Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:13 PM
Admin

Thumbs up Recharging The Aquifers

"DUNNIGAN, Calif. — As storms have drenched Northern California, water diverted from the swollen Sacramento River has been flowing from a canal and pouring onto 200 acres of farmland.
For more than a month, the water has spread across fields, forming shallow pools, then percolating slowly into the earth.

This farm northwest of Sacramento, which has previously produced rice, is being used to replenish groundwater. It’s one of a growing number of sites across the Central Valley where landowners and local water managers are using farmland to take advantage of this year’s heavy rain and snow by capturing water and putting it underground.

Once applied to the fields near the town of Dunnigan, the water quickly sinks into the soil and makes its way through sediment to the aquifer. Measurements in nearby wells show that groundwater levels have risen.

Two birds feed in a flooded farm.
American avocets feed in a flooded farm in Yolo County. (Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times)
“Within a matter of a couple of days, we see improvement in the water table,” said David Schaad, a farmer and president of the Dunnigan Water District. “It’s wonderful to see.”"

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ge-groundwater

It ain't all lotus eaters and ganja out here in California.