Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

McChrystal gets called to the woodshed

I suppose all of you have heard that Gen. Stanley McChrystal, CMFIC in Afghanistan, has been called into Obama's woodshed for making unflattering remarks about Obama, Biden, and other high-ranking civilian officials to a writer from Rolling Stone for an upcoming article entitled "Runaway General."

If McChrystal were doing a "bang-up" job over there, I'd be inclined to excuse his insubordination. But he doesn't seem to be faring any better than any of the previous Generals over there. I'd say the twit deserves a little smack-down.

FWIW, I have several friends who have worked closely with McChrystal (and some still do), and they find him to be a pompous, overbearing pr_ck.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Abby Normal

I wonder what Truman would do?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I suppose all of you have heard that Gen. Stanley McChrystal, CMFIC in Afghanistan, has been called into Obama's woodshed for making unflattering remarks about Obama, Biden, and other high-ranking civilian officials to a writer from Rolling Stone for an upcoming article entitled "Runaway General."
The Rolling Stone Article is online here. Interesting reading. Here's a link to an interesting take on what's up with McChrystal.

John
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Resident octogenarian

What we need is another Omar Bradley, the curent crop could not find their collective arses with both hands and a flashlight.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Loyal Opposition

I don't like to see Obama being thin-skinned, but to the extent that he is commander in chief, a subordinate officer, even a high ranking general, should not disrespect the office. (Is that a double negative?) I know Obama benefited from several generals coming out and criticizing the operations in Iraq, but as I recall, those officers had retired from the service when they made their comments. Therefore, I think he can reprimand one who is still in the line of command for insubordinate comments without it reeking of hypocrisy.

That being said, I wonder what effect the Washington culture is having on Obama. Has the constant barrage of character assassination caused him to move into attack mode in every instance? Is he so pissed off that it is affecting his judgment.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Resident octogenarian

It is not only Obama, Gates has said that there ar no options that are not available which probably means McC is out.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
That being said, I wonder what effect the Washington culture is having on Obama. Has the constant barrage of character assassination caused him to move into attack mode in every instance? Is he so pissed off that it is affecting his judgment.
I haven't seen any evidence of that. Have you? He's had a veritable bounty of excuses to unleash on Congressional Republicans, the media, BP, you name it and, unless I'm overlooking something, we haven't really seen it.

[EDIT] And, frankly, I'd like to see some emotion and controlled justifiable anger from Obama. He tends to come off as 'bloodless' and detached which translates into disengaged and unconcerned.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 06-22-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:06 PM

From Obama's "Snake eater" to Obama's "Snake in the Grass".

I, for one, would hate to be in charge of winning in Afghanistan. Unless the ROE's included nuclear weapons.

Chas
Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
What we need is another Omar Bradley, the curent crop could not find their collective arses with both hands and a flashlight.
In the case of Afghanistan, perhaps another Curtis LeMay might be the answer.

Like Al Davis said, "Just win, baby."

And if we're not gonna win, why are we there?

Chas
Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Like Al Davis said, "Just win, baby."

And if we're not gonna win, why are we there?

Chas
I'm not even sure that there's even a working definition of "victory" in Afghanistan. I wish there were and it that it was attainable. However, I'm not so sure.