Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Area Man

"Who moved my Cheese?"

Have you read this book?

It's being handed out at many major employers, and is available for individual purchase. If you haven't, is encourage you to obtain a copy, and read it. It's inexpensive and a short read.

Here's my take;

The basic premise is good. When your cheese runs out, it does no good to sit around whining, complaining and starving while you wait for "New Cheese" to reappear, so get off your ass and go find "New Cheese". Any of us who have been laid-off or had to move to find work, as I certainly have, know this to be true.

However the book leaves out some important points.

A). There doesn't appear to be any "ownership" of the cheese. When the mice find it, they just eat until it's gone. There is no giant rat standing in front of the door to the "Cheese Station" demanding that you either pay, or work for the cheese. And ceratinly no negotiaition over price, or what you must do to earn your cheese is allowed. (Sound familiar?)

B). There is no mention of why the cheese is moved from one "Cheese Station" to the next. No political or "business strategy" motivation behind it. The mice are expected to just keep their fu**ing mouths shut and follow "The Cheese" wherever the invisible forces decide to put it.
If you question why "they" keep moving the cheese around, you are a whiner, and a bad mouse. (Again, Sound familiar?)

C). The "New Cheese" is always delicious. You should always be glad the "Old Cheese" was taken away, and you were presented with the challenge of finding "New Cheese".------It keeps life fun and exciting. (I wonder if Rick Wagoner found it fun and exciting to be publicly canned from his job at GM?
Or is that "different" somehow? I hope he's enjoying his tasty "New Cheese".)

D). Bear in mind that this book is loved by the private sector. It was not a government agency that handed me this reading material, it was my employer.

P.s., I put this under "Economy" because I think it does relate to the tough economy and jobs.

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Anyone else find it ironic that rodents were used in this analogy ?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Area Man

Well, actually the main charaters are two mice and two "Little People", I shit you not.
Of course, the "Little People" are the slow learners, because they "overanalyze"----or, "Think too much.", basically. The mice are the good guys, because they don't question anything.

And what would you surmise from that?

Dave
Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well it is a rat race.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

As I keep telling y'all if you want something FUBAR'ed give it to private industry.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

Dave
Bizarro World "Animal Farm".

John
Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Well, actually the main charaters are two mice and two "Little People", I shit you not.
Of course, the "Little People" are the slow learners, because they "overanalyze"----or, "Think too much.", basically. The mice are the good guys, because they don't question anything.

Dave

I think you missed my point which was, the cheese is gooberment and we are the rodents.

To me thats not only irony its rubbing our faces in it..
Old 01-27-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think you missed my point which was, the cheese is gooberment and we are the rodents.

To me thats not only irony its rubbing our faces in it..
No, the cheese is our wages, given to us by the industrialists who benefit from our labor. The government isn't a player in this Randian world. They just stay out of the way and let the "enlightened self interest" of our betters shape the world they permit us to live in.

Yes, we are the mice. Or at least the good ones among us are. The "little people" are the whiners and trouble makers.

John
Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Area Man

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on that, Dave. This book is being bought up by private corporate executives and passed out to their employees. The "Cheese" is our jobs, our "livelyhood", and the conditions under which we work. Sure, the government influences business, there is no denying that. But this is preparing us for "change" coming not from government, but from industry. If the government is involved it is as a catalyst. Mark my words.

Congress passes laws, but who lobbies Congress? When a dog attacks, is it the dog whose to blame or the man who trained and feeds him?

I know, I'm a weirdo. But think about it.

Dave
Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Bizarro World "Animal Farm".

John
Yes, it's all about pigs, dogs and sheep.

So, I see you've picked up on my Avatar, John.
Do you like it?

Dave