Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Thanks for validating Obama’s great economic recovery! 92 straight months! The current president* is riding Obama’s coattails on this for now, but his idiotic policies, especially on trade, and loosening direly necessary banking oversight, will very likely result in another Repube economic meltdown.
Of course it will, Chicklet.

In the meantime, some adults weigh in on the US economy's prognosis:

The US economy suddenly looks like it's unstoppable

In the face of persistent fears that the world could be facing a trade war and a synchronized slowdown, the U.S. economy enters June with a good deal of momentum.

Friday's data provided convincing evidence that domestic growth remains intact even if other developed economies are slowing. A better-than-expected nonfarm payrolls report coupled with a convincing uptick in manufacturing and construction activity showed that the second half approaches with a tail wind blowing.

"The fundamentals all look very solid right now," said Gus Faucher, chief economist at PNC. "You've got job growth and wage gains that are supporting consumer spending, and tax cuts as well. There's a little bit of a drag from higher energy prices, but the positives far outweigh that. Business incentives are in good shape."
Old 06-02-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Although DQ's article is not about the unemployment rate and the labor market.
Oh, but the "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" comment clearly is. What a better time to start "pulling" when many employers are having trouble filling jobs of all types. From the posted CNBC article:

Andrew Hunter, U.S. economist at Capital Economics, said the ISM number alone is consistent with GDP growth of better than 4 percent, though he thinks the second quarter will be in the 3 percent to 3.5 percent range.

Last edited by whell; 06-02-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Of course it will, Chicklet.

In the meantime, some adults weigh in on the US economy's prognosis:

The US economy suddenly looks like it's unstoppable

In the face of persistent fears that the world could be facing a trade war and a synchronized slowdown, the U.S. economy enters June with a good deal of momentum.

Friday's data provided convincing evidence that domestic growth remains intact even if other developed economies are slowing. A better-than-expected nonfarm payrolls report coupled with a convincing uptick in manufacturing and construction activity showed that the second half approaches with a tail wind blowing.

"The fundamentals all look very solid right now," said Gus Faucher, chief economist at PNC. "You've got job growth and wage gains that are supporting consumer spending, and tax cuts as well. There's a little bit of a drag from higher energy prices, but the positives far outweigh that. Business incentives are in good shape."
Chicks was referring to the long term......6-8 years. I understand that you, being a corporate goon, naturally lack that much foresight. What you see in the front of you at the moment is proof that we're on the right path. It's okay, we love you anyways. You're very special to us.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I actually sat in on a discussion with a local Baptist Minister who's also Conservative and quite political. This guy told me that it's "actually a mistake" to do anything for the poor or the homeless because, "We are told that 'Ye shall reap as ye have sown.' Therefore, if you are poor it is because you have sown the seeds that yield poverty, which is as God meant it to be. To engage in charity is to thwart the will of God. If you wish to avoid such hardship, then sow the seeds of prosperity."...….
Quite the opposite, at least as it relates to the highlighted text above. If everyone did their best every day to sew the seeds of prosperity, there would still be hardship but there would be far less of it.

However, your baptist minister also missed a pretty key element of the New Testament, which is:

But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?

Also:

If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?

This is why so churches have so many ministries dedicated to helping those in need. I wouldn't put much stock into what this particular minster is saying. The Baptists have some pretty active charitable organizations. Here's one example.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Chicks was referring to the long term......6-8 years. I understand that you, being a corporate goon, naturally lack that much foresight. What you see in the front of you at the moment is proof that we're on the right path. It's okay, we love you anyways. You're very special to us.
Ah, I see.

Well, we corporate goons understand that economies are cyclical, and the likelihood of a future recession is always there. So, yeah, six to eight years from now its quite possible (and if history is any guide, quite probable) that there will be a recession. And just like a million monkeys banging away at typewriters creating the possibility that one of them might produce War and Peace, Chick's prognostication of economic doom and gloom six to eight years from now has a similar chance of being correct.

So, since this particular corporate goon will likely be retired by then, I'll have little control over what might happen at that time. However, I've squirreled away all of my ill-gotten gains in questionable investments and tax sheltered accounts enabled by tax loopholes, so I should be just fine.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I actually sat in on a discussion with a local Baptist Minister who's also Conservative and quite political. This guy told me that it's "actually a mistake" to do anything for the poor or the homeless because, "We are told that 'Ye shall reap as ye have sown.' Therefore, if you are poor it is because you have sown the seeds that yield poverty, which is as God meant it to be. To engage in charity is to thwart the will of God. If you wish to avoid such hardship, then sow the seeds of prosperity."...….

Sounds like a fairly evil justification for selfishness and apathy to me.
Henny Penny Christianity.
Now, which part of the sermon on on the mount covered that?
Old 06-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Ah, I see.

Well, we corporate goons understand that economies are cyclical, and the likelihood of a future recession is always there. So, yeah, six to eight years from now its quite possible (and if history is any guide, quite probable) that there will be a recession. And just like a million monkeys banging away at typewriters creating the possibility that one of them might produce War and Peace, Chick's prognostication of economic doom and gloom six to eight years from now has a similar chance of being correct.

So, since this particular corporate goon will likely be retired by then, I'll have little control over what might happen at that time. However, I've squirreled away all of my ill-gotten gains in questionable investments and tax sheltered accounts enabled by tax loopholes, so I should be just fine.
Me too. I'm up to a half million now because I had the brains to ignore Republican scare mongers in 2009. Imagine if everyone had ignored those assholes, how much more quickly the economy might have recovered.....?

The only problem I have is in the way politicians play it. One steps into an economy that has already grown out of a deep recession, stocks risen from say ~6500 to almost 19,000, unemployment fallen substantially from about 10% nationally to less than 5%...……. And the man he follows gets zero credit while he actively grabs all the credit, having done absolutely nothing to earn it. That's a lying prick, right there. I'm sure you've watched that sort of thing happen from time to time in your career. After all, businessmen can be lying, backstabbing pricks just like any politician. Now, fast forward to the next transition of power and who ever follows the current fat, golf course dwelling, credit grabbing showman and this recession you say is inevitable. A repeat of 2008, wherein the economy is collapsing and it's the man who hasn't even won the election yet who is to blame for it? Just something I was wondering about as I cut the grass, today.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-02-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Oh, but the "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" comment clearly is.
Indeed. Apparently you haven't read the article.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Indeed. Apparently you haven't read the article.
I've read it. I've also read many, many others like it. No real new ideas in it and its filled with the same class warfare exaggerations, half truths and outright lies that I've seen 100 times before (but sadly many here and elsewhere subscribe to).
Old 06-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
I've read it. I've also read many, many others like it. No real new ideas in it and its filled with the same class warfare exaggerations, half truths and outright lies that I've seen 100 times before (but sadly many here and elsewhere subscribe to).
So you did read it, but didn't see the bootstraps connection. This makes sense given how often you reference an article that doesn't support your point.