Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I generally agree. However, my experience with really smart people (I work with and around lots of PhD's and have a PhD nuclear physicist for a brother) is that they often lack in common sense what they have in "book learning." Plus, their management skills aren't necessarily commensurate with their intelligence.
As long as the intelligence is there... AND recognized...others can follow suit with their contributions.
I have done much research and worked with a leading expert on just that subject. There are geniuses in all walks of life (not excluding the prison system). It is always nature AND nurture that determines the outcome.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
As long as the intelligence is there... AND recognized...others can follow suit with their contributions.
I have done much research and worked with a leading expert on just that subject. There are geniuses in all walks of life (not excluding the prison system). It is always nature AND nurture that determines the outcome.
Damn, Painter,

You're last three posts on this matter have been spot on.

But I do have a bit of curiosity as to why you mentioned the penal system.

Are you a former member of the only branch of law enforcement which receives no respect at all?

Chas
Old 08-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Damn, Painter,

You're last three posts on this matter have been spot on.

But I do have a bit of curiosity as to why you mentioned the penal system.

Are you a former member of the only branch of law enforcement which receives no respect at all?

Chas
No Charles I was not. But that fact about the penal system... gets to the core of those that have delusions of grandeur. We are all special people and possess talents. With some...you just have to look harder.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
True. But around here, I have personally met people who believe this nonsense.......fanatically.

Dave
I find... an opinion different from my own makes me think. In the end...the majority rules...unless SCIU shows up!!
Joking here...
Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
There is no such thing as public opinion. There is only published opinion.
Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
A very pithy, but ultimately stupid, quote that likely came after a quart of gin.

That said, painter, I dig your posts. Keep 'em coming.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Loyal Opposition

Hey, Finn. Think Chance could have ever made the leap from philosopher to president?

Talk about appealing to Joe Six-Pack: "I can't write . . . I can't read . . . . I like to watch TV."

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Hey, Finn. Think Chance could have ever made the leap from philosopher to president?

Talk about appealing to Joe Six-Pack: "I can't write . . . I can't read . . . . I like to watch TV."

Regards,

D-Ray
I think Chance is smarter than at least several of the GOP hopefuls. I wouldn't trust Bachmann to do my gardening.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
A very pithy, but ultimately stupid, quote that likely came after a quart of gin.

That said, painter, I dig your posts. Keep 'em coming.
I expected no less from you finnbow.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
No Charles I was not. But that fact about the penal system... gets to the core of those that have delusions of grandeur. We are all special people and possess talents. With some...you just have to look harder.
There was an interesting article in the Atlantic a couple of issues back. It was about how much free will do we all really possess. The author noted that the mass murder in that Texas university tower (sorry I have forgotten his name) left a note about strange thoughts. The autopsy turned up a tunor in his brain in an area governing one's volition.

I have always been curious about odd behaviour and people like those we call "Idiot savant". I remember one regarding a young man who had a measurably very low IQ yet upon hearing a piece of music once could play it, as well as sing it if it had words.

Dr. Wilder Penfiel a noted Canadian brain surgeon was operating on a patient one time and the following occured. The patient was conscious with his head held in a precise position. Part of the skull was opened so that probes could be inserted. (They tell me that the brain has no feeling.) Dr. Penfield was seeking the precise area of the brain to treat and energized the probe. The patient lifted his arm and when Dr. Penfield asked him about it the patient said "Yes, my arm lifted but I did not will it to do so."

Is that an argument for the human soul? I will leave you to ponder that.

Last edited by merrylander; 08-30-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
There was an interesting article in the Atlantic a couple of issues back. It was about how much free will do we all really possess. The author noted that the mass murder in that Texas university tower (sorry I have forgotten his name) left a note about strange thoughts. The autopsy turned up a tunor in his brain in an area governing one's volition.

I have always been curious about odd behaviour and people like those we call "Idiot savant". I remember one regarding a young man who had a measurably very low IQ yet upon hearing a piece of music once could play it, as well as sing it if it had words.

Dr. Wilder Penfiel a noted Canadian brain surgeon was operating on a patient one time and the following occured. The patient was conscious with his head held in a precise position. Part of the skull was opened so that probes could be inserted. (They tell me that the brain has no feeling.) Dr. Penfield was seeking the precise area of the brain to treat and energized the probe. The patient lifted his arm and when Dr. Penfield asked him about it the patient said "Yes, my arm lifted but I did not will it to do so."

Is that an argument for the human soul? I will leave you to ponder that.
As a matter a fact...I just read that article. If you get chance...look up left brain/right brain issues. I have been experimenting with my painting styles and found it most interesting.