Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Why?

The wife and I watched some Olympics last night, including the USA Gold Medal champion in gymnastics. When the talking heads started talking about her, I told my wife to "wait for it", and sure enough, I think the third sentence informed all of the world that this young lady was "African" American. Why couldn't she just be a little girl from America? What if she considers herself an American period? Can we really not get past this crap? I think it was tasteless, insulting, and simply racist to proclaim this child "African" American. To me, that means African first, American second. I'd like to know if this is how the little girl feels, and if so, how did the sports caster know? I always check Native American on any form that asks about race. I was born in America, so I figure that makes me a Native to this country. I'm just tired of everyone's race being their "identity", whether they like it or not. I have lots of black friends, but we never talk about race, it just isn't important. I blame a lot of this on the current administration too. It seems to me that instead of the uniter we were promised, Obama has been a great divider, and has set racial equality progress back 50 years. I hope that the little girl's feelings were not hurt during what had to be the most special moment of her life.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 PM

You're so sensitive.

Seriously though, it was a pretty stupid thing to say on the announcer's part.
But to the rest of your rant, racism doesn't go away when white people want to "get past it".

And I'm curious to know what you're referring to when you say that President Obama has divided the country and set the issue of race back in time. I can't even guess what you have in mind. I'm interested to hear.

Becasue I thought it was the political opposition who met the night of his inauguration and pledged to make their number one priority defeating Obama in 2012. That's the priority over every other thing; jobs, defense, the economy... --that, of course, and all the racists his election energized. Membership in race-based hate groups skyrocketed in the months following his election.

But what did he do? That's what I haven't heard.

Last edited by Brett A; 08-03-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Whether you like it or not, she's the first African-American to win a medal in gymnastics, a gold one at that. It's significant, whether or not you have the capacity to understand why.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Whether you like it or not, she's the first African-American to win a medal in gymnastics, a gold one at that. It's significant, whether or not you have the capacity to understand why.
So, if you won a gold medal, they would describe you as "the first guy with a gay ass avatar" to win a gold medal. Fuck labels!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 PM

I would see the point if this was truly a color blind society. But alas we haven't reached there yet. A great milestone for sure!

Barney
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A View Post
You're so sensitive.

Seriously though, it was a pretty stupid thing to say on the announcer's part.

Making inane statements is a requirement for a sports announcer. The coverage is so bad that I've given up trying to watch the Olympics. I was speaking with some European friends that live here and they pointed out how biased the U.S. coverage is compared to the telecasts they remember in Europe.

BTW, contratulations to Gabby. She is also the first American gymnast ever to win both the team and individual all-around gold at the same Olympics

Last edited by bhunter; 08-03-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:46 AM

Dogs, how can America get past race when folks keep it alive?

Listen to this as just as an example of the many popular songs. Count how many times the N word is used.. and rap is very popular among our youth today. Folks can't forget the differences between people if they are reminded though music every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAkLgdbaytg
Old 08-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I always check Native American on any form that asks about race. I was born in America, so I figure that makes me a Native to this country.
1. Fraud.
2. Racist.

Manifest Destiny is STILL bullshit.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:59 AM

I suppose we'll get 'past this crap' in this country when all of us can look at an African American (for example) and see a person who happens to be black instead of seeing a black person. Anyone who believes that racism does not exist as a part of American society lives in a different America than I do.

What percentage of the American public believe Obama was not born in this country? 25% And what percentage of the American public believe W, McCain or Romney were not born in this country? 0% Kindly explain to me in terms I can understand why the color of Obama's skin has nothing to do with that.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Abby Normal

Double dog

The announce was compelled to mention that Gabby was both African and American as both were significant to the story. It's that simple.

I think you need to ask yourself why such a simple and accurate comment bothered you.