Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Persona non grata

Your Government Owes You a Job

This is right in line with what I have been saying all along. We need more government, not less.

http://www.thenation.com/article/179...-owes-you-job#

The federal government can easily afford a job guarantee program, becoming our employer of last resort.
Raúl Carrillo
April 23, 2014

Quote:
Involuntary unemployment is barbaric. In the wealthiest country in history, almost 30 million people wish they had full-time work. But, as always, there aren’t enough jobs. And because economic security requires decent work, it’s unsurprising that 50 million people are poverty-stricken and 16 million children are hungry.

This is a disgrace and an economic error: the US government can easily afford a Job guarantee (JG) program, becoming our employer of last resort.

A right to a job may sound outlandish, but it’s common sense. You need dollars to eat, and unless you steal the dollars, you generally have to earn them. If the government wants to protect property with cops, courts, and prisons, issue a single, common currency, and tax and fine us in it, it should at least guarantee we can work for our own dollars. Politicians ramble about equality of opportunity and the dignity of work, but to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, we need boots. And lest our boots stomp each other’s necks in senseless competition for too few jobs, we need a job guarantee.
continued
Old 05-11-2014, 09:09 AM
reflexionar

A job guarantee at what type of wages???
Old 05-11-2014, 09:17 AM

If the statistics showed the majority of government workers voted for the GOP you bet they support the hiring of more. Same with the attack on unions. It all and two prong attack on government jobs, one to eliminate a voting block and outsource, privatizes those jobs so a profit is made from the tax dollar.

Barney
Old 05-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
A job guarantee at what type of wages???
I'd go with the GS pay scale and benefits.

Where on the scale a person would fall would depend on the type of job they fill.

The base for GS1 is $17,803 per year.

That's about $8.50 an hour.

And then of course there would be the benefits package that federal employees get too.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...ry-calculator/

Last edited by Tom Joad; 05-11-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Lets Nationalize the whole country, everyone can just work for the country.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Ready

The way to go is a combination of guaranteed minimum income and (for more income) guaranteed work.

The current system is non-owners 'deserve' only what they can successfully compete for, in a marketplace governed by forces beyond their control, and by the rapacity, prejudices, and whims of the owning class. Owners, on the other had, 'deserve' UNLIMITED EVERYTHING--save what they are forced to pay to labor, despite their best efforts.

And the right wind* will tell you any change to the above is immoral. Why?

* right wing, but I like the typo
Old 05-11-2014, 11:16 AM

There is a false logic of zero sum game. If more government workers how can we pay for it.....

there must be a loser in the process

however the benefits of more consumption in our economy would make things better.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:31 AM
reflexionar

The thought just came to mind, so I have put no effort into studying this. If work stimulus such as building roads, bridges, and other infrastructure is good for the economy because it gives the people more money to spend, then why wouldn't guaranteed work also be good for the economy? I am not sure that "government jobs" are necessarily the way to go, but it would seem that a way could be worked out to come up with incentives for the private sector to create the jobs. Remember, this is just a thrown out topic for discussion. I have no idea what the possibilities are.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Jigsawed

That would be the biggest fraud infested scheme ever.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
That would be the biggest fraud infested scheme ever.
Are you serious?

After the way the Wall Street Banksters fucked this economy over I don't see how anyone could say that with a straight face.