Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:35 AM

Rancher vs. EPA

Besides the idiocy of the Feds in this case, what was disconcerting to me was the coverage of this story. I heard about it on the radio and googled it up.

Fox news carried it and several conservative leaning sites, but nothing from the other big news outfits on the 1st 2 Google pages.

To me this was an important story; I would like the press to keep me informed of what is happening regarding our gov. - the major media companies picking what to air/publish based on the perceived political views of their target audience is not news.

Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Anarchists, etc. all own property in the USA - I doubt the Federal Gov. knew how this guy voted before trying to hit him up for 16 million.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...?intcmp=hplnws
Old 05-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Ready

Don't know if I can take this story at face value. Nothing from the government side appears in it, and it fits a classic anti-EPA agenda, and it's from Fox. Still, it's far from implausible. Bureaucrats whose 'job' it is to enforce will actively seek to enforce, and will compound mistakes rather than admit them....
Old 05-11-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Don't know if I can take this story at face value. Nothing from the government side appears in it, and it fits a classic anti-EPA agenda, and it's from Fox. Still, it's far from implausible. Bureaucrats whose 'job' it is to enforce will actively seek to enforce, and will compound mistakes rather than admit them....
That's exactly my point. In all probability Fox got the info and ran with it hoping to pander to the Feds Are Bad audience and the other outlets left it alone not wanting to upset their perceived audiences.

The result is exactly as you say -"don't know if I can take this story at face value."

None of us can take any story at face value any longer.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Ready

Some outlets are, I think, still a bit more reliable than Fox, but i can't argue with your point. Taking news from anywhere at face value is asking to be led around by the nose.

(Yeah, it's a mixed metaphor, but i like it....)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Some outlets are, I think, still a bit more reliable than Fox, but i can't argue with your point. Taking news from anywhere at face value is asking to be led around by the nose.

(Yeah, it's a mixed metaphor, but i like it....)
One Obama aide, Ben Rhodes, boasted how he created an "echo chamber" in the news media to sell the Iran deal.

I use RT and Al Jazeera to arrive at a balance.

Sometimes you discover a news outlet has a particular agenda...like Newsweek
promotion of arms build up.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Andy Johnson, of Fort Bridger, Wyoming obtained a state permit before building the stock pond in 2012 on his sprawling nine-acre farm for a small herd of livestock.
Sprawling?

Nine acres is sprawling?

In Wyoming?

I hate to see them screw over a little guy like this when I know for a fact that big developers with deep pockets and political connections get away with murder all the time.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Ready

Yeah, 'sprawling' in this context struck me as a little bit of applied spin. The 16 million part may likewise have been sexed-up....
Old 05-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
Besides the idiocy of the Feds in this case, what was disconcerting to me was the coverage of this story. I heard about it on the radio and googled it up.

Fox news carried it and several conservative leaning sites, but nothing from the other big news outfits on the 1st 2 Google pages.

To me this was an important story; I would like the press to keep me informed of what is happening regarding our gov. - the major media companies picking what to air/publish based on the perceived political views of their target audience is not news.

Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Anarchists, etc. all own property in the USA - I doubt the Federal Gov. knew how this guy voted before trying to hit him up for 16 million.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...?intcmp=hplnws
That is what results when a news outlet, is overwhelmingly agenda driven.
Important, but not aligned stories get buried or are given short shrift.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/us...ilys-pond.html
Old 05-11-2016, 12:36 PM

I'd be following the federal end upstream to see to whom it leads and to investigate motivation.
Stuff like this can mean someone with a minor position of authority is using their power to make themselves appear proactively significant to their bosses without regard to the consequences.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk