Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
That just strikes me as pure spite, cracking down on John Q. because of a decision from the Ohio Supremes.

John
John, it's rare enough that we are on the opposite side of an issue that I'm running with this one. The cops' response is actually very logical. Unless the officers have the ability to estimate, they have no basis to vary from the reading on the radar gun. The only way to give the driver a break without the ability to estimate would be to misrepresent the reading on the radar gun. It's one thing to give John Q a break by estimating a lower speed. It's another thing to give him a break by falsifying the record. The cops are not willing to stick their neck out that far.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Here's an example - I got popped doing 74 in a 55 a number of years ago. Because I told the officer the truth (how fast you think you were going? I'm guessing about 73) he gave me a ticket for doing 68 (which knocked me down into a different fine schedule).

But, because this guy used that (ticketed speed vs radared speed) to argue that the cop didn't know what he was doing, if the court had decided the other way, it would've meant that any time a cop did that the ticket could be thrown out. So he just plain wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

Look at me, friend of police. Write this day down

Pete
Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Here's an example - I got popped doing 74 in a 55 a number of years ago. Because I told the officer the truth (how fast you think you were going? I'm guessing about 73) he gave me a ticket for doing 68 (which knocked me down into a different fine schedule).

But, because this guy used that (ticketed speed vs radared speed) to argue that the cop didn't know what he was doing, if the court had decided the other way, it would've meant that any time a cop did that the ticket could be thrown out. So he just plain wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

Pete

Heres one for ya Pete. You may find another one of my many local cop stories hard to believe, but it is in fact the truth.

Local woman has a carry permit, and local cop takes her gun and says he'll return it after he takes it in and makes sure it isn't stolen.

Constable walks up to him and DEMANDS the officer to return the womans gun at once because she has a carry permit for that piece, and that piece is registered to her and it's stated on her permit.

Well, the officer thought he'd be a hot shot and tell the constable to mind his own and the constable got real pissed telling him he was violating the womans legal right to carry. Officer arrests the constable saying he has every right to take her gun in and return it later .. if it checked out.

Constable warns him that arresting him is going to cost him his job, and cost the city as well because he knows for a fact the lady is indeed in the right, and has her papers in her purse ... if he'd allow her to present them.

Cop takes him to jail, along with the womans gun and the constable tells the chief that the officer had made a costly mistake. Chief thought it was a laughing matter until the constable said, '' I've been arrested here for standing up for a woman who's rights have been violated .. a woman who happens to be MY WIFE ''.

The city chief and his favorite cop were given the boot in record speed. Now if he'd only go to work on our backwoods county sheriff department ...

Last edited by hillbilly; 06-22-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 PM

After they guess you're speeding they can guess you're an illegal. Shoot, let's just arrest everyone. Put us all in jail 'till we prove we didn't do anything wrong.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Well, I'm not gonna argue in favor of The Man unless I'm damn sure I'm right. Guess I'm on the cops' side now since my kid decided to be one.

Regards,

D-Ray
Don,

Wish your son the best should he take his place on the thin blue line.

As my buddy points out, a county deputy is considered to be a peace officer, while a Trooper is considered to be a law enforcement officer. A slight, but distinct difference.

Maintaining the peace is preferable to enforcing the law, would you not agree?

Chas
Old 06-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Don,

Wish your son the best should he take his place on the thin blue line.

As my buddy points out, a county deputy is considered to be a peace officer, while a Trooper is considered to be a law enforcement officer. A slight, but distinct difference.

Maintaining the peace is preferable to enforcing the law, would you not agree?

Chas
I know the kid sees it first as a public service position. The kid has always been a peacemaker, and I think that skill would serve him if he makes the force. He is going to finish his degree before he applies for the academy.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
Well lookee here. We agree on this one. Talk about a red letter day!

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Heres one for ya Pete. You may find another one of my many local cop stories hard to believe, but it is in fact the truth.

Local woman has a carry permit, and local cop takes her gun and says he'll return it after he takes it in and makes sure it isn't stolen.

Constable walks up to him and DEMANDS the officer to return the womans gun at once because she has a carry permit for that piece, and that piece is registered to her and it's stated on her permit.

Well, the officer thought he'd be a hot shot and tell the constable to mind his own and the constable got real pissed telling him he was violating the womans legal right to carry. Officer arrests the constable saying he has every right to take her gun in and return it later .. if it checked out.

Constable warns him that arresting him is going to cost him his job, and cost the city as well because he knows for a fact the lady is indeed in the right, and has her papers in her purse ... if he'd allow her to present them.

Cop takes him to jail, along with the womans gun and the constable tells the chief that the officer had made a costly mistake. Chief thought it was a laughing matter until the constable said, '' I've been arrested here for standing up for a woman who's rights have been violated .. a woman who happens to be MY WIFE ''.

The city chief and his favorite cop were given the boot in record speed. Now if he'd only go to work on our backwoods county sheriff department ...
Reminds me of what happened down the road a couple of miles.

Little town had a city marshal, who, to be kind, had limited intelligence. Nice guy, but just didn't have the smarts for the position.

Anyway, he ran the only stop sign in town, in front of the local kids. They got him to stop his patrol car, and talked him into writing himself a ticket for failing to stop.

Zeke didn't think it would be proper to sign his own ticket, so he woke up the mayor in the middle of the night to sign it for him.

The judge (a real character) fined him TWICE the going rate for running the stop sign, along with a dressing down about setting an example for the local youth...as he was in a position of authority.

My buddy, (the prosecuting attorney on the case, not to mention a real character as well), told me about this. It's still one of his favorite stories.

But people can tell stories about "C-Bug" 'till the cow come home. One of those places where the mayor had more eyeballs than teeth...and that's a fact!!!

Chas
Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I know the kid sees it first as a public service position. The kid has always been a peacemaker, and I think that skill would serve him if he makes the force. He is going to finish his degree before he applies for the academy.

Regards,

D-Ray
Lot's of jobs in law enforcement which don't require the patrol car and the big iron on your hip.

Wish him my best.

Chas
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post

Amesome! But what's the difference between a constable and a cop?

Quote:
Well lookee here. We agree on this one. Talk about a red letter day!

Regards,

D-Ray
Shh, don't tell anyone, I'm actually a law and order guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Reminds me of what happened down the road a couple of miles.

Little town had a city marshal, who, to be kind, had limited intelligence. Nice guy, but just didn't have the smarts for the position.

Anyway, he ran the only stop sign in town, in front of the local kids. They got him to stop his patrol car, and talked him into writing himself a ticket for failing to stop.

Zeke didn't think it would be proper to sign his own ticket, so he woke up the mayor in the middle of the night to sign it for him.

The judge (a real character) fined him TWICE the going rate for running the stop sign, along with a dressing down about setting an example for the local youth...as he was in a position of authority.

My buddy, (the prosecuting attorney on the case, not to mention a real character as well), told me about this. It's still one of his favorite stories.

But people can tell stories about "C-Bug" 'till the cow come home. One of those places where the mayor had more eyeballs than teeth...and that's a fact!!!

Chas
Lol! I bet those kids don't forget that story!

Pete