Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Area Man

So, what are you reading now?

Thought this might be a good companion to the music thread, so long as we can keep the arguments out. It might be difficult given the subject nature of some of the books, but I figured it was worth a try.

I just finished "Winner Takes All" an excellent book on politics as it relates to the economy of the last thirty years. Recommended for anyone who can take the truth, warts and all.

Next in the queue is "Someplace like America" by Dale Maharidge, This is a followup to his 1985 book "Journey to Nowhere". Dale and his photographer have been following a homeless Vietnam veteran and his brother, people displaced and disenfranchised by industrial decline and natural disasters (Katrina), their varied stories of desperation, hope, failures and in some cases success in overcoming difficulties. But, it's more about the journey than it is the outcome. It covers an America many of us have never seen.

After that, "The Closing of the American Mind".

Dave
Old 08-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Resident octogenarian

I read the "Winner take all Politics" and "Corporations are not people". but I am still scanning, scanning, scanning, count is up over 550. Lucky that HP sends me a big packet of 4x6 photo paper with every ink order 'casue I have all my digital pics to print out. But the granddaughters will have fun. They will be here next week for a visit. No time for reading.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Tony Horwitz - A Voyage Long and Strange. This book by one of my favorite contemporary writers tracks the various exploratory expeditions and settlements of North America prior to the Pilgrims. He has a bunch of other great titles too. All are recommended.

P.J. O'Rourke - Holidays in Hell . One of his earlier works I haven't yet read. Great, funny and insightful writing by one of my favorite humor writers about his trips to nasty places when he was political editor for the Rolling Stone. His chapter on visiting Jim and Tammy Baker's Christian Holiday Resort in South Carolina is priceless.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:05 AM

Steven King 11/22/63
Old 08-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Steven King 11/22/63
How is it? I was a big King fan back in the '80s. Haven't read any of his stuff since "Bag of Bones".

Dave
Old 09-07-2012, 05:30 PM

shelters of stone.

I sure miss reading the two towers series by i think Stephen king.

The wise man and imminent junky part i thought funny. Over all fun series though.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetaudio6 View Post
shelters of stone.

I sure miss reading the two towers series by i think Stephen king.

The wise man and imminent junky part i thought funny. Over all fun series though.
That's "Dark Towers" and yes, that was King. I never read that series, but, I've read nearly everything else, as I said, up tp "Bag of Bones". Including the "Bachman Books".

Dave
Old 09-07-2012, 05:48 PM

yeah dark towers. I read em before i turned 17 i think. Very good books. I recommend a read of them. I also read almost all his books until the late 90s. Then i just stopped reading books altogether.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Area Man

Just started reading "Someplace like America". Fascinating. He speaks of how the book was named in the Preface. He was camped out with some homeless people, squatting in a public park in California back in 2003, when cops with batons already drawn and helmets on emerged at 3 a.m. and began beating people as they scattered. (One woman was killed, still in her slleping bag, and the case never even made to the news.) Later, he asked "Red" the Vietnam Vet, "How can something like this happen?" Reds reply; "What? In someplace like America, where even homeless people are supposed to have inaliable rights? Happens every day, man."

Dave
Old 09-07-2012, 06:02 PM

"A History of the European Economy, 1000-2000"
Francois Crouzet, 2001