Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Area Man

MonaVie?

Over in Facebook, I accepted a guy from my highschool days into my friends list. It only took about two posts before he tried to sell me this expensive, ($40 a bottle!), fruit-juice concoction bullshit, and then began harangueing me to join his company. I told him, "If you want $40 bucks for it, it had better come from Scotland, be full of oxidants, and knock me on my ass before I reach the bottom.". Then I deleted him from my friends list. More recently my cousins oldest son started the same shit. I availed him of the previous incident, and told him,"Stop it with the sales pitch, or I'll dump your ass too, Frank."

Now, having been a bicyclist in my past, and ridden many a long, grueling race I am well familiar with the whole energy drink/powerbar thing and I know that for the most part it's just a bunch of horseshit. $40 for a wine bottle filled with fruitjuice is rediculous and I'm old enough to know an MLM scheme when I smell one. And I really do hate it when friends and/or relatives try to rip you off with a "high pressure sell" and recruit you in becoming the pain-in-the-ass that they have become.

Look, if the juice works for you, GREAT. And, If working at MonaVie, or wherever else, really is the 24/7 orgasm you claim it is, then by all means ENJOY. But, if you ask me once, and I tell you "NO"----piss off, or there's going to be a problem. I am not a sap. I am a grizzly, profane, middle-aged ex-sailor who has been through "anger management" four times since he was sixteen and your relentless, fanatical effort to sell me your grossly overpriced fruitjuice isn't going to do anything but cause trouble.

Anyone else feel this way?

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-06-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Absolutely. For the most part, I think guys are disinclined to engage in this unsavory practice. Womenfolk, OTOH, have built an entire social network/marketing scheme out of Langenberger Baskets, some sort of smelly candles, Tupperware, speckly ceramic cookware, etc. Somehow, my wife can't say no to "friends" who throw the obligatory parties that are part of this scheme.

I try to tell her that if a friend of mine called to sell me fishing gear, ammo, music or something else I like/use in this fashion, I'd tell him to f_ck off in no uncertain terms.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Loyal Opposition

It's been several years back, but my brother had me come over to dinner to tell me about a "family business" he wanted to get me involved in. It was Amway. He had really bought in to all of their shtick, right down to the cliches. I was hurt that he had lied to me and tried to get me involved in a pyramid scheme. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that time, and I don't hold a grudge. I'll even give him credit for believing that he was really giving me an opportunity to achieve "financial freedom." From what I saw of the Amway way of life, however, it was anything but freedom. It almost cost him his marriage at the time, and did enough damage to hasten its failure.

Several times other people have told me that they would like to get together because they have something to "share with me." I would ask them if it was Amway. It was funny to hear them stammer "Yes, uh no - how did you know?"

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Loyal Opposition

Whatsa matter Finn. You don't approve of marketing by guilt. You can't turn down an invitation to a party, and you can't go to this nice party without buying something - at twice it's value.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
You can't turn down an invitation to a party...
That part's mostly true, but when I ask my wife what they had to drink or eat at these hen gatherings, it ain't exactly my style. OTOH, if somebody were to invite me over to buy CD's at twice their value and plied me some 18 year old Macallan Single Malt, I must just succumb.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Pssst ! Fellers, I can get y'all in on the ground floor w/this outfit in the Grand Caymans that has just developed this WONDERFUL product that NOBODY can live without....Whaddya say ?!?
Why do otherwise intelligent people fall for this garbage, Amway, Nigerian scam artists, all the other crapola ?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Pssst ! Fellers, I can get y'all in on the ground floor w/this outfit in the Grand Caymans that has just developed this WONDERFUL product that NOBODY can live without....Whaddya say ?!?
Why do otherwise intelligent people fall for this garbage, Amway, Nigerian scam artists, all the other crapola ?
Greed?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
That part's mostly true, but when I ask my wife what they had to drink or eat at these hen gatherings, it ain't exactly my style. OTOH, if somebody were to invite me over to buy CD's at twice their value and plied me some 18 year old Macallan Single Malt, I must just succumb.
Or Highland Park, or Abelour, or Laphraugh............I can tell your a man of uncomprimising taste.

Dave
Old 03-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Or Highland Park, or Abelour, or Laphraugh............I can tell your a man of uncomprimising taste.

Dave
One things for sure, I wouldn't go to a Tupperware party if they were only offering Coors Light or Gallo wine. OTOH, some of the fine tipple you mentioned might have me arriving early and leaving late (while throwing away my newly purchased Tupperware in the garage trashcan on my way to the car.)

Last edited by finnbow; 03-06-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Area Man

Just checked.

I'm still waiting for a response from the offending individual. My Sister has replied, "What are you talking about?" She's a sweet woman, but she doen't know the "chum" when it hits the water. He's been going on for days about how energetic he is, how his whole life has changed, how wonderous and amazing life is, now that he lives in a big house by the ocean and owns two Cadillacs, etc, etc. At first I thought it was some kind of religious hullabaloo he got into out there in San Diego. But, today he posted the video about the highflying lifestyle of MonaVie peddlers. Get this; It's done on a format that looks more than a little like FoxNews, but not quite enough to attract a lawsuit. (I don't think.)

The first guy gave a similar schpeel but I know for a fact that he lives with his mother in a half assed bluecollar section of Akron and rolls into work on a bicycle. (It helps to stay in touch with people back home.)

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-06-2010 at 07:12 PM.