Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So do I, but I have a feeling that if I started charging people $5 per nail not only would I not get paid, I may well wind up in criminal court.

Chas
You just need to find customers who pass on the bill to an insurance company or government agency and don't care about the price of your nail.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
You just need to find customers who pass on the bill to an insurance company or government agency and don't care about the price of your nail.
You do realize hospitals overcharge to cover the cost of uninsured patients, right? The "customer" doesn't pay at all. No premium, no co-pays......nothing.

It's similar to the effect shoplifting has on retail pricing. Except, we can't really prosecute people for getting sick or hurt. That wouldn't be right. So, we pay their way in the most inefficient manor possible; Through grossly inflated pricing.

That's the shit system we had before ACA.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-27-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
You do realize hospitals overcharge to cover the cost of uninsured patients, right? The "customer" doesn't pay at all. No premium, no co-pays......nothing.

It's similar to the effect shoplifting has on retail pricing. Except, we can't really prosecute people for getting sick or hurt. That wouldn't be right. So, we pay their way in the most inefficient manor possible; Through grossly inflated pricing.

That's the shit system we had before ACA.

Dave
Actually, ACA is proving to be the most inefficient way possible, just as many warned it would.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Actually, ACA is proving to be the most inefficient way possible, just as many warned it would.
No, the website is inefficient. We have not seen the ACA in operation yet. That won't happen until after the new year.

I suspect, like all legislation of this magnitude, there will be some bumps in the road at first and then the dust will settle and things will work out.

The Medicare reform roll out was much the same....except the glitches didn't get so much media attention at the time.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 PM

When the government decided the poor and geographically disadvantaged should have subsidized telephone service, they managed to do so without large swaths of the population losing their phone plans, and being forced into only a few choices with features they don't need or want, or some advisory board deciding where we can call, or if we can have call waiting, or when we've done our share of communicating. We just pay a fee, clearly indicated as a line item on our invoice each month.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
No, the website is inefficient. We have not seen the ACA in operation yet. That won't happen until after the new year.

I suspect, like all legislation of this magnitude, there will be some bumps in the road at first and then the dust will settle and things will work out.

The Medicare reform roll out was much the same....except the glitches didn't get so much media attention at the time.
Exactly. I nearly busted out laughing while on the treadmill at the gym this morning. Those grinning jackasses at FoxNews trumpeting the failure of Obamacare. A little early, aint it? Kind of like someone trumpeting the failure of the internet in 1980.

Who is the idiot that falls for that kind of crap?

Oh, yeah......................

Dave
Old 11-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Ready

Nice analogy--Internet 1980. We won't know hoe 'efficinet' the ACA is for a fer years.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Area Man

At any rate, I thought the point of healthcare reform wasn't necessarily greater efficiency, but rather coverage extended to more people? Wasn't it? Ponder how and by whom the bitching about efficiency came about. As I recall, the president openly asked the Dumbo Party how it was even possible to cover more people without raising anyones taxes and has, as yet, to get an answer.............after nearly five years.

I remember some of the more slow-witted in our nation bitching that they refuse to pay for anyone else. (Completely ignoring the fact that they already do. Because, as a nation, we're too kind hearted to simply let people drop dead until their health situation becomes hopelessly untenable.)

Hmmmm..............?

Dave
Old 11-28-2013, 06:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Was we already devote 18% of the budget to healthcare, over twice what any other industrialized nation spends, yet we do not cover the whole population, so don't talk to us about efficiency. Yeah twice as much for half the care.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
When the government decided the poor and geographically disadvantaged should have subsidized telephone service, they managed to do so without large swaths of the population losing their phone plans, and being forced into only a few choices with features they don't need or want, or some advisory board deciding where we can call, or if we can have call waiting, or when we've done our share of communicating. We just pay a fee, clearly indicated as a line item on our invoice each month.
Oh...the poor, oppressed people of this country, forced to change their insurance plans. Victimized by teh evul Obamacare. Oh woe is them on a stick. When the people of this country were being forced to change their health plans and doctors, by insurance companies every couple of years (for the last 4 decades), when the people of this country were forced out of their PPO into some piece of shit HMO plan by their employers who could no longer afford the PPO plans (read...maximize profits), was the country rising up over it? No. When it's at the hands of the insurance industry or employers over and over again...not a peep out of anybody.

But when it's driven by a government program that will provide coverage for 30 million uninsured/uninsurable Americans, including disadvantaged children all across the fruited plain, then it's a catastrophe and an outrage.

This "I have to change my doctor/my plan." whining is just another dose of "business good/government bad" right-wing bullshit.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 11-28-2013 at 07:11 AM.