We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Except Obama did it.

Pete
Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Loyal Opposition

You're avoiding the fact, Whell, that the PPACA changed the rules for all employers, not just the Catholic employers. Now the Catholic church is seeking special treatment that other employers don't get. To me, that creates more of an establishment clause problem than it does a free exercise problem.

Perhaps I am painting with too broad a brush regarding the Catholic Hierarchy. I am not a student of the national political positions of the church. I do know that the leadership in the Kansas City area wants that baby-killer out of office. It has gone so far as suggesting that a vote for for Obama would put one's immortal soul in jeopardy.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
We are talking about birth control Whell...something that is so mainstream in American society since the 1960s that it is a mundane topic for most people. And there are many uses of birth control for other medical issues, such as acne. You are falling for the trap Whell....keep worrying about birth control and the economy ceases to be the number one issue of the election.....a slam dunk for the Donkeys. Hmmm maybe the Dems are secretly bankrolling the lawsuits lol.....
I'm Catholic, sir. Please tell me what "trap" I'm falling for?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
You're avoiding the fact, Whell, that the PPACA changed the rules for all employers, not just the Catholic employers.
You're avoiding the fact that when the gov't decides to involve itself in the private sector, it can get itself tangled up in the rights of private citizens. PPACA is correctly the target of constitutional challenges. This is just one more.

Also, the government has "exempted" many employers and institutions from the ENTIRELY of PPACA compliance. The church wanted an exemption on this one, single thread of PPACA. Now you're suggesting the church is in the wrong for wanting to "dictate' terms of compliance? Really?

Last edited by whell; 05-21-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Loyal Opposition

I see the commercial dealings of large institutions as well within the scope of governmental authority. I have more of a problem when those institutions seek to assert control over the private lives of employees or other citizens.

And Hey, Gee Whiz. I made a concession and you didn't even quote it.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I'm Catholic, sir. Please tell me what "trap" I'm falling for?
The "trap" of the election becoming more about social issues than the economy...which means my guy maybe gets re-elected. If issues such as birth control are coming to the fore it must only mean one thing...the economy is not the end all of the 2012 election, which is a plus for Obama.
You think women are going to support the GOP if there is a war on birth control? I am being sort of sarcastic about the use of the word trap but the Catholic church suing the Obama administration over birth control may gain him support. Not all women are Catholic but a great deal of women rely on birth control. It is more than a Catholic issue.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Once again it was our Fearless Leader that pulled this one. Perhaps he's worried about the economy? He should be.

But why is it so important for the Catholic church to knuckle under? All must bow before our mighty masters - or other citizens?

Btw, this isn't a war on birth control, it's a war on religious freedom. Nobody is telling anybody they can't use birth control. [EDIT: 'cept the Catholic church ]

Pete

Last edited by piece-itpete; 05-21-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Once again it was our Fearless Leader that pulled this one. Perhaps he's worried about the economy? He should be.

But why is it so important for the Catholic church to knuckle under? All must bow before our mighty masters - or other citizens?

Btw, this isn't a war on birth control, it's a war on religious freedom. Nobody is telling anybody they can't use birth control. [EDIT: 'cept the Catholic church ]

Pete
Guys wake up ans smell the roses, the middle ages passed quit some time ago. No one is asking them to "knickle under" just to operate secularly just like everyone else. I don't hear crys of outrage from any of the other churches. Some of which favour polygamy but that is a no-no here so they don't do it. What is so bloody special about the Church of Rome?

Last edited by merrylander; 05-22-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I see the commercial dealings of large institutions as well within the scope of governmental authority. I have more of a problem when those institutions seek to assert control over the private lives of employees or other citizens.

And Hey, Gee Whiz. I made a concession and you didn't even quote it.

Regards,

D-Ray
I didn't quote it 'cuz I didn't want to draw too much attention to it for you.
But I appreciate it.

To the extent defined by law, and to the extent that the extension of such governmental authority is within the bounds of the constitution, I agree.

To suggest that offering employees the option of electing health coverage through their employer is tantamount to "asserting control over the private lives of employees" is really a stretch IMHO.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I didn't quote it 'cuz I didn't want to draw too much attention to it for you.
But I appreciate it.

To the extent defined by law, and to the extent that the extension of such governmental authority is within the bounds of the constitution, I agree.

To suggest that offering employees the option of electing health coverage through their employer is tantamount to "asserting control over the private lives of employees" is really a stretch IMHO.
C'mon, do you think that there are any aspects of the employment relationship in which the employers are not asserting economic control over their employees. "Well you can have the medical coverage under the terms we see fit, which means that we aren't going to pay for whoopie protection, or hormonal therapy for that matter, or you can go spend a grand or so a month on it."

OMG, we want employers to pay for people having sex!! All of those employees are sluts. Every one of them. (I'm not suggesting that that is you position, Whell. I just saw this bust of a bald fat guy and I couldn't help myself.)

Regards,

D-Ray