Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I can see none of youse guys have a teenage girl to buy for...I spent $175 on Bethany at the mall in Knoxville for shoes, 3-4 pairs of jeans, & a handbag...Then my wife turned around & dropped nearly $300 on her for pens, pencils, notebooks, dividers, sticky notes, index cards, drawers(underwear), socks, undershirts, a couple of "cute" tops, assorted other bric-a-brac...I told Bethany when we were in the mall that I wished I had enuff moolah to give her & Lauriann-my wife- $1000 each, turn 'em loose in the mall, & see which one of 'em could get rid of it fastest...Couldn't buy just one thing, either...Bethany grinned at me & said, "$2500 would be better..."
Yep, nothing like making a young girl happy.

Good job Sandy.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinover View Post
Hadn't seen that, thanks for pissing me off for the afternoon bro!

My wife and I took the kids shopping at Kmart of all places last week. The bill? $322.00 Don't ask me what they spent it on but it's damn sure not in my checkbook the next day. I should add that probably $75.00 was for other shit but still, it's only 2 kids for Christ's sake.

Just got my tax bill, guess what? Yup, school taxes went up again so the kids can be just as dumb as last year.
Sure, skool costs a lot money, an' keepin' up with th' Jone's ain't cheap neither.

But ya need to ask yerself one impotent question...is th' football team winnin'?

Git yer pryoritee' straight. Tit's impotent.

Chas
Old 08-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

But ya need to ask yerself one impotent question...is th' football team winnin'?
Are you suggesting that sports programs are a waste of taxpayers money?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Are you suggesting that sports programs are a waste of taxpayers money?
Whenever the football team is more important than academics, yes.

Chas
Old 08-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Whenever the football team is more important than academics, yes.

Chas
When is that?

Frankly on Friday night I have no issue with this being the case.
I think athletics is far to overlooked as part of the educational preparedness that a good school system should provide.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Down here, football is sort of a religion...ESPECIALLY The Mighty Vols, otherwise known as University of Tennessee. Nevermind that their last really good season was in '98, when they won-supposedly-the National Championship, there are people here who eat, sleep, & die by Tennessee Football. They got rid of their last coach-Fat Phil Fulmer, & have got a new coach this year, so nobody's really expecting too much...We shall see. But I think something is out of whack when the football coach makes more than the president of the university...Especially when UT has SO much more going for it than being simply a football school.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:09 PM

I was on the science team in school, but all that was ever good for was getting beat up by the jocks.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Down here, football is sort of a religion...ESPECIALLY The Mighty Vols, otherwise known as University of Tennessee. Nevermind that their last really good season was in '98, when they won-supposedly-the National Championship, there are people here who eat, sleep, & die by Tennessee Football. They got rid of their last coach-Fat Phil Fulmer, & have got a new coach this year, so nobody's really expecting too much...We shall see. But I think something is out of whack when the football coach makes more than the president of the university...Especially when UT has SO much more going for it than being simply a football school.
see we do agree.

guess who the top paid public employee in the state of NJ is.
Or Connecticut.

Last edited by noonereal; 08-15-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:56 PM

....And it gets even better. I see that paragon of sportsmanlike virtue, Michael Vick, has been signed w/the Philadelphia Eagles. He COULD have a long career yet in the NFL, becoming an object of adoration for thousands upon thousands of young boys thruout the land. This person-I hate to call him a "man"-should NEVER have been allowed to play for a professional sports team again, nor should any of the many other thugs who have killed, murdered or raped, dealt drugs, illegally gambled, "threw" games-and have been quietly "shuffled under the rug" since they're such good athletes. Actually, I think that people like Vick, since they ARE so venerated, should be made examples of, instead of being able to use their money & influence to get lesser punishment.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
....And it gets even better. I see that paragon of sportsmanlike virtue, Michael Vick, has been signed w/the Philadelphia Eagles. He COULD have a long career yet in the NFL, becoming an object of adoration for thousands upon thousands of young boys thruout the land. This person-I hate to call him a "man"-should NEVER have been allowed to play for a professional sports team again, nor should any of the many other thugs who have killed, murdered or raped, dealt drugs, illegally gambled, "threw" games-and have been quietly "shuffled under the rug" since they're such good athletes. Actually, I think that people like Vick, since they ARE so venerated, should be made examples of, instead of being able to use their money & influence to get lesser punishment.
Aint' like me to disagree with ya Sandy, but here goes.

If this is Vick's only transgression, and he gives it up, what's say we give him a pass. Some folks were raised to see dog fighting as normal. I wasn't, but others were.

Now if he's a thug like what's normal in not only the NFL, but all professional sports...well that's different.

Let's give him a break for the time being.

Chas