Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Jigsawed

The christian religion is important to me because it provides a conscience. More to the point it not only provides (a conscience) for me but for others. At least we have a basic floor on which to stand.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The christian religion is important to me because it provides a conscience. More to the point it not only provides (a conscience) for me but for others. At least we have a basic floor on which to stand.
I agree and may I add Buddha and Mohammed to the floor? The teachings are remarkably the same in their message regardless of human interpertations.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The implication here is that a moral code based in Christianity is essential to having what you refer to as a conscience. Is that what you believe? Can not Bhuddists, Jews, or Muslim possess a conscience? Can atheists?

John
Old 06-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
My questions are along the same lines as others have asked.........your words imply that one can not have a conscience if one is not christian.
And yet......I consider myself a person with a conscience......I have a very solid base when it comes to my values..........how can that be if I am not a christain?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Conversely,....... how do you reconcile all of the "christians" who commit henious acts seemingly without conscience?

Last edited by barbara; 06-09-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
And yet......I consider myself a person with a conscience......I have a very solid base when it comes to my values..........how can that be if I am not a christain?
What has shaped, influenced your conscience.... solid values?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Conversely,....... how do you reconcile all of the "christians" who commit henious acts seemingly without conscience?
Especially those committed in the name of religion.

John
Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Loyal Opposition

I was raised as a Christian, and that is how I see the world. However, I believe in a God that is universal and not subject to strictures that human institutions place on Him. I have done some research on the Golden Rule recently. Rob likes to quote Rabbi Hillel, and the quote is one of my favorites as well:
“That which is hateful to you, do not unto another: This is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary.”
Not surprisingly, the principle of the Golden Rule is found in many religions. While a Christian upbringing offers an opportunity to learn this just way of treating each other, the Christian community does not hold proprietary rights in the principle. For Example:

Native American Spirituality:

"Do not wrong or hate your neighbor. For it is not he who you wrong, but yourself." Pima proverb.

Roman Pagan Religion:

"The law imprinted on the hearts of all men is to love the members of society as themselves."

Shinto:

"The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form" Munetada Kurozumi

"Be charitable to all beings, love is the representative of God." Ko-ji-ki Hachiman Kasuga

Sikhism:

Compassion-mercy and religion are the support of the entire world". Japji Sahib

"Don't create enmity with anyone as God is within everyone." Guru Arjan Devji 259

"No one is my enemy, none a stranger and everyone is my friend." Guru Arjan Dev : AG 1299

Sufism:

"The basis of Sufism is consideration of the hearts and feelings of others. If you haven't the will to gladden someone's heart, then at least beware lest you hurt someone's heart, for on our path, no sin exists but this." Dr. Javad Nurbakhsh, Master of the Nimatullahi Sufi Order.

Taoism:

"Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss." T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien.

"The sage has no interest of his own, but takes the interests of the people as his own. He is kind to the kind; he is also kind to the unkind: for Virtue is kind. He is faithful to the faithful; he is also faithful to the unfaithful: for Virtue is faithful." Tao Teh Ching, Chapter 49.

Unitarian Universalism:

"The inherent worth and dignity of every person;"
"Justice, equity and compassion in human relations.... "
"The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;"
"We affirm and promote respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part." Unitarian principles. 1,2

Wicca:

"An it harm no one, do what thou wilt" (i.e. do what ever you will, as long as it harms nobody, including yourself). This is called the Wiccan Rede

Yoruba: (Nigeria):

"One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."

Zoroastrianism:

"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself". Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5

"Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others." Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
What has shaped, influenced your conscience.... solid values?
Life experiences.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Life experiences.
Devoid of christian influence?