Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Living in the LA basin for over four decades, I'll take the trade off of lowering volatile organic compounds, lead in gasoline and so on over anyone else's imagined right to pollute the air I breath.
And the use of contact cement contributes how much to the LA Basin's pollution problem? The pollution problem is a direct function of population growth. IIRC, MTBE didn't work out all that well for the environmentalists that used to push for it use as an oxygenate for fuels. I'd rather have a robust business environment here than the restrictions. It's rather ironic that silly valley is full of rabid environmentalist technical employees that are in an industry that is predicted on the use of nasty chemicals. Slowly, even biotech is finding it difficult to operate in this state. I'll predict that even biotech will be displaced shortly to more friendly states or countries. Eventually, we'll have the wealthy and nominally liberal, coastal elite and their servants with no agricultural industry, computer industry, or aerospace industry. All of this the result of the environmentalists. Do I want clean air? Of course, I have severe allergies that even restrict my movement; however, I don't think restricting products that have minimal impact is the best path.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Admin

You and I both know it's the aggregate pollution load that is the problem. If we give a waver to something like contact cement? How soon do you think the paint manufacturers whould be howling for their waver? The LA basin has cleaned up the air tremendously since I was a kid, thanks to the ARB and the AQMD. They've done a pretty good job so far, IMO. I disagree strenuously that business viability and their profits trump my lifespan due to pollution.

Did you miss Merrylanders recommendation? 3M 77 & 99 are good alternatives.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:32 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
You and I both know it's the aggregate pollution load that is the problem. If we give a waver to something like contact cement? How soon do you think the paint manufacturers whould be howling for their waver? The LA basin has cleaned up the air tremendously since I was a kid, thanks to the ARB and the AQMD. They've done a pretty good job so far, IMO. I disagree strenuously that business viability and their profits trump my lifespan due to pollution.

Did you miss Merrylanders recommendation? 3M 77 & 99 are good alternatives.

Don't they come in rattle cans with the associated problems?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
The other day I went to purchase Weldwood Contact Cement; however, due to the all knowing jackasses at the California Air Resources Board it is no longer available in California. It would be better for the environment if we tossed our illegal aliens back across the border since most of our environmental problems are a function of rampant population growth. Oh, here's the regulation:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/consprod/regs/...htm#automotive

Slightly complicated ain't it. Just because some fanatical environmentalists think VOCs released through consumer products have a terrible environmental impact—environmentalists tend to gravitate towards employment in the regulatory agencies—they ought be outlawed. There is little wonder why businesses leave California for more friendly states. Lighter fluid has become so diluted that it's difficult to start a barbecue.

Oh, I can still buy it , but only 1 ounce at a time. Thus, instead of 12.00/qt. it will be 160.00/qt.
Paint thinner $10.00 a gal, Naptha $10.00 a gal. Naptha like Ronsons lighter fluid.

In California we need to shop eBay, hurting brick and mortor but we need what we need.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Yep, and the laws don't make sence.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Beats me JJ. Haven't the propellant formulations changed considerably? I know that over the years 3M 77 has changed in terms of usability. You have to shake the can a heckuva lot more otherwise you end up with a can full of glue with no propellant. The same with rattle cans of spraypaint.

Maybe 3M has better lobbyists.

Last edited by bobabode; 06-09-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Yep, and the laws don't make sence.
Which laws?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Banned

We can't get good light bulbs they are so low powered I use 4 lights in a room when I used to use one.

Thats the logic here...
Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Which laws?
Fluoro Carbons
Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
We can't get good light bulbs they are so low powered I use 4 lights in a room when I used to use one.

Thats the logic here...

I knew that you couldn't answer a simple question.

What in the world do lightbulbs have to do with VOCs? Personally at this point it sounds like you're throwing out a red herring.