Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM

I guess you must have missed the other thread.
http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=6893

Quote:
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee (Reuters) - U.S. Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee said on Wednesday he has been "assured" that if workers at the Volkswagen AG plant in his hometown of Chattanooga reject United Auto Worker representation, the company will reward the plant with a new product to build.

Corker's bombshell, which runs counter to public statements by Volkswagen, was dropped on the first of a three-day secret ballot election of blue-collar workers at the Chattanooga plant whether to allow the UAW to represent them.

Corker has long been an opponent of the union which he says hurts economic and job growth in Tennessee, a charge that UAW officials say is untrue.

"I've had conversations today and based on those am assured that should the workers vote against the UAW, Volkswagen will announce in the coming weeks that it will manufacture its new mid-size SUV here in Chattanooga," said Corker, without saying with whom he had the conversations.

In the past few weeks, Volkswagen officials have made several statements that the vote will have no bearing on whether the SUV will be made at the Chattanooga plant or at a plant in Puebla, Mexico.

National Labor Relations Board expert Kenneth G. Dau-Schmidt, who is professor of labor at the University of Indiana-Bloomington, said Corker was trying to intimidate workers into voting against the union.

"I'm really kind of shocked at Corker's statement," said Dau-Schmidt. "It's so inconsistent with what VW has been saying and VW's labor relations policy in general."

The Indiana professor also said Corker's comments "would be grounds to set the election aside and have to run it all over again at a later date" because it could be ruled to be interfering to the point that it is against federal labor law.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1C04H20140213

Carl
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I saw that. I've also heard Dems say the world is going to end if their Pres doesn't win, and the GOP saying the same thing. Why doesn't VWs management or union reps come right out and say if he was right or not? Heck they could've responded immediately.

The whole thing smells IMO. Something just ain't right!

Pete
Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
So the workers' will is meaningless?

Pete
How do you know the results of that election represented the true will of the workforce? How many voted no, or didn't show up for the vote at all, out of fear of reprisal from management?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I saw that. I've also heard Dems say the world is going to end if their Pres doesn't win, and the GOP saying the same thing. Why doesn't VWs management or union reps come right out and say if he was right or not? Heck they could've responded immediately.

The whole thing smells IMO. Something just ain't right!

Pete
I agree, something does stink. The foul odor first fill my nostrils when St. Ronnie fired PATCO. And the most recent stench filled the air when Republican politicians started sticking their noses in it and running their mouths. I see it as a long overdue effort to turn the tide against neo-conservatism on the labor issue.

Dave
Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
How do you know the results of that election represented the true will of the workforce? How many voted no, or didn't show up for the vote at all, out of fear of reprisal from management?

Dave
That would be a good question for the workers' friends at VW.

I'm still convinced that there's more to this than we know.

Here's another take on it:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...160128679.html

Pete
Old 02-20-2014, 11:44 AM

It is VW's money, maybe they built here because they wanted to build on this continental but without Mexico's corruption. Now they have built here and figured out corruption is here just as it is in Mexico after spending 1 billion of our money and 1/2 billion of theirs. They could be looking at Canada even instead of throwing good money after bad.
Quote:
I'm still convinced that there's more to this than we know.
No, I don't see it at all.

Carl
Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

"......

Bernd Osterloh, the head of the VW works council told German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung: "I can imagine fairly well that another VW factory in the United States, provided that one more should still be set up there, does not necessarily have to be assigned to the south again."

This is especially significant since works councils have to approve any decisions to open or close any VW plants and VW has been publicly deciding whether to move some of its U.S. production into Mexico.

...."

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...160128679.html

Bold font added.

Pete
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM

So? It's their company and its their money.

Carl
Old 02-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Area Man

Maybe it's a sinister Polish-American conspiracy to manipulate VW into locating near Cleveland, Pete? Hey, we've got open industrial land in Twinsburg...............

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-20-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Pete