Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:12 PM

Humanism has the answers

Humanism is the understanding that we are all alone on this planet in determining the moral and ethical standards for ourselves as humans, without so-called "divine guidance". In fact, humans have determined the factors that provide for a manner to live together in a ethical manner since the beginning of the species. Often, however, humans have also overlaid humanist findings with myth and superstition and called it "religion".
Old 11-17-2014, 02:21 PM

I read The Stranger by Camus once also.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Resident octogenarian

So then the Sermon on the Mount was just superstition? I'm curious as to how loving one's neighbor as oneself would be such a terrible thing? I will grant you than Man has taken Christ's teaching and distorted them to amass great amounts of money. Or to erect great edifices instead of teaching people to think. The money spent on that Crystal whatever would have been better spent on schools. If someone would be so good as to show me where in the New Testament such things were recommended I would be delighted as perhaps I have missed it with my failing eyesight. There are other threads here in PC describing the hatred that seems to have taken hold in this world, Yet I do not recall my Mother (the former Sunday School teacher) suggesting to me that God is Hate. Rather she stressed the words of Saint John - "He that knows not love knows not God, for God is Love". It is a powerful force I know from experience. I am certain that there were times when I disappointed my parents but their love never wavered. If there is anything in my character that is worthwhile it surely is because of that love.

So welcome to PC, always good to see fresh ideas here.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Ready

I don't think it is said that the sermon on the mount is pure superstition. You are not correctly separating ethical teachings from religious teachings, and so assuming the ethical teachings are being attacked. The questions, rather, are about things like the claim that the person who gave the sermon on the mount was the Son of God or some such.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsup1000 View Post
Humanism is the understanding that we are all alone on this planet in determining the moral and ethical standards for ourselves as humans, without so-called "divine guidance". In fact, humans have determined the factors that provide for a manner to live together in a ethical manner since the beginning of the species. Often, however, humans have also overlaid humanist findings with myth and superstition and called it "religion".
Yep. And we must not overlook how politicians use religion to hoodwink the faithful. "Vote for me or God will be pissed!". They do it all the time.

Dave
Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I don't think it is said that the sermon on the mount is pure superstition. You are not correctly separating ethical teachings from religious teachings, and so assuming the ethical teachings are being attacked. The questions, rather, are about things like the claim that the person who gave the sermon on the mount was the Son of God or some such.
Does it matter? That does not invalidate his teachings. If a person believes then in a sense we are all his children. What also must be remembered is that the original texts of the New Testament were translated by men with all their potential mistakes. Then of course Constantine had his boys work it over.

BTW it was man that insisted or determined that following Christ's teaching was a 'religion' and so despite the translation errors I sincerely doubt that he ever called them such.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-18-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Our attempt at humanistic government was an unmitigated disaster.

Pete
Old 11-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Our attempt at humanistic government was an unmitigated disaster.

Pete
Our attempt at government based on your imaginary friend and his omnipresent Dad was even worse.

We committed all sorts of nasty human rights violations when we thought it was our "God" - given right.

Dave
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Worse than Soviet Russia?

Pete
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Ready

The big problem with Soviet Russia, I submit, was not humanism, it was totalitarianism. Stemmed from the foundation of the state by angry nihilistic revolutionaries, who sought to annihilate all power and institutions in society not subservient to themselves, and succeeded all too well.

Humanism was, for them, just one of their weapons.

Last edited by donquixote99; 01-24-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: fixed typo