Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Abby Normal

Gun Control

I think it is about time to start a thread in concerns to gun control.

Let me start by saying I don't know a damn thing about it. A blank slate as it might be. I do sadly realize what a problem guns are but I have never considered guns or gun control a significant issue.

Ok, so my though is fairly simple as one would expect given my admitted lack of understand. Why not simply ban all automatic or semi automatic weapons?
I mean you don't need a machine gun to kill a deer.

Further, why not limit all clips to 3 shots? Does anyone need more than a shot or two?

As to who cannot buy a gun, I think we will all agree that felons and mentally ill folks should not be allowed but what does mentally ill mean? How would it be defined. You can't look out your window and not see a neighbor on antidepressants, Xanax or the kids on Ritalin. Are all these folks excluded.

I'd like to have a philosophical discussion first on this.
Forget for now what could actually pass or what the NRA may sign off on. What is reasonable?

I'd really like to hear from Chas and JJ on this as my impression is that they are reasonable, gun enthusiasts and understand the culture that embarrasses guns.

Also do we have an exception to the general rules of gun ownership for responsible folks who have major collections as any hobbyist might have ?(like Sandy?) Are rules different for these folks?

Can we realistically distinguish?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I personally think autoloading (i.e., semi-automatic) pistols and long arms should be prohibited, and pistols of all sorts should be strictly regulated. Shotguns are unquestionably the best form of home defense, yet are hard to conceal outside of the home - a good thing. Blasting away at targets with semi-automatic (or automatic) firearms is lots of fun, but not essential to "freedom."

As for hunting, many states limit shotgun capacity to three rounds. If you're limited to 3 rounds for shooting at a running deer, running squirrels and flying birds, it should be enough to protect yourself against an intruder. Just the sound of racking a round into a pump shotgun is enough to make an intruder shit himself.

FWIW, I have about a dozen firearms. None are autoloading. My pistol is a revolver, my shotguns are pumps or over/under double barrels, and all of my rifles are bolt action. I value accuracy and dependability over rate of fire. Maybe that's why I hunt mostly with a bow or a muzzleloader as I like the challenge of placing one clean shot and not "spray and pray."
Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Abby Normal

Thanks Pat

That seems reasonable

How many guns do you need?

Or is this of less importance? or irrelevant and not necessary to control?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Thanks Pat

That seems reasonable

How many guns do you need?

Or is this of less importance? or irrelevant and not necessary to control?
Depends what you do with them. I have two sons and we hunt a variety of critters. So I have 3 each (roughly) of .22 rifles, small caliber centerfire rifles, 3 larger caliber centerfire rifles, and 3 shotguns along with an inherited .38 Special pistol. I also have 3 muzzleloading blackpowder rifles (although I didn't count them in the total as they are not considered "firearms" in the eyes of the law) and a couple of modern spring piston air guns.

BTW, I don't think of these guns in terms of personal protection. I shoot them at my club's range for practice/recreation and while hunting. Other than that, they under lock and key at all times. Even if I lived in a state with lax concealed carry laws (I don't), I would never even consider carrying a loaded firearm around with me in public. I often don't load my gun in the field until I get to my final hunting location (stand or blind) out of safety concerns.

As far as what the right number is, I don't care how many shotguns or non-autoloading rifles people chose to own. As for pistols, with some exceptions, their use/ownership should be limited to the police and military.

Were I to support the need for firearms to protect from a tyrannical government (I don't), a pistol would be my absolutely last choice in this regard. I would be shot dead in my tracks at 20 times the effective range of the pistol.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-16-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Resident octogenarian

I go along with Pat, and yes I guess an intruder hearing the sound of a round being pumped into a shotgun waould likelyy have him depart in a hurry. I suspect that is a sound everyone is familiar with from movies and TV.

The only problem is the sheer length of a shotgun and currently it is illegal to cut them don AFAIK. They don't fit in the drawer of my nightstand very well. Florence's taser tucks neatly under her pillow at night. Could never understand why they are not legal here, do they rather we kill someone.

Not quite certain how you can restrict a revolver to three shots unless you plug the other chambers, then it is Russian Roulette.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I go along with Pat, and yes I guess an intruder hearing the sound of a round being pumped into a shotgun waould likelyy have him depart in a hurry. I suspect that is a sound everyone is familiar with from movies and TV.

The only problem is the sheer length of a shotgun and currently it is illegal to cut them don AFAIK. They don't fit in the drawer of my nightstand very well. Florence's taser tucks neatly under her pillow at night. Could never understand why they are not legal here, do they rather we kill someone.

Not quite certain how you can restrict a revolver to three shots unless you plug the other chambers, then it is Russian Roulette.
To start the thread I made it philosophical so having plugged chambers is mute.
Pistols could be made with only three chambers.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

18" is the minimum barrel length for a shotgun, I believe.

As for limiting magazine capacity to three rounds, this is only practical for firearms with magazine loading (not revolvers). It is most commonly done on shotguns with tubular magazines by inserting a plug within the magazine.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

Would 18" leave the pump mechanism intact?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Would 18" leave the pump mechanism intact?
Sure. The pump slide connects back into the receiver. The barrel doesn't really structurally hold anything together, other than it is clipped to the front of the tubular magazine/slide.

Something like this is the ultimate home defense weapon and is fully legal (18.5" barrel). A pistol shooter wouldn't have a chance;

Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Area Man

"What are you doing to my SPECIAL PURPOSE? Stop! Your.....oh....woooo...So, THAT'S what it's for....(squeak, squeak, squeak)".

Ha, ha, ha.............

Dave