Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Frankly, I think that degradation of the site occurs when folks are not able to express themselves - on a forum that is based upon written expression - but nevertheless, endlessly engage in drive-by echoing of talking points and hurling of insults.

Regards,

D-Ray
And in a political forum there is always going to be talking points—you bleeding heart lefty!
Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Is it the terms "wing nut" and "'Bagger" / "Teabagger" themselves that bother you or their application as a pejorative to certain members of this forum?
The problem with wingnut and its left side twin, moonbat, is they have lost all meaning due to being too broadly applied. Bagger and teabagger were always derogatory since they described a sexual act. Unfortunately, initially quite a number of folks (proper church going & God fearing folk ) referred to as teabaggers had no idea what it meant. I refrain from using derogatory terms in direct reference to members, but have no problem with calling their positions or favored public figures names. A lot of problems on forums is due to a lack of understanding and background information on correspondents.

BTW, what's PIO80? A Paper In Oil Capacitor?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
What the hell happened to Political Chat? We used to have relatively good discussions here without the name calling and denigration of the opposition party. I have not been here in a year and my perusal of recent posts was rather startling wrt of the name calling. BTW, I'm glad to see a lot of the same people are still here.
No we didn't. Back then it was TD and a few others doing all of the trash talking, so it was okay with you. This is why you recall it as the "Good 'ol Days" at PC.

That is all.

Dave
Old 04-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Ready

Quote:
I should have been more clear. I'm referring to the direct name calling that I feel is more prevalent than it once was. I have no problem referring to a public figure using derogatory terms. There's a difference between calling Harry Reid an ass and directly insulting a fellow board member IMHO. I think about as far as I've went is referring to progressives as leftist, but I think the use of wingnut and bagger are far worse. You'll also note that my stridency will vary depending upon to whom I'm responding and the tenor of their posts.
Snark is ok in it's place--and much easier to take if you have a existing relationship based on some measure of mutual respect, and some confidence in the other's fundamental good will. You seem to enjoy the benefit of such with some other members here. We, on the other hand, may have got off a bit on the wrong foot.

Perhaps we can start over?

Of course, you just declared your belief in rational self-determination. I think that's a convincing theory, that flatters the person who believes in it. Alas, I've never even heard of an actual rational man, and I think the construct is a myth. People may make rational calculations of ways and means, but the 'ends' are selected in accordance with their values and sentiments, which were never made by reason.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
The problem with wingnut and its left side twin, moonbat, is they have lost all meaning due to being too broadly applied. Bagger and teabagger were always derogatory since they described a sexual act. Unfortunately, initially quite a number of folks (proper church going & God fearing folk ) referred to as teabaggers had no idea what it meant. I refrain from using derogatory terms in direct reference to members, but have no problem with calling their positions or favored public figures names. A lot of problems on forums is due to a lack of understanding and background information on correspondents.
I didn't know there was any innuendo potential with the Tea party refs, I'll make a point not to look it up as I have with other stuff I wish I had never read. I've considered "wing nut" terminology for an extremist on either end of the spectrum but will take your word that it is most commonly directed rightward.
I consider the Progressive era and it's reforms the time this country matured into an admirable 1st world nation, and abhor the aggressive overt and covert tearing away of the checks and balances and protections that were achieved and established then by forces I associate with the Conservative movement and lately the Tea Party in order to IMO return the country to a pre-Progressive era 19th Century industrial feudal State. I don't know what that makes me, but one of the reasons I am here is to try to understand the motivations of the folks that endorse this course of events and perhaps, to engage them in civil discourse for that understanding.

Quote:
Paper-in-oil is a reasonable assumption.
PIO1980 is for the iconic Pioneer SX-1980 TOTL monster stereo receiver of 1979. I was gifted on in pieces and it's acquisition brought me to AK for advice and information on how best to deal with it.

Last edited by Pio1980; 04-13-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Ready

Quote:
Basic communications: when the sender and receiver come away with the same content, communication has occurred. But I doubt that most users of 'terabagger' intend to send the sexual meaning you suggest. In fact, though I am neither church-going nor God-fearing, I had not heard of this supposed 'sexual meaning' until now. So if a receiver has ever ascribed such meaning to one of my infrequent uses of the term, that would have been a communication error.

Quote:
Error-check your transcription, first. Then insert a delimiter between the first three characters and the last four, and all should be clear.

[On edit: I really do type too slow....]
Old 04-12-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post

PIO1980 is for the iconic Pioneer SX-1980 TOTL monster stereo receiver of 1979. I was gifted on in pieces and it's acquisition brought me to AK for advice and information on how best to deal with it.
So did you get it fixed up, and if so how do you like it? I heard it's a beast!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
So did you get it fixed up, and if so how do you like it? I heard it's a beast!
Yes I did, and it is! I really had no place or use for it and given it's worth vs it's presentable condition I put it on Craig's List at what I thought a ridiculous price at the time ($1700) pick-up only, to see what might happen. An Italian IT guy working in Brussels contacted me not long after and begged me to sell it to him and ship it at his expense, which I did. I split the takings with the guy that gave it to me in spite of his protestations that I owed him nothing. So it's long-gone and I've moved on to other audio interests.

Last edited by Pio1980; 04-12-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Area Man

Do you ever regret that? I can think of a few pieces I regret selling. I recall selling a set of Vandersteen 2Ce Sigs to a guy who started telling me all about all of the hackjob mods he was planning for them, and the pair he ruined just before he bought mine..........after I accepted the money.

He literally mentioned taking a saw to them.

I felt like punching him in the head.

Dave
Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Do you ever regret that? I can think of a few pieces I regret selling. I recall selling a set of Vandersteen 2Ce Sigs to a guy who started telling me all about all of the hackjob mods he was planning for them, and the pair he ruined just before he bought mine..........after I accepted the money.

He literally mentioned taking a saw to them.

I felt like punching him in the head.

Dave
No, not really. It's value & cdx rather intimidated me and it wasn't ultimately what I wanted to do with that set-up, which became an experimental minimalist audiophile system.