stimulant treatment of ADD is concerned...when I was a kid, it might have been nice to have some actual medical treatment for my ADD and hyperactivity rather than the typical educational and parental interventions for kids like me who were scolded for being...lazy.

That said...prescription pharmaceutical advertising is bullshit. Particularly when big pharma persistently tells us that they need their massive profits to pay for research, when they have always spent considerably more money on marketing than they do in the lab.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 06-06-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
That said...prescription pharmaceutical advertising is bullshit. Particularly when big pharma persistently tells us that they need their massive profits to pay for research, when they have always spent considerably more money on marketing than they do in the lab.
Does market research count as research?
Old 06-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Not to mention the obscene salaries for Mahogany Row.

Ike I have heard of some bad side effects from Ritalin what can you tell me?
Old 06-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Not to mention the obscene salaries for Mahogany Row.

Ike I have heard of some bad side effects from Ritalin what can you tell me?
Common side effects of Ritalin include nervousness, agitation, anxiety, sleep problems (insomnia), stomach pain, loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, palpitations, headache, vision problems, increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, sweating, skin rash, psychosis, and numbness, tingling, or cold feeling in your hands or feet.

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/mo...esc&monopage=0

Keep in mind, side effects lists for almost all meds includes anything ever reported by any neurotic highly sensitive person with multiple environmental sensitivities who walks around wearing a surgical mask all day long. The only side effect regularly reported by parents of kids on Ritalin in my caseload was that if they gave their kids an afternoon dose, the kids often had problems falling asleep at their normal bedtime. A little benadryl typically helped with that.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:13 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Common side effects of Ritalin include nervousness, agitation, anxiety, sleep problems (insomnia), stomach pain, loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, palpitations, headache, vision problems, increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, sweating, skin rash, psychosis, and numbness, tingling, or cold feeling in your hands or feet.

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/mo...esc&monopage=0

Keep in mind, side effects lists for almost all meds includes anything ever reported by any neurotic highly sensitive person with multiple environmental sensitivities who walks around wearing a surgical mask all day long. The only side effect regularly reported by parents of kids on Ritalin in my caseload was that if they gave their kids an afternoon dose, the kids often had problems falling asleep at their normal bedtime. A little benadryl typically helped with that.
Ex wife had my youngest put on Risperidone for ODD along with Concerta for ADD. I found out about two years later. That ain't anything you wanna just cold turkey off of. That started a nightmare battle for me and the ex, that I still can't win, yet can't really walk away from either.

Last edited by mpholland; 06-07-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Resident octogenarian

We had one of our son's schoolteachers claim he had ADD. After pointing out to the principal that she neither had a medical degree nor a degree in child psychology she decided to keep her opinions to herself. We let the family doctor look after such things.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We had one of our son's schoolteachers claim he had ADD. After pointing out to the principal that she neither had a medical degree nor a degree in child psychology she decided to keep her opinions to herself. We let the family doctor look after such things.
Just as an FYI...I wouldn't trust a family practice physician for treatment with psychotropics or a pediatrician for treatment of psychotropics with kids. What do they have...a couple weeks of a psych rotation when they're interns or residents? I've seen to many people not get the effective treatment they should have, or often even over prescribed...particularly with benzodiazepines (and prescribed those for the wrong reasons).

There aren't any blood labs, scans, or other specific test results that can be developed that will tell you if treatment with psychotropic meds is maximized or even moderately effective. It's all clinical evaluation. The speci@lists are the doctors to see for this. A psychiatrist, pediatric psychiatrist, or even a pediatric neurologist if ADD is suspected.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
What they do to us old farts isn't much better.

Has anyone here noticed that shortly after they put you on statins for cholesterol,
your blood sugar goes up and the next prescription is Metformin?
bitches gave me diabetes

I am absolutely belligerent to pharmaceutical sales reps I run across. I see them as Satan's little helpers and I tell them.

I need my freakin' head examined... but I just don't care.

I am done, I have had it.