Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Thanks guys...I think I will just go buy a new one and take some deoxit to this one....
it is not a real thick one...pretty slim I purhased it in 2009. Amazing how things do not last. It was like $600 plus brand new but I guess in 2009 dollars that is not alot...

shame how things do not last like they used to
I have a Sony 1080I projection TV with a huge sound system in it. We really wanted it out of the house because it is so big (50" screen, huge case). Two weeks ago we loaded it into the back of my truck, drove 150 miles , and unloaded it at my mother in laws house. After all that rough treatment I plugged it in and it did not even need a lens realignment. It is ten years old and gets a fantastic HD picture. I kinda miss the old war horse already. If it dies tomorrow I will consider it money well spent.

On thing to remember when buying a flat screen TV/monitor is that our eyes are not fast enough to tell the difference between an 850P and a 1080P. Save some money and get a high quality 850P. I am going TV shopping this weekend to replace the Sony and will see if I can tell any difference between the two.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
I have a Sony 1080I projection TV with a huge sound system in it. We really wanted it out of the house because it is so big (50" screen, huge case). Two weeks ago we loaded it into the back of my truck, drove 150 miles , and unloaded it at my mother in laws house. After all that rough treatment I plugged it in and it did not even need a lens realignment. It is ten years old and gets a fantastic HD picture. I kinda miss the old war horse already. If it dies tomorrow I will consider it money well spent.

On thing to remember when buying a flat screen TV/monitor is that our eyes are not fast enough to tell the difference between an 850P and a 1080P. Save some money and get a high quality 850P. I am going TV shopping this weekend to replace the Sony and will see if I can tell any difference between the two.
You know my Toshiba DLP is going on 7 years .....except for the lamp replacements it does has worked well and provides an excellent picture.
I was expecting the Toshiba LCD I have to last a bit longer...hopefully a inverter board replacement can fix it.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM

Update

got the tv apart not as difficult since the panel just required base removal and had screw connections instead of being snapped together. The power supply lytics do not look blown at all...I just bought an inverter off of the bay for 12 bucks lol..did not want to gamble too big...maybe I can bring this Toshiba back to life.

the general consensus is that most failures on LCDs are either the inverter or the smaller capacitors on the power supply board simply because the big brand name companies are buying really god awful caps. However the the main filter caps (the big ones ) never seem to be the issue. I think the vdc ratings on the smaller caps in general on these lcd power supply boards are too low mine are all 1000uf 25vdc ....

the main filter caps are 550 uf 220vdc

I think I will maybe recap the 1000mf caps this weekend
Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Area Man

This might explain why mine often takes multiple tries to start. I'll get sound, but no picture until I restart it. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries.

Dave
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
This might explain why mine often takes multiple tries to start. I'll get sound, but no picture until I restart it. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries.

Dave
Well if you are brave you may want to take yours apart unless it is really new and/or expensive. I may just wait until I get this inverter board connected then will try to recap if it does not work. I have nothing to lose it is either this or the landfill.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Area Man

It's about 3 years old. $1,200. Eh, I don't think I'll screw with it unless it dies altogether.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM

Hurray!!!!
It was the inverter board as Bhunter said.
I replaced one with a $12 dollar ebay and it is working

the old one looked like it overheated...which may suggest a recap in order but the caps look ok

thanks bhunter and everyone else...

notise the burn marks on the back of the original inverter on the right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0809.jpg (56.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0811.jpg (46.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0810.jpg (77.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Admin

That is so cool that you fixed it. Congrats.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 PM

Thanks!
It has a better picture than the new 39inch led sharp I bought....the sharp is on reserve in my closet perched on an orphan Optimus STS-1500....

either a better picture or I cannot calibrate it right....
I think these things are sort of like laptops...small circuitry trapped in tight plastic boxes with less than adequate cooling
Old 02-02-2019, 06:46 PM

The replacement board that I put in 2013 died last December...I got 5 plus years of life on the Toshiba tv with that cheap board I bought on Ebay. The inverter on this model has gotten more expensive with time. I bought one from ShopJimmy.com but I am not getting a lit screen so sadly my LCD has to go. But TVs are so cheap these days.

My Toshiba DLP from 2006 is still going strong on I think its third light bulb. I just bought a brand new back up DLP bulb just in case on Ebay for just about $25.
They used to go for about $80-$100. My DLP just does Walking Dead/AMC duty on Sunday nights but I never thought it would outlast the LCD.