Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:47 AM

That entire Pennsylvania faux voter fraud issue is, to say the very least, troubling. And any contention that it is anything but a Republican tactic to suppress Democratic turnout is pluperfect bullshit.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 AM

I've always thought it was a solution without a problem. Unless, of course, you see poor people, elderly, and minorities actually voting a problem.

They are nothing but voter suppression laws and the fact they have been so successful is scary.

I think it's a good idea to require IDs for voting, but in five years, not five months. You've got to give time for the systems and people to adapt and comply. This whole thing is just more Tea-publicans bulling their way into power by stepping on the heads of those weaker than them.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Resident octogenarian

I don't know if it is unique to Maryland but here they issue you a voter registration card that is your ID and it also tells you at which poll to vote.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I don't know if it is unique to Maryland but here they issue you a voter registration card that is your ID and it also tells you at which poll to vote.
Similar here. You get a voter registration card to take to the polling station but don't HAVE to use it; it just speeds things up a bit.

It's amazing what we take on trust. Voting slips go through a slot into a locked box which along with 100+ others is taken to a counting station. No possible room along the way for errors, for accidents to happen.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A View Post
I've always thought it was a solution without a problem. Unless, of course, you see poor people, elderly, and minorities actually voting a problem.

They are nothing but voter suppression laws and the fact they have been so successful is scary.

I think it's a good idea to require IDs for voting, but in five years, not five months. You've got to give time for the systems and people to adapt and comply. This whole thing is just more Tea-publicans bulling their way into power by stepping on the heads of those weaker than them.
Isn't that the Ayn Rand way?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Here too.

John
Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Similar here. You get a voter registration card to take to the polling station but don't HAVE to use it; it just speeds things up a bit.

It's amazing what we take on trust. Voting slips go through a slot into a locked box which along with 100+ others is taken to a counting station. No possible room along the way for errors, for accidents to happen.
Here, in my state anyways, you are issued a voter registration card as well. But, as I understand it, they are demanding a photo ID.

Our voting machines are computerized. Lots of opportunity for malfeasance.

Dave
Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 AM

If you really think about it what better way to commit voter fraud than to have elderly people in wheel chairs and those motorized carts that are always trying to run you over in Walmart vote multiple times....no one would ever accuse grandma of voter fraud, which would be perfect vehicle for the Dems to use in order to turn the election....

Maybe we should monitor senior homes and skilled nursing facilities on election day, just in case......
Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Here, in my state anyways, you are issued a voter registration card as well. But, as I understand it, they are demanding a photo ID.

Our voting machines are computerized. Lots of opportunity for malfeasance.

Dave
And no paper trail so whatever the machine says is what is counted, even if you get 30,000 votes in a precinct of only 25,000 registered voters.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
If you really think about it what better way to commit voter fraud than to have elderly people in wheel chairs and those motorized carts that are always trying to run you over in Walmart vote multiple times....no one would ever accuse grandma of voter fraud, which would be perfect vehicle for the Dems to use in order to turn the election....

Maybe we should monitor senior homes and skilled nursing facilities on election day, just in case......
Oh, it was a joke!

John