Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:47 AM
Administrator

South versus the North

Just got back from a 4 day trip from Michigan to Tennessee. What struck me most is the friendliness of folks in the south versus the North. Followed by gas prices that were .40 a gal cheaper then back home. The real treat was cartons of smokes were 15 bucks a carton cheaper then Michigan. It always amazes me the price spreads when traveling.

The absolute best part of the drive was our toyota average close to 47.5 MPG. Not too shabby for a bottom of the line car eh ?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Should'a tole us you'uns was comin'. Just took some ribs and a brisket off'un the smoker!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Area Man

I like the way the south smells.

I know that sounds crazy, but have you ever just sat beneath a blooming Magnolia tree?
Wisteria and Honeysuckle just grow wild here, and it's everywhere. Then there's Carolina Jasmine, Ligustrum..............

Sometimes on my way home from work, I leave the windows down just to take in the night air, and the wonderful fragrances.

The only thing I don't like is the bugs and humidity, here, in the swamp. And the peat moss fires that occasionally break out. Nasty.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-13-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 AM

We are a lot less GRUMPY down here...

JJIII, and Hillbilly and I would have loved to roast, i mean host you..

Last edited by flacaltenn; 06-13-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I like the way the south smells.

I know that sounds crazy, but have you ever just sat beneath a blooming Magnolia tree?
Wisteria and Honeysuckle just grow wild here, and it's everywhere. Then there's Carolina Jasmine, Ligustrum..............

Sometimes on my way home from work, I leave the windows down just to take in the night air, and the wonderful fragrances.

The only thing I don't like is the bugs and humidity, here, in the swamp. And the peat moss fires that occasionally break out. Nasty.

Dave
There are two Saucer Magnolias in the back yard along with a French Lilac, lots of Dogwood but I never noticed much scent from them. Then of course there are the usual Kudzu vines that some bonehead introduced.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Did anyone call you "honey" Grumpy?

My wife just loves being called Misz Ann.

That smell can be overwhelming in some places. When I lived in Fla (and there were still orange groves there) -- you could DIE driving thru the citrus areas at night. Now I know what the last thing a roach smells when the RAID comes out..
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
There are two Saucer Magnolias in the back yard along with a French Lilac, lots of Dogwood but I never noticed much scent from them. Then of course there are the usual Kudzu vines that some bonehead introduced.
Dogwood puts off no scent. Lilac and Magnolias definitely do............

Dave
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Just got back from a 4 day trip from Michigan to Tennessee. What struck me most is the friendliness of folks in the south versus the North. Followed by gas prices that were .40 a gal cheaper then back home. The real treat was cartons of smokes were 15 bucks a carton cheaper then Michigan. It always amazes me the price spreads when traveling.

The absolute best part of the drive was our toyota average close to 47.5 MPG. Not too shabby for a bottom of the line car eh ?

Dave, why didn't you swing by the 'poor farm'? Creeks are a bit low, so no good fishin' right now, but I coulda saddled up a couple horses & put 10 or 15 miles under our asses.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Sorry guys. I was down there on part business and the heat put me in the hotel room after each day of that. Damn near killed me.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Sorry guys. I was down there on part business and the heat put me in the hotel room after each day of that. Damn near killed me.

Heat? Honestly, it gets hotter in July & August. May & June is perfect weather for horse riding and taking outdoor naps.

But really, if you aint used to the humidity down here it is understandably hot. If you head down here again, holler at me, I'll make it a point to pull down the windows and circulate the freon.

Last edited by hillbilly; 06-13-2011 at 10:12 PM.