Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It may be one of the major factors in my rejection of the Republican party, as currently constituted. Any party that sucks up to Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Bob Jones, Ralph Reed and other such hateful morons has disqualified themselves from my consideration. Perhaps a bit harsh on my part, but so be it.
+1. And I was trying to be nice.

Dave
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Now that we've got a good amount of postings, the follow-up question to this, is....do you believe that your faith, past, present, or lack thereof, has created any of your political views, and if so how? And how is it different from others?
Absolutely.

I adopted (in principle) the message of Jesus as taking care of one another is what is best for the individual and the species.

(Why Born Again Christians don't get this is very perplexing to me.)
Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Resident octogenarian

He said the second most important commandment was "To love our neighbours as we love ourselves." Took quite a few years before I realized that , hey, if you don't love yourself you can't love others. Prior to that I had been my own worst critic.

Figuring that out I became less critical of others and more supportive. I also recalled His saying "That you have shown kindness to the least of my people you have shown it to me," (rough translation), so I would rather hold out my hand to anyone who is down rather than kick them.

The I became practical about what a government could and should do. Mike Pearson (my avatar) convinced me that since people are a country's greatest asset it makes good sense to keep them in top shape - thus Single Payer. People who through no fault of their own (after taxes for building schools and roads and other infrastructure) there may not be a whole lot of savings so a no means test Old Age Pension, but if you make more that a certain amount they pretty well take it back as income tax.

The infrastructure is vital and must be maintained, falling bridges killing people is a disgrace. So yes, there are things a government should and must do. So having been a member of the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada I saw nowt conservative about the GOP so I became a Democrat. In fact with their sucking up to the very rich and trickling down on everyone else I see no Family Values or Religiousness about the GOP whatsoever. "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter Heaven."

Last edited by merrylander; 11-03-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
In fact with their sucking up to the very rich and trickling down on everyone else I see no Family Values or Religiousness about the GOP whatsoever. "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter Heaven."
Though I'm no big fan of Microsoft's products, Bill Gates has shown how a rich man should behave in this world. There are far too few like him though.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Born & raised a Minnow Muncher (AKA Catholic)...even attended a Catholic university. Other than loving the smell of incense & the majestic cadence of a Latin High Mass...not too interested anymore. I do believe that whoever wrote the 10 Commandments came up with a pretty practical way of living one's life. In other words...just be nice, OK?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Now that we've got a good amount of postings, the follow-up question to this, is....do you believe that your faith, past, present, or lack thereof, has created any of your political views, and if so how? And how is it different from others?
Being brought up in the Methodist church affected my views on life and politics in many ways.

John Wesley, the father is Methodist theology, recognized reason as a large part of a religious life. The theology offers more than blind adherence to dogma.

The Social Principles of the Methodist Church were always progressive for their time. Early in the last century the Social Principles spoke against sweat-shops, in favor of a forty hour work week, and in favor of the ability of workers to organize for their mutual aid and benefit.

The Methodist churches with which I have been affiliated have always showed an openness to people of other faiths. I recall as a youth being very impressed that communion was offered to anyone who professed their faith in its purpose. Whether one actually professed such faith was a matter of individual conscience. Friends from more fundamentalist churches believed that unless you have been baptised in their particular church, you were headed for Hell.

Finally, although the terminology was not used at the time, it was evident that the village was very much involved in raising children. Many adults volunteered for sunday school and church programs. Those adults also held us accountable. We had basketball teams from the church. The fellowship hall was open to the community and regularly had something going on. We were able to go to the church nearly every day to play basketball. As yutes we knew every nook and cranny of the church.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we also learned the Golden Rule, and not the one that says he who has the gold makes the rules.

As a result of that upbringing, I see the need for a more egalitarian world, a need to work for social justice, seek respect for the religious beliefs of others, and don't see those different from me as enemies. I see a moral imperative to take care of those less fortunate.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 11-03-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Raised in a secular household.
Loosely believed in some kind of god until I was around 15/16 years old.
My cousin managed to convert me to Christianity for 10 minutes when I was around 14 years old.
Never been to church.
Never been baptised.
Now an atheist who thinks that deism is either a pointless or untenable position to hold depending on the individuals specific position.

And, as far as I'm concerned, peoples view of how the universe operates always affects their political views. I, for example, think that everyone should be allowed to live for ever once the relevant technology comes along ETC.

Last edited by Brother_Karl; 11-03-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Area Man

What got me as I watched my parents reach the end of their lives, was that church (organized religion) meant less and less to them. But, their love of family and their belief in an afterlife grew tremendously.

Wishfull thinking? I don't know. But I do hope to see them again.

Dave
Old 11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Though I'm no big fan of Microsoft's products, Bill Gates has shown how a rich man should behave in this world. There are far too few like him though.
Don't talk to me about the Gates, I wrote and asked them to please support Covenant House because they try to get to the runaways before the predators do. One of their flunkies as good as told me to bugger off.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Resident octogenarian

Don, my Dad was a methodist early on, to the point my oldest brother - rest his soul - was named Wesley. Later when the Methodists in Canada merged with many of the Presbyterians to form the United Church he went along.