Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:02 PM

After his crocodile tears over the Charlottesville hate groups, Trump refused to answer reporters' questions, and called real journalist Jim Acosta "fake news". Still an asshole.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tr...rticle/2631475
Old 08-14-2017, 03:05 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Meanwhile, a father denounces his own neo-Nazi son who participated in the Charlottesville rally in terms far stronger than Trump could muster.

My name is Pearce Tefft, and I am writing to all, with regards to my youngest son, Peter Tefft, an avowed white nationalist who has been featured in a number of local news stories over the last several months.

On Friday night, my son traveled to Charlottesville, Va., and was interviewed by a national news outlet while marching with reported white nationalists, who allegedly went on to kill a person.

I, along with all of his siblings and his entire family, wish to loudly repudiate my son’s vile, hateful and racist rhetoric and actions. We do not know specifically where he learned these beliefs. He did not learn them at home.

I have shared my home and hearth with friends and acquaintances of every race, gender and creed. I have taught all of my children that all men and women are created equal. That we must love each other all the same.

Evidently Peter has chosen to unlearn these lessons, much to my and his family’s heartbreak and distress. We have been silent up until now, but now we see that this was a mistake. It was the silence of good people that allowed the Nazis to flourish the first time around, and it is the silence of good people that is allowing them to flourish now.

Peter Tefft, my son, is not welcome at our family gatherings any longer. I pray my prodigal son will renounce his hateful beliefs and return home. Then and only then will I lay out the feast.

His hateful opinions are bringing hateful rhetoric to his siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews as well as his parents. Why must we be guilty by association? Again, none of his beliefs were learned at home. We do not, never have, and never will, accept his twisted worldview.

He once joked, “The thing about us fascists is, it’s not that we don’t believe in freedom of speech. You can say whatever you want. We’ll just throw you in an oven.”

Peter, you will have to shovel our bodies into the oven, too. Please son, renounce the hate, accept and love all.

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/lette...ic-and-actions
Old 08-14-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yet, it seems you go out of your way to stand in the middle of that mile.
Not at all. What happened in Charlottesville isn't even unprecedented. Nearly the same thing happened in Sacramento, CA not quite a year ago. The only significant difference between then and now is the occupant of the White House, and the left's attempts to place the blame on that occupant. Do you recall President Obama's comments after the Sacramento riot? I don't.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Not at all. What happened in Charlottesville isn't even unprecedented. Nearly the same thing happened in Sacramento, CA not quite a year ago. The only significant difference between then and now is the occupant of the White House, and the left's attempts to place the blame on that occupant. Do you recall President Obama's comments after the Sacramento riot? I don't.
More "whataboutery" deflection.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
More whataboutism from you. Why am I not surprised?

Obama didn't run for office by deliberately and overtly appealing to (and seeking the support of) leftist anarchists as Trump did with the Alt-Right, nor did he have a bunch of them on his White House staff. For that matter, leftist anarchists weren't fans of Obama or his governing philosophy, unlike the love affair the Neo-Nazis have for your Dear Leader.

The reason people wanted Trump to speak out against the Alt-Right was because he has empowered, emboldened and supported their ascendance while hiring a number of them to his White House staff. Obama did none of the above for the leftist anarchists. In short, they were not his people. The Alt-Right and Neo-Nazis are, however, most assuredly Trump people.

Last edited by finnbow; 08-14-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
More "whataboutery" deflection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
More whataboutism from you. Why am I not surprised?

Obama didn't run for office by deliberately and overtly appealing to (and seeking the support of) leftist anarchists as Trump did with the Alt-Right, nor did he have a bunch of them on his White House staff. ....

Obama did none of the above for the leftist anarchists. In short, they were not his people. The Alt-Right and Neo-Nazis are, however, most assuredly Trump people.
You two copy off each other in grade school too?

If Trump is being criticized for "what he didn't say" regarding Charlottesville, I think its certainly appropriate that Obama be subject to criticism for what he didn't day after Sacramento.

Did Obama not host at the White House and praise the BLM folks? Yes. Did BLM engage in violence? Yes. Are BLM folks leftists? Yes. Are they anarchists? Unclear, but the Antifa crowd certainly is, and both BLM and Antifa were represented in both Charlottesville and Sacramento.

Sorry you don't like it, but its a fair and appropriate question.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
These "nut cases" are on a mission. They plan larger scale activities in other cities. And they are armed. So should all of the sane people sit silently by?

I agree that the white supremacists have First Amendment rights of speech and assembly. Those rights protect against limitations or restrictions imposed by governmental bodies. Corporations, such as Godaddy, are not governmental entities. Individuals or groups who organize boycotts of advertisers on websites or broadcast outlets who give a platform to the white supremacists are also exercising their right to speak and to assemble. Simply because such groups are competing successfully in the marketplace of ideas does not mean that there has been an interference with First Amendment rights.

I believe if an ORGANIZED opposition had not been sent you and I would have never even known there had been an event.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:07 PM
Loyal Opposition

I don't think that anarchists fit well into the left, although they are quite distinct from fascists . It is not, however, a huge step from libertarian thought to anarchy. Anarchy is certainly a far cry from the concept of the Social Contract.

Any well publicized demonstration will attract its fair share of opportunists. Certainly disruption is the name of the game for anarchists. Such disruption does not advance an equitable social order. Anarchists do not speak (or act) for the left.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroJunk View Post
I believe if an ORGANIZED opposition had not been sent you and I would have never even known there had been an event.
The answer to free speech is more free speech. You seem to have an objection to this sentiment, zero. Why?
Old 08-14-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
The answer to free speech is more free speech. You seem to have an objection to this sentiment, zero. Why?
Free speech does not include body armor, clubs, guns, helmets, etc.

And, both sides had them.