Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:03 AM

But my last post doesn't matter. There'll be plenty of pissing contests online about the weather like the one I read the other day about TX. What I've been seeing on tv lately isn't about global warming, or climate change. I swear it must have been aired 4 times in 24 hours that there is a book of secrets and they show how each president of the US ages rapidly after reading what's inside, lol.

Oh, and before I forget. They were also talking about Abe Lincoln laying in bed with men rather than women and that it was kept quiet. Why they were covering that I don't know.

It was on H2 channel, I think that's what my wife had it on all weekend.

Last edited by hillbilly; 02-18-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Admin

Some weird chit on those junk History Channels. Rupert Murdoch probably owns 'em. How ya been hillbilly?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Some weird chit on those junk History Channels. Rupert Murdoch probably owns 'em. How ya been hillbilly?
Like a few other would say, cold. Glad this week is going to be pretty. Been years since I had to crawl under peoples houses reparing busted pipes. I guess folks figured since we've had mild winters for a while they built houses not thinking that the cold could easily return, lol. I couldn't believe there was no insulation on pipes under fairly new houses built about 1 foot off the ground. I don't do that work, and don't like squeezing under houses, but folks know that I can so... and I have a hard time sayin' no.

Sometimes I wish I knew how to play the stock market.. and nary a thing about anything else, lol

Last edited by hillbilly; 02-18-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 AM
Admin

PVC or the new Pex stuff? Hell, I guess even copper can bust a solder joint if it freezes real hard. That must've been some cold crawling, man. Too bad they didn't know to crack a valve near the end of the run and keep it flowing. Oh well, that's why the plumbers get the big bucks, I guess.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
PVC or the new Pex stuff? Hell, I guess even copper can bust a solder joint if it freezes real hard. That must've been some cold crawling, man. Too bad they didn't know to crack a valve near the end of the run and keep it flowing. Oh well, that's why the plumbers get the big bucks, I guess.
The ones I had to fix was 1/2'' PVC all the way. What I didn't understand though is why they used 1/2'' PVC as main lines from the meter going in them with 3/4x1/2'' reducers fitted to the water heaters. Cheap and easy to keep on hand I guess. I'd hate to have two full bath's and someone turn the water on while I was taking a shower.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:29 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
The ones I had to fix was 1/2'' PVC all the way. What I didn't understand though is why they used 1/2'' PVC as main lines from the meter going in them with 3/4x1/2'' reducers fitted to the water heaters. Cheap and easy to keep on hand I guess. I'd hate to have two full bath's and someone turn the water on while I was taking a shower.
I hope they used those anti scald balancing shower valves at least. Even so, it would slow to a trickle, wouldn't it? I've seen some crazy stuff done in the residential trades over the years. Plumbers with HoleHawgs and Sawzalls turning 2X10 floor joists into 2X4s is always interesting when they do it to three or four in a row over a bearing wall.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:30 AM

Also, Bob, I was in a auto repair shop and noticed they used cheap white PVC to plum their air lines in the shop. I generally don't ask questions, but I had to ask them if they ever gave any thought to what that PVC would feel like flying through their skin if it ever busted. I'd say it's risky business with compressed air.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 AM
Admin

That's crazy dangerous. I saw one guys commercial bldg. with a 12" length of nylon reinforced clear vinyl hose used as a splice in a natural gas line with hose clamps. Effin' idiot, I called the gas company immediately. They had a crew out within a half hour and shut him off till it was fixed.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Go figure, when I got the first emergency generator they gave me about 20 feet of copper line to run from the 100# propane tank to the generator. You can imagine how easy that was to store. Did some research and got the proper propane hose. It is rated for something like 200 to 250 pounds per square inch so as it sits on the low pressure side of the rgulator I don't foresee any problems. I really do not like surprises.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Also, Bob, I was in a auto repair shop and noticed they used cheap white PVC to plum their air lines in the shop. I generally don't ask questions, but I had to ask them if they ever gave any thought to what that PVC would feel like flying through their skin if it ever busted. I'd say it's risky business with compressed air.
It starts leaking and becomes useless the majority of the time. Not that it could just fail catastrophe. But all I have ever ran across the shop replaces it with copper when the compressor cycles increase.

Barney