Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
And there is the problem, Canada's single payer is NOT socialized medicine. Not a single thing changed except the the government became the insurer. I imagine you could still buy regular health insurance if you are dumb enough.

Hospitals and doctors stayed exactly as they were before. Doctors may have gotten rid of some clerical staff since they no longer had the myriad of forms to fill out.
Well Rob generally speaking if the government takes over an enterprise that was previously in the private domain (insurance) that would be considered so************************m by many.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:22 AM

Drumrollllllll........chumpcare!!

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...sidies-n725331

Just what everyone wants.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Quote:
In its place, Americans who need assistance to purchase health care will receive a tax credit - able to be received in advanced on a monthly basis - based on age. A person under 30 is eligible for a $2000 tax credit while a person over 60 is eligible for a $4000 credit.
If I get $4,000 extra a year plus another $4,000 for my wife, you're damned right I want it!

And extra 8K in my pocket would be sweet.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
If I get $4,000 extra a year plus another $4,000 for my wife, you're damned right I want it!

Does it say in there if it's what's called a 'refundable' tax credit? If not, you'd 'get' the total of $8000 or the amount of your tax payable, whichever is less. That's if you both were eligible for $4000 in the first place. Which I figure medicare recipients would not be....
Old 02-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I always understood progressiveness to be focused on the future. You, however, are fixated on a candidate who is no longer running for office and bears little chance of ever again running for office. You insist on spewing bile, hoping to infect others with your particular neurosis, but you instead are providing a compelling example of behavior to avoid at all costs. Again and again you impart the lesson - don't be like him - old and bitter with nothing better to do than rage on the internet.
I am a colorful character and make a far greater contribution to this forum than you could possibly fathom. I provide flair and a unique point of view unequaled anywhere else in the universe. And my existence here, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves this forum from becoming a bland boring vanilla snoozefest. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. ***

***Full disclosure, much of the above post was taken from Colonel Jessup's rant in the movie "A few Good Men"
Old 02-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

AFAIK, this proposed tax credit is supposed to replace the Obamacare subsidy for those getting insurance from exchanges. It doesn't apply to employer-provided plans (including those offered to retirees from former employers). In other words, it offers you nothing.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
AFAIK, this proposed tax credit is supposed to replace the Obamacare subsidy for those getting insurance from exchanges. It doesn't apply to employer-provided plans (including those offered to retirees from former employers). In other words, it offers you nothing.
Well, it must be refundable, or just about everyone who qualified for Obamacare subsidies would get nothing.

That can't possibly be right -- can it?
Old 02-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Well, it must be refundable, or just about everyone who qualified for Obamacare subsidies would get nothing.

That can't possibly be right -- can it?
That's the hitch. Tax credits don't help poor people like they help rich people.

But the current system is set up to ensure that low and middle-income Americans can afford the cost of their premiums. The Republican plan would not do that, and would result in many more low-income people losing out on coverage if they couldn’t find the money to pay the gap between their fixed tax credit and the cost of a health plan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/u...r-to-rich.html

Maybe Ryan's plan should be called "Reverse Robin Hood Healthcare."
Old 02-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Well Rob generally speaking if the government takes over an enterprise that was previously in the private domain (insurance) that would be considered so************************m by many.
But that is the part that I don't believe happened , in effect the government became an insurance carrier, but to my knowledge you could, if you were dumb enough, buy one of the healthcare carriers.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I understand your zeal to piss on Tom Joad no matter what, but do you actually know that? Have you read the draft in detail? My bet is that you have not. Nor do you or I, or anyone else know what the final form of this bill will take, or if it will be implemented at all for that matter. However I will call your attention once again to the following that appears in item 10 of Paul Ryans Health Care reform talking points.

http://paulryan.house.gov/healthcare/pcaqanda.htm#3

Quote:
Under our plan, if you like the health coverage you have, you can keep it. If you have health insurance through your employer, nothing will change. For most Americans, the tax credit they will receive will cover the premiums for employer-provided health benefits they currently receive, as well as the marginal tax liability on the cost of health insurance provided by the employers which will be counted as wages.
Now, did this provision get included in the draft plan? I don't know, and I strongly suspect neither do you.

But let's assume that it didn't.

Does that mean I would not get any benefit from the plan?

Maybe?

Maybe not.

Right now I pay $388 a month for my BCBS PPO plan to supplement what is not covered by Medicare and Medicare part B. When my wife goes on Medicare next year that will be another $388 a month for her supplement.

That's $776 a month. Or $9,312 a year.

So I gotta ask myself, do I wanna shell out $9,312 a year for supplemental insurance and get no subsidy? Or do I take the $8 grand and see what I can get for that. Shit if I can find a policy that will supplement Medicare for both of us for $15 grand, then minus the $8 grand that I'd get as a subsidy, I'll still be ahead of the game. I realize that you ran out of fingers and toes a long way back, but those numbers are right, trust me on that.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 02-25-2017 at 03:07 PM.