Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I agree.

However, to further clarify I wasn't speaking of apathy towards the rioting, I was referring to apathy towards the plight of the black community. I believe that the vast majority of Americans are disgusted with the rioting and looting. I imagine there are few who are actually enjoying this. But, I also believe there are few outside the black community who honestly care about the conditions that led to this tragic situation in the first place.

I've been reading comments about it all morning. They range from somewhat ignorant to downright disgusting.

Dave
Arson, rioting and looting your own community ain't exactly a good way to curry favor/empathy with White America. To me, it strengthens my view that policing a seemingly lawless place like Ferguson is a tough and unforgiving business.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:04 PM

Just curious, why is there a "black community"? Maybe I'm just an ignorant life long suburbanite but where I live we have folks of all ethnic backgrounds in our area. My kids have friends who are white, black, asian, indian, hispanic and my wife and I are friends with many of the kid's parents. I don't belong to a "white community" and from what I know, none of them belong to a "community" of their ethnicity.

I'm sick of being told because I'm white that I don't understand the "black community." Is it because I don't live in a large city where there is more racism? Is it because I was raised to respect others, like I've raise my kids and I judge people on their character? This may be way off but if you consider yourself part of a ethnic "community" are you simply being as racist as the people your accusing?
Old 11-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Ready

'Black community' is a collective noun, just a way to refer to lots of people at once.

There is a ton of irony in your objection to the term in a post that does a lot of referring to a lot of people at once. If there is no 'black community,' who is it that's being RACIST by daring to observe that their skin color is often relevant to how people think about them and act towards them?

BTW, see the reference to 'White America' in the post preceding yours. Racist, in your view?

Last edited by donquixote99; 11-25-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:30 PM

There is a black community of high density in ferguson because all the section 8 bud housing is within a couple of concentrated blocks. Their enclave was purposefully built to be isolated, with minimal foot and vehicle traffic with the city proper. Over 80% of the black males under 25 in this complex are unemployed. Over 90% of the residents are black.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
There is a black community of high density in ferguson because all the section 8 bud housing is within a couple of concentrated blocks. Their enclave was purposefully built to be isolated, with minimal foot and vehicle traffic with the city proper. Over 80% of the black males under 25 in this complex are unemployed. Over 90% of the residents are black.
Which is to say it is a ghetto and deliberately so.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Property owners decide if they'll accept section 8.

Pete
Old 11-25-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Property owners decide if they'll accept section 8.

Pete

Yes, that's true. But often times, the Housing Authority, or some other gov agency, purchases the property for the purpose of making them section eight.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
'Black community' is a collective noun, just a way to refer to lots of people at once.

There is a ton of irony in your objection to the term in a post that does a lot of referring to a lot of people at once. If there is no 'black community,' who is it that's being RACIST by daring to observe that their skin color is often relevant to how people think about them and act towards them?

BTW, see the reference to 'White America' in the post preceding yours. Racist, in your view?
Ah yeah OK, makes a lot of fucking sense.

Why don't you try for awhile to look at people's character and not their ethnicity. Seem like your argument hides behind this finger pointing nonsense that if your white you must be racist. Using terms like "white america" maybe applies to where you live but not me. Seems like it also gets used as an excuse quite a bit.

Does matter what color the Ferguson looters are they're wrong for what they are doing and should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
...Does[n't] matter what color the Ferguson looters are they're wrong for what they are doing and should be ashamed of themselves.
That was my first instinct about Darren Brown.

It's not my fault this enormous and entitled thug who attacked a police officer happened to be black.

Last edited by Zeke; 11-25-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
Just curious, why is there a "black community"? Maybe I'm just an ignorant life long suburbanite but where I live we have folks of all ethnic backgrounds in our area. My kids have friends who are white, black, asian, indian, hispanic and my wife and I are friends with many of the kid's parents. I don't belong to a "white community" and from what I know, none of them belong to a "community" of their ethnicity.

I'm sick of being told because I'm white that I don't understand the "black community." Is it because I don't live in a large city where there is more racism? Is it because I was raised to respect others, like I've raise my kids and I judge people on their character? This may be way off but if you consider yourself part of a ethnic "community" are you simply being as racist as the people your accusing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
Perhaps I should refer to Ferguson and similar places as "Areas wherein there is a high concentration of people who are not primarily of Caucasian, Asian or Arab descent, nor are they South Pacific Islanders, Inuit Eskimos, Native Americans, Inca, Mayan or Mongols".

Hmmmm...................

Nope, "black community" shall suffice. It's much less work.

Dave