Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It comes down to, why the sudden enlightenment? Remember the workers council has as much stake in VW as a corporate entity as management does.

Pete
Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I saw that. I've also heard Dems say the world is going to end if their Pres doesn't win, and the GOP saying the same thing. Why doesn't VWs management or union reps come right out and say if he was right or not? Heck they could've responded immediately.

The whole thing smells IMO. Something just ain't right!

Pete
Because if anyone in VW management was proved or admitted to giving "assurances" to that piece o' crap Corker, there would be hell to pay. It is illegal.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Admin

Quote:
It comes down to, why the sudden enlightenment? Remember the workers council has as much stake in VW as a corporate entity as management does.

Pete
Uhhh, they read newspapers? They saw how public officials threatened the company and the workers here. I'll bet if that behavior happened in Germany, somebody would be in jail or ridden out of town on a rail.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Because if anyone in VW management was proved or admitted to giving "assurances" to that piece o' crap Corker, there would be hell to pay. It is illegal.
Hence, something is amiss.

I did say I would've voted for the union if I worked there.

Consider this:

"...
When Volkswagen opened its plant in Chattanooga in 2011 and hired 2,000 workers, Rattner says, "little attention was paid to the fact that the beginning wage for assembly line workers was $14.50 per hour, about half of what traditional, unionized workers employed by General Motors or Ford received."

With benefits, Rattner says that the workers cost VW $27 per hour but that in Germany the figure for the average auto worker is $67 per hour.

...."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...e-auto-market#

VW is full of something, and it's not goodwill towards their fellow man.

Pete
Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Admin

Quote:
Hence, something is amiss.

I did say I would've voted for the union if I worked there.

Consider this:

"...
When Volkswagen opened its plant in Chattanooga in 2011 and hired 2,000 workers, Rattner says, "little attention was paid to the fact that the beginning wage for assembly line workers was $14.50 per hour, about half of what traditional, unionized workers employed by General Motors or Ford received."

With benefits, Rattner says that the workers cost VW $27 per hour but that in Germany the figure for the average auto worker is $67 per hour.

...."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...e-auto-market#

VW is full of something, and it's not goodwill towards their fellow man.

Pete
Agreed on VW management. I might've bought one of their products but given this latest, not a chance. My guess is that Corker was full of shit about the so called assurances he allegedly received and was using his bully pulpit to bugger the vote. Would that he could be censured for it but I ain't holding my breath.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
"...
There's something that's amiss. I know people who work at GM in Lordstown. They do not start at anywhere near $29/hour, that's ridiculous. Last I heard, assembly line folks start at ~$18. A strong wage, sure, but not what these people are claiming. A millwright at topped out union scale makes ~$34/hour. Unless someone is counting benefit costs for union workers, but not VW workers.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you think is amiss, Pete. It seems pretty simple to me. Are you thinking maybe the German Works Council is trying to force the work out of the USA for some reason?

Dave
Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Area Man

I'm thinking that, if anything, the unions are finally catching up with globalism and finding ways to collaborate across international borders. They've always claimed to do that, but I don't believe it really amounted to much before. If so;

WORKERS OF THE WORD, UNITE!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM

Whenever a salary amount is used fringe benefits can be lumped into the total. Things like healthcare 401k match retirement vacation sick overtime anything to make the point they are after. That is how the hourly rate can seem be different the the actual pay per hour.

Barney
Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Whenever a salary amount is used fringe benefits can be lumped into the total. Things like healthcare 401k match retirement vacation sick overtime anything to make the point they are after. That is how the hourly rate can seem be different the the actual pay per hour.

Barney
And, it's common to lump total costs for one side of a comparison, but not the other to skew the result.

Dave
Old 02-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Thinking back, when I left high school in the 70's the job to have was at the Ford assembly plant in St. Louis. Paying $10 per hour, it was a high paying job....

I didn't get one, but still, I lived well enough on the $4.00 an hour job I had.