Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Admin

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions of Alabama

Anyone catching the remarkable doings in the Senate tonight?

The Hon. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts was reading Coretta Scott King's letter to congress objecting to Sessions' appointment to a judgeship back in the day. Lo and behold, Sen. McConnell of Kentucky (and noted turtle impersonator) invoked Rule 19 to force Liz to sit down and shut her yap.

Hoo boy.

Last edited by bobabode; 02-08-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 PM
Admin

Liz and Hillz in 2020!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 AM
Admin

"Senate Republicans passed a party-line rebuke Tuesday night of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) for a speech opposing attorney general nominee Jeff Sessions, striking down her words for impugning the Alabama senator’s character.
In an extraordinarily rare move, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) interrupted Warren’s speech, in a near-empty chamber as debate on Sessions’s nomination heads toward a Wednesday evening vote, and said that she had breached Senate rules by reading past statements against Sessions from figures such as the late senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) and the late Coretta Scott King.
“The senator has impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama,” McConnell said, then setting up a series of roll-call votes on Warren’s conduct.
It was the latest clash in the increasingly hostile debate over confirming President Trump’s Cabinet, during which Democrats have accused Republicans of trying to force through nominees without proper vetting. Democrats, unable to stop the confirmations that require simple majorities, have countered by using extreme delay tactics that have dragged out the process longer than any in history for a new president’s Cabinet.
The Democratic moves, including boycotting committee room votes on nominees last week and a round-the-clock debate Monday night before Tuesday’s confirmation of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, reached a boiling point during the debate over Sessions — which Democrats are vowing to continue overnight.
In setting up the votes to rebuke Warren, McConnell specifically cited portions of a letter that King, the widow of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., wrote to the Senate Judiciary Committee in opposition to Sessions’s 1986 nomination to be a federal judge." WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a5a9aa2b358b

Sucks to have the shoe on the other foot, eh Turtle?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:59 AM

I like Warren, but I also think she tends to grandstand a bit too much. In this instance, she was warned and she continued, then she was found in violation. She could have stopped or changed her tone after the warning, but she chose to continue. I think she was hoping for something like this to happen to give the incident more publicity. It really worked out perfectly for her, she gets to play the victim while pushing the same message to a now much larger crowd.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Persona non grata

I used to like Warren, but when she threw her lot in with Hillary over Bernie she lost any chance of getting my vote if she runs.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN124308 View Post
I like Warren, but I also think she tends to grandstand a bit too much. In this instance, she was warned and she continued, then she was found in violation. She could have stopped or changed her tone after the warning, but she chose to continue. I think she was hoping for something like this to happen to give the incident more publicity. It really worked out perfectly for her, she gets to play the victim while pushing the same message to a now much larger crowd.
This helps her resume if she were to run for President in 2020.
Besides now that H--> has been put to pasture, this helps her profile with the progressive wing.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Resident octogenarian

Turtleman is a flaming hypocrite and should he need someone to censure he need only find mirror.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
This helps her resume if she were to run for President in 2020.
Besides now that H--> has been put to pasture, this helps her profile with the progressive wing.
Oh, no doubt. But it also plays into the ever widening partisan divide in our national politics. I understand the purpose of "firebrands" like Senator Warren, but I do think our Senate needs some members that are ready and willing to work together and actually accomplish some governing, rather than just playing party politics and always looking to the next election.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Just theater, no ill effect to the ruling party, it is a takeover. Preview of the days ahead for what to expect now .

In a few weeks once the seat is filled on the supreme court, fait accompli!

Can't really call it a Coup d'état because the citizens just seem to accept or deny the new way of governing.

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 02-08-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN124308 View Post
Oh, no doubt. But it also plays into the ever widening partisan divide in our national politics. I understand the purpose of "firebrands" like Senator Warren, but I do think our Senate needs some members that are ready and willing to work together and actually accomplish some governing, rather than just playing party politics and always looking to the next election.
Unfortunately apart from one or two GOP members the chances of that happening are so remote as to be negligible. We saw what happened to DeVos yet hundreds of conservative phoned and emailed their GOP Senators, it was not simply the Dems. The woman is hopelessly unfit for the cabinet post.

Last edited by merrylander; 02-08-2017 at 02:57 PM.