Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Great Britain = England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
All fixed.

John
Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A View Post
Not to mention the process of self-segregating. What we white people generally fail to notice is that people-of-color live in a white world. And in this country, they always have. I'm sure there are some white folks reading this that feel uncomfortable when they realize they are the only caucasian on a full subway car, or a busy street or crowded market. This is the closest personal experience I can think of that opens some empathy for the experience of living as a minority. But it goes w/o saying that I don't have 400 years of being enslaved to further inform the experience.

One way I can relate this to sports is in cycling. That's a very white sport IMO (and one that I do myself). I meet very few African American road riders, and I've never ridden a mountain bike with a person of color. I wonder if showing up at a group ride as a person of color might elicit the kind of "visitor in a white world" experience I'm talking about.

(---and no, simply having a discussion about race, and asking these questions does not qualify a person as a racist. In order to truly get past it, it's time to talk more about race, not less IMO)
Exactly why as "white folk" we should make it our mission to go to such places.

I have a great friend that's a luthier and a student of the old finger style blues. He is a black man and a very talented one at that. He was playing a blues gig one night at what he referred to as "The last real juke joint left in St. Louis", Beulah's Red Velvet Lounge and basically challenged me to come to the show as it was "were white men fear to tread" in north St. Louis near the corner of Martin Luther King & North Kings Highway.

Loving the music and having to see this magical place all the old blue greats would talk about while sitting in Mike's shop I said "I'll be there tonight". I walked in the door at about 9pm and all heads turned to me with a look of disbelief. My friend was not there yet nor his band but one man from his shop recognized me and hailed me over to his table. I admit that I was extremely uncomfortable when everything stopped and all eyes were on me. Exactly what you are talking about hit me then. Anyway, I did what anyone would do and ordered beers for the table and tipped the help very well. What an incredible night of blues music and making new friends.

I was scared out of my mind as I walked by myself back to my bright RED truck. I was hoping I was not in the wrong neighborhood but had no trouble at all. Very eye opening on many levels.

If you are in StL and love real delta blues then head on down to Beulah's for a magical night of music.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Admin

Good on you Rex. That has always been my experience when I venture into Black or Latino areas. Being polite, courteous and respectful goes a long way. You'll find you are the novelty cat in the crowd. I do recommend a wingman just to mention that you are alright cause you never know if somebody had a family member gunned down by the police recently and is a bit unhinged at the moment.
Flip that coin and the scenario is quite different IME & Opinion.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
One of the fortunate things about being able to pass for nearly anything is being able to go anywhere but a Klan rally without fear.

At times, I am blessed.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 AM

Great Britain = England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Not so sire. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland treats Northern Ireland as part of the UK, but not of Great Britain.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Great Britain = England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales (and amended by yours truly).

Not so sire. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland treats Northern Ireland as part of the UK, but not of Great Britain.
Odds bodkins, sirrah! Verily and forsooth! Isn't that what I said?

Of course, we're both wrong because we're forgetting the Orkneys, the Scilly Isles, the Isle of Wight and a couple of others (but not including the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.)

John
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
(...)
I admit that I was extremely uncomfortable when everything stopped and all eyes were on me. Exactly what you are talking about hit me then. Anyway, I did what anyone would do and ordered beers for the table and tipped the help very well. What an incredible night of blues music and making new friends. (...)
Great story, thanks for taking the time. Self-desegregation can take us out of our comfort zone. But hopefully, like in your case, only temporarily.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 AM

Harumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Odds bodkins, sirrah! Verily and forsooth! Isn't that what I said?

Of course, we're both wrong because we're forgetting the Orkneys, the Scilly Isles, the Isle of Wight and a couple of others (but not including the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.)

John
No-one likes a pedant
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

My experience too is that minorities liked to be, well, liked? Accepted? Treated as equals and not to be feared?

And my black friends loved when I brought my young nephew to play with their kids.

"Now a child, can understand, that this is law, of all the land, all the land"

"All the doors that closed one time, will smile and take us in.'

Pete