Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:21 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
No sympathy for the worker who tries so hard to satisfy a big company like Amazon and still loses the job?
Cats answered as well, or better, than I could.

Jeff, and others like him, suffer from the "entitlement" problem.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
I sure have sympathy - it was a rotten story.

But it was written as a tear-jerker and designed to light the fires of righteous indignation against the wrong target, Amazon.

Why was this guy not better prepared to take on the responsibility of helping to provide for theirchildren? Did his parents or the school system not teach him or show him somewhere along the way what his prospects were and how to improve them?

He seemed like a hard working guy who wanted to do better - why didn't he?

Did he, himself, not consider how he was going to make a living? Did he have a plan? He went to DeVry - that's a plan - what happened? We don't know.

There will always be low paying Amazon type jobs as long as we, the consumer, demand lower prices and faster delivery. And those low paying jobs are fine for someone looking to make a little extra $ on the side, college kids, etc. Not support a family.

We can rail against Amazon, Walmart, etc. all day, but we only have absolute control over one thing - our own choices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocI_R8lMpM
Old 10-22-2015, 06:28 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Cats answered as well, or better, than I could.

Jeff, and others like him, suffer from the "entitlement" problem.
What entitlement?

Enlighten me where Jeff indicated that he was entitled to anything.

Jeff's behavior indicated that he was man full of "hope"...that is all.

I guess "entitlement" is the new buzz word.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
What entitlement?

Enlighten me where Jeff indicated that he was entitled to anything.

Jeff's behavior indicated that he was man full of "hope"...that is all.

I guess "entitlement" is the new buzz word.
It's a bash the goddamn workers meme. Bash them even when they never do anything wrong, never say a single word, just work till they drop dead. God damn the workers who think they are even entitled to breathe.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Ready

There's not really a lot here. Guy had something wrong, he was working hard, and it killed him. He just drew a lousy hand.

Did Amazon do wrong? Is it wrong to put a labor contractor in there to treat the workers like horses so you don't have to? I don't know.

Is the guy a stupid who should have done more smart things? I don't know.

Like i say, not a lot here. Just business. No one to hang. But I know whose interest it is now to trash the guy, and I sure don't like that. The meaning people choose to put on things speaks real loud sometimes.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
There's not really a lot here. Guy had something wrong, he was working hard, and it killed him. He just drew a lousy hand.

Did Amazon do wrong? Is it wrong to put a labor contractor in there to treat the workers like horses so you don't have to? I don't know.

Is the guy a stupid who should have done more smart things? I don't know.

Like i say, not a lot here. Just business. No one to hang. But I know whose interest it is now to trash the guy, and I sure don't like that. The meaning people choose to put on things speaks real loud sometimes.
Amazon is not "wrong" if they adhere to the law - but they are open to public criticism via the same internet that drives their business model - and that is a good thing and how it is supposed to work.

The guy wasn't stupid - I don't know the whole story because the article didn't tell us - it appears he didn't plan well and made some poor decisions, but we don't know.

* And someone who is so inclined might also have a look at who in the Richmond city gov. and the Virginia Governor's office is responsible for convincing new, quality employers to set up shop in the State.

Last edited by catswiththum; 10-22-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:27 PM

Some of you guys are really ignorant about medical emergencies. Amazon and/or the contractor intentionally told their workers NOT to call 911. WTF? A person with a stopped heart needs to have a paramedic team arrive within 5 minutes to stop irreversible brain damage. Amazon did not call 911 until after 9 minutes had passed. Now I know they had an in-house medical response team but there is no way in hell they are as good as the guys out in town going on calls in ambulances. If they were good enough they would be able to transport the worker to the hospital themselves in an Amazon ambulance, which they obviously do not have.

Amazon telling employees not to call 911 during their orientation but their own "company town" medical squad really strikes me as immoral.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:21 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Some of you guys are really ignorant about medical emergencies. Amazon and/or the contractor intentionally told their workers NOT to call 911. WTF? A person with a stopped heart needs to have a paramedic team arrive within 5 minutes to stop irreversible brain damage. Amazon did not call 911 until after 9 minutes had passed. Now I know they had an in-house medical response team but there is no way in hell they are as good as the guys out in town going on calls in ambulances. If they were good enough they would be able to transport the worker to the hospital themselves in an Amazon ambulance, which they obviously do not have.

Amazon telling employees not to call 911 during their orientation but their own "company town" medical squad really strikes me as immoral.
I expect the guy would have died even if 911 had been called first thing, but good point.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:15 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post

At the minimum, bad intent.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I expect the guy would have died even if 911 had been called first thing, but good point.
You are correct, but the gold standard of all medical responses to heart attacks, drowning, strokes, etc is to call 911 first.
You never know...but 911 should have been called the moment he was found.