Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Well, there is his problem, right there!
Blame the victim much?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Well, there is his problem, right there!
The quote was not by Jeff but from one Lisa Vacula who worked at Amazon for 3 years and still lost her job.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Blame the victim much?
It's hard for me to view the gentleman in the article as a victim.

He has encountered some tough life situations - haven't we all.

The article does not mention if he graduated when he traveled to Ohio to attend DeVry - just that he returned home with student debt. I am no fan of these "Bob's Colleges" that prey on those unable to enter a traditional 4 year institution - DeVry is one of the more reputable - if he graduated he should have had the minimum skills and job placement assistance to get an entry level IT job.

Knowing the education system a bit, I also blame the curriculum in many high schools today and their focus. The days of popping out of high school and landing a reasonably paid manufacturing job or apprenticeship are all but gone.

Society and technology are progressing at amazing speed - more work needs to be done in the junior and senior years to focus the kids on today's job market and what they need to know to get there so they will not end up married with kids having to work for nothing at Amazon.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
It's hard for me to view the gentleman in the article as a victim.

He has encountered some tough life situations - haven't we all.

The article does not mention if he graduated when he traveled to Ohio to attend DeVry - just that he returned home with student debt. I am no fan of these "Bob's Colleges" that prey on those unable to enter a traditional 4 year institution - DeVry is one of the more reputable - if he graduated he should have had the minimum skills and job placement assistance to get an entry level IT job.

Knowing the education system a bit, I also blame the curriculum in many high schools today and their focus. The days of popping out of high school and landing a reasonably paid manufacturing job or apprenticeship are all but gone.

Society and technology are progressing at amazing speed - more work needs to be done in the junior and senior years to focus the kids on today's job market and what they need to know to get there so they will not end up married with kids having to work for nothing at Amazon.
Status quo. Not applicable today. I guess the part where some temps found out that they no longer had a job was when their ID cards would not open the door got lost on you.
Train kids to get fired without the courtesy of a pink slip?
Old 10-22-2015, 02:58 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Blame the victim much?
Sometimes, yeah. I don't see them as victims though. I see they should have prepared themselves to adapt and move on.

Last edited by JJIII; 10-22-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:00 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The quote was not by Jeff but from one Lisa Vacula who worked at Amazon for 3 years and still lost her job.
Nearly everyone either loses or quits a job in their working career.

Get over it.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Nearly everyone either loses or quits a job in their working career.

Get over it.
No sympathy for the worker who tries so hard to satisfy a big company like Amazon and still loses the job?
Old 10-22-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
No sympathy for the worker who tries so hard to satisfy a big company like Amazon and still loses the job?
I sure have sympathy - it was a rotten story.

But it was written as a tear-jerker and designed to light the fires of righteous indignation against the wrong target, Amazon.

Why was this guy not better prepared to take on the responsibility of helping to provide for theirchildren? Did his parents or the school system not teach him or show him somewhere along the way what his prospects were and how to improve them?

He seemed like a hard working guy who wanted to do better - why didn't he?

Did he, himself, not consider how he was going to make a living? Did he have a plan? He went to DeVry - that's a plan - what happened? We don't know.

There will always be low paying Amazon type jobs as long as we, the consumer, demand lower prices and faster delivery. And those low paying jobs are fine for someone looking to make a little extra $ on the side, college kids, etc. Not support a family.

We can rail against Amazon, Walmart, etc. all day, but we only have absolute control over one thing - our own choices.

Last edited by catswiththum; 10-22-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
I sure have sympathy - it was a rotten story.

But it was written as a tear-jerker and designed to light the fires of righteous indignation against the wrong target, Amazon.

Why was this guy not better prepared to take on the responsibility of helping to provide for theirchildren? Did his parents or the school system not teach him or show him somewhere along the way what his prospects were and how to improve them?

He seemed like a hard working guy who wanted to do better - why didn't he?

Did he, himself, not consider how he was going to make a living? Did he have a plan? He went to DeVry - that's a plan - what happened? We don't know.

There will always be low paying Amazon type jobs as long as we, the consumer, demand lower prices and faster delivery. And those low paying jobs are fine for someone looking to make a little extra $ on the side, college kids, etc. Not support a family.

We can rail against Amazon, Walmart, etc. all day, but we only have absolute control over one thing - our own choices.
I am not just referring to Jeff. There is this culture that we spit on the worker. Even in the High Tech sector American workers are asked to train foreigners (especially Indians) who will replace them.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I am not just referring to Jeff. There is this culture that we spit on the worker. Even in the High Tech sector American workers are asked to train foreigners (especially Indians) who will replace them.
And there will always be companies like that - and always be very good ones. Take a look at United Mortgage, for example.

The point being there is now more information than ever before available with the click of a mouse. Anyone can research corporate culture, complaints, profits, etc. and decide if they want to work there.

And as nothing is 100% certain, I ALWAYS tell kids who ask - save your money; you don't know what's coming around the corner.