Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:42 PM
Admin

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...nion-analysis/

'Father of fentanyl victim says Marjorie Taylor Greene ‘crossed the line’ heckling daughter’s story at SOTU: ‘Drugs are not a partisan issue’'

"The father of a 20-year-old woman who died of a fentanyl overdose has said that Marjorie Taylor Greene “crossed the line” when she heckled President Joe Biden’s telling of his daughter’s story at the State of the Union.

Doug Griffin told The Independent that he found it “really nasty” when the controversial GOP congresswoman interrupted the president’s address during what should have been a “moment of reverence”.

“I was startled as that was the only time during the entire speech that he was heckled in that way,” he said.

“It was really nasty in what was a time of reverence. I think she crossed the line.”

Mr Griffin, a Republican, said the outburst highlighted the “constant battle” to get Republicans and Democrats to work together to tackle the opioid crisis – as he urged lawmakers to stop treating it as a partisan issue.

“It’s a constant battle between far left and far right – a struggle to be able to do anything,” he said.

“And I think that was the perfect example of that when she broke in there. It’s not the time or the place to do that.

“And I’m a Republican – but the issue of drugs is not a partisan issue.”

Mr Griffin’s daughter Courtney – a talented musician who had dreams of moving to Hawaii – was just 20 when she died of a fentanyl overdose in September 2014.

Since her death, Mr Griffin has fought to raise awareness about the stigma of addiction and called for better access to substance use disorder treatment services.

On Tuesday night, Mr Griffin and his wife Pam attended the State of the Union as a guest of first lady Jill Biden, where Mr Biden shared Courtney’s story with members of the House and the Senate – as well as the millions of TV viewers across America.

“Joining us tonight is a father named Doug from Newton, New Hampshire. He wrote Jill my wife a letter and me also about his courageoeus daughter Courtney. Contagious laugh. Her sister’s best friend,” the president said.

“He shared a story all too familiar to millions of Americans and many of you in the audience. Courtney discovered pills in high school. It spiraled into addiction and eventually her death from a fentanyl overdose. She was just 20 years old.

“Describing the last eight years without her, Doug said, ‘There is no worse pain.’

“Yet their family has turned pain into purpose, working to end stigma and change laws. He told us he wants to ‘start a journey towards America’s recovery.’

“Doug, we’re with you. Fentanyl is killing more than 70,000 Americans a year.”

At that moment, Ms Greene – who made repeated outbursts during the speech – and several others began heckling the president.

The Georgia congresswoman could be heard yelling out: “It’s coming from China!”

Another lawmaker chimed in: “It’s your fault!”

Mr Griffin didn’t react to the disruption at the time, with the camera panning round to show him sitting solemnly in the gallery.

But House Speaker Kevin McCarthy was seen shushing members of his own party.

Mr Griffin told The Independent that the interruption “took me away”.

“At that moment he was trying to tell her story and get a response to the story and [Ms Greene] broke the momentum of that moment,” he said."

cont. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...65086c2ad57b2d

Wow. Just wow....
Old 02-08-2023, 10:51 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
You mean like DeSanctimonious? According to the Perv of Mar a Lardo Ronny used to horn in on Matt Gaetz favorite action, high school girls when he was a teacher.
This allegation is not one DeSantis can afford to let lie. We are likely on thr brink of a nuclear exchange between Trump and DeSantis. Should be something to watch.