Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

No only Rummie and Wolfowitz believed he was a problem, Wolfie had been advocating taking him out for years.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Iraq already had a long history of chemical weapons and at least an interest in obtaining biologicals and nuclear precursors when GW Bush was still snorting and drinking. I do not recall anyone disagreeing with the notion that Saddam had chemical weapons and likely wanted more WMDs.
There were quite a few. Hans Blix for one and Scott Ritter for another: two people in a position to be in possession of the facts.

Quote:
The intelligence available was probably not accurate, however, there was already continued significant transgressions from Iraq following the First Gulf War.
I don't think there's any reasonable basis for any conclusion other than that the Bushies lied us into that war.

Quote:
BTW, where'd you go Boreas?
I got returned for re-grooving.

John
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I suspect the left hates Iraq because they hate Bush, and don't want him to get just credit for reshaping the entire Middle East.

Pete
What would the world be like right now if we had never invaded Iraq but, instead, finished the job on al Qaeda?

John
Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

You can't exterminate cockroaches, only surpress them.

But if we didn't we'd at least still have our planes fired on daily, the UN would be increasingly corrupted, he'd still be giving rewards to the families of suicide bombers, and we would be in no position to take out Iran in a couple of days.

Pete
Old 08-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

I got returned for re-grooving.

John
LMAO!!!

Pete
Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
..... but I will say this about Iraq: it was a bad idea for a number of reasons not the least of which is the totally predictable sectarian violence that is rife throughout the country now.
"What do you mean 'Khurd, Sunni and Shi'ite'? I thought they ere all Muslims!"

Quote:
I don't hate Bush.
I try not to because he's seriously damaged goods. I try to think of the little kid who was never told where his sister went and had to work through her death on his own. I try to think of the disturbed little boy who tried to release his rage by blowing up frogs with M80s. I try to think about the drunk and cocaine freak's desperate attempts at self-medication. Then I think of the "frat boy" who used to brand pledges with a hot coat hanger and the man who went AWOL and never suffered any consequences because of family influence.

I'm left wondering how the hell a mess like that ever got to be president and then I remember Bush v. Gore.

I try not to hate him but I can't manage it. I hate him and his entire family.

Quote:
I simply think he made a number of wrong headed decisions a couple of which led to some rather problematic ramifications beyond the decision itself, the doubling of the national debt for example.
When you look up "understatement" in the dictionary,this is what you see.

John
Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Christ, I sometimes miss the Cold War when things were somewhat simpler.BTW, where'd you go Boreas?
Yeah and the Soviets were pretty good at not letting their nuclear weapons get outside of their control....can not say the same about what a nuclear Iran or Taliban run Pakistan would do with theirs.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Yeah and the Soviets were pretty good at not letting their nuclear weapons get outside of their control....can not say the same about what a nuclear Iran or Taliban run Pakistan would do with theirs.
Can't quarrel with either the clarity of the Cold War or the above statement. Pakistan concerns me more simply because they already have nukes and that government is hardly a monument to stability.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
You do realise everybody believed Saddam was a giant problem, left or right, that were in the know? That is why there was nary a peep. It's something that deserves serious consideration.

Pete
And you realize that the Clinton Administration advised the incoming Bush people that al Qaeda was going to be their biggest problem, right? That Richard Clarke, Bush's Counter-terrorism Coordinator, issued similar warnings which were ignored?

John
Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Or how 'bout the one where Bush Sr flew in the back seat of an SR-71 to negotiate with Iran.

Or accusing Sarah Palin of inciting murder.

Or about how Bush actually was responsible for blowing up the WTC.

Or about how Romney hasn't paid taxes in 11 years.

Or about how John McCain had an affair with a lobbyist

See? You guys love a good conspiracy.
I haven't heard of any of those, except the assertion that Romney hasn't paid taxes in 10 years, not 11. But that's not a conspiracy; a conspiracy involves a group of people acting covertly. An individuals' action can never be a conspiracy.

Actually, that kills about everything on your list. As far as conspiracies go.