Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Biden probably did say they were acting like terrorists. I said the same thing.

When we were facing the debt ceiling "crisis", a crisis that only existed because they wouldn't take the procedural vote they needed to take, they did indeed act as if the consequences of their actions didn't matter. Budgets are passed by Congress. Congress is elected by people. Congress allready voted on everything in the budget. If they want to kill programs, put them to a vote and kill them. But don't use a procedural vote to kill programs that you know you could never kill in a straight vote. It's just like the default to filabuster deal in the Senate. That's not how it's supposed to be. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "liberal media" report that such and such "failed to get the 60 votes needed to pass in the Senate". Like that's just how it is.

What's weird about the whole thing is that there weren't more consequnces to what they *did* do. It's bad enough that our credit rating was lowered due to their inability to compromise at all. But what they threatened to do was horrific. They threatened to destroy the economy if they didn't get what they wanted. Put another way, they threatened to bring devistation to innocent people if their demands weren't met. I mean, that may be putting it in the strongest possible terms, but I don't know how anyone could argue that's not what happened.

Is it hyperboly to phrase it that way? Maybe, but not to a huge degree. It's no worse than calling anyone who questioned the war in Iraq "un-American". Yeah, neither is the right thing to do. But I don't know how you can be outraged by the "terrorist" comments without being outraged by a whole lot of other stuff. It may be over doing it a little, but it is based in actual fact.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 10-26-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
That was perfect and follows my sentiments exactly. Emotion must be kept out of rational reasoned debate. In fact, that's why mathematics is, well, mathematics. The absence of emotion and precise language is why mathematics is so beautiful and powerful. Obviously, in political debate one can't have that sort of unambiguousness and precision of thought, but alas, we can always try to do better.
Mathematics.

The one endeavor with which the Socratic Method produces an unassailable conclusion.

IMHO,

Charles
Old 10-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Is it hyperboly to phrase it that way? Maybe, but not to a huge degree. It's no worse than calling anyone who questioned the war in Iraq "un-American". Yeah, neither is the right thing to do. But I don't know how you can be outraged by the "terrorist" comments without being outraged by a whole lot of other stuff. It may be over doing it a little, but it is based in actual fact.
It's just that "terrorist" is a loaded word (at least since 9/11), like Nazi or Hitler. It lets the accused (who could have more appropriately been labelled extortionists IMHO) change the subject when their behavior is the issue. Biden should have been smart enough to know that.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It's just that "terrorist" is a loaded word (at least since 9/11), like Nazi or Hitler. It lets the accused (who could have more appropriately been labelled extortionists IMHO) change the subject when their behavior is the issue. Biden should have been smart enough to know that.
Yup, I was thinking that when I was typing. Damn, I'm so busy at work I can't get a whole post done without someone bugging me. It's almost like I'm supposed to be thinking about my job instead of this stuff. What do they expect?! It's not that it's completely off base, it's that it intentionally uses a loaded word. As for Biden, it's his job to be outrageous. He's the James Carvil of the Obama administration in that way. He says that and the base says "hell yeah!"
Old 10-27-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Biden probably did say they were acting like terrorists. I said the same thing.....
That may be, and I say all kinds of lovely (and probably unladylike) things about Obama and Biden, but neither you nor I are the President or Vice President of the USA.

Quote:
When we were facing the debt ceiling "crisis", a crisis that only existed because they wouldn't take the procedural vote....
Did it? Under Obama the budget deficit increased more than 40%. He has not even been able to pass a budget for FY 2010,2011, or 2011. The only "budget" he presented was called "dead on arrival" - even by Democrats. There was a budget shortfall of $161 Billion under Bush (which is bad) and $1400 Billion under Obama (which is unimaginable)

If the wild spending, lack of budget, sky rocketing increases in national debt are not epic failures by Obama, then he really must be God (and have the ability to "walk across my swimming pool")

Quote:
Really? Comparing good people to terrorists mindlessly bent on the destruction of the country is the same as calling someone "un-American"? Well, I guess we all have our standards.

If it is "based in actual fact" (in that one of the Tea Party's primary motives is to bring a measure of fiscal sanity back to Washington) then you are ACTUALLY calling these good citizens "terrorists". There is a HUGE difference between a "terrorist" and being "un-American".

Personally, I would much rather be thought of as a "terrorist" than an "Obama worshiper".

Last edited by Krazygrrl; 10-27-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I concur, about the "terrorist" labeling. "Extortionists" is only one of the milder terms I generally characterize most Democrats and union members as. If I am really pissed at someone, I may label them a "liberal" or a "Democrat", and in only extreme cases as a "liberal-Democrat".
Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Mathematics.

The one endeavor with which the Socratic Method produces an unassailable conclusion.

IMHO,

Charles
Whoa!

Pete
Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Whoa!

Pete
That Chas sure is a profound .............. for a redneck.

For the record, I too am a redneck (by Suburban Maryland standards anyway).
Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazygrrl View Post
...and in only extreme cases as a "liberal-Democrat".

Yeah, I've noticed you're not quick with compliments.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazygrrl View Post
I concur, about the "terrorist" labeling. "Extortionists" is only one of the milder terms I generally characterize most Democrats and union members as. If I am really pissed at someone, I may label them a "liberal" or a "Democrat", and in only extreme cases as a "liberal-Democrat".
And this is someone who is offended by being referred to as a troll? What is it that qualifies union members - i.e. - people who work for a living - as extortionists or worse?

Regards,

D-Ray