Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 PM

Religion has had it's time.

Is it time to put aside religion. We've all heard the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. I think 5000-6000 years is a good enough track record to prove it doesn't work except to hold back the advancement of the human race with close mindedness. It's not needed for morality. Anyone can be moral and most people are born that way. I just wish religion would get out of the way and let the human race fulfill it's potential.

Last edited by sanford12; 01-23-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Jigsawed

As long as there are enough people seeking a god to explain our existence
religion will remain a powerful force.

And a god is the easiest answer in every society both ancient and modern to the complexities of man's existence.

Last edited by Dondilion; 01-23-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 PM

Science and knowledge is the natural fact based progression from unproven deities and faith based belief. Hopefully it's sway(religion) will diminish. The explanation for our existence is already there and doesn't need mysticism to muck things up like the nut bag with the museum where children are depicted riding dinosaurs. The bible was written by people who didn't have the knowledge or means to interpret events or phenomenon and some were just plain crazy. It is very easy to relinquish responsibility and just put it all on the shoulders of something else. For me the thought of that is quite chilling.

Last edited by sanford12; 01-23-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Admin

Hiya Sanford. Good thread and I'm a son of a preacher man and a non church goin' nominal Methodist.

Love the Ed Murrow avatar btw.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:50 PM

If not for the Bible, and as many people fearing burning in hell as there are, how many people would go out and kill others rather than let the law handle it if they knew for a fact there was no God to answer to? Hell, just look how bad some groups act from the middle east .. they act out much different than Christians. Would you want to take it all away, and everyone live in a free for all world where nobody feared any consequence for their actions?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
If not for the Bible, and as many people fearing burning in hell as there are, how many people would go out and kill others rather than let the law handle it if they knew for a fact there was no God to answer to? Hell, just look how bad some groups act from the middle east .. they act out much different than Christians. Would you want to take it all away, and everyone live in a free for all world where nobody feared any consequence for their actions?
I dunno, those Christians have showed some pretty barbaric tendencies in the not all that distant past. Burnings at the stake and such.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I don't think very many. Most people are basically good. Our instincts are to work together. It's kind of built in. I think you be surprised how many so called christians would resort to barbarism against other groups without a police force to hold them in check. There's always that bad egg ready to stir the pot. The thought of jail is a much bigger deterrent

Last edited by sanford12; 01-23-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I dunno, those Christians have showed some pretty barbaric tendencies in the not all that distant past. Burnings at the stake and such.
Oh yes, indeed there were and are hypocrites no doubt. Some far worse than others. But theres more good than bad Christians by far, IMO.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Hiya Sanford. Good thread and I'm a son of a preacher man and a non church goin' nominal Methodist.

Love the Ed Murrow avatar btw.
What's up bobabode? Thanks. Mr. Murrow is a hero to me and someone to look up to and seems appropriate for this forum. Been meaning to get over here for sometime. Much easier to have a civilized discussion about hot topics here. Face to face people tend to get out of hand. Typing helps slows things down and get your thoughts in line.

Last edited by sanford12; 01-24-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
But theres more good than bad Christians by far, IMO.
I believe that too.