Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Reminiscent of the JFK days when people thought a catholic shouldn't be president, albeit.... For different reasons. .
Doubts on allegience, and the general American Protestant base distrust/ distain for the 'other'.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Though Carson didn't explain his views very well (and his views may be simply pandering to knuckle-draggers), many strict Islamists find democracy to run counter to the Koran (i.e., they object to laws made by man as opposed to those imposed by God in the Koran).

The (in)famous British Islamist, Anjem Choudary, has openly expressed his views that democracy and Islam are inherently incompatible for this very reason. Given the success of democracy is Islamic countries, he may have a point.

That said, this whole thing is a silly argument in that there is no chance that a Muslim (an athiest or a soci@list) would be elected to the Presidency any time in the foreseeable future.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Though Carson didn't explain his views very well (and his views may be simply pandering to knuckle-draggers), many strict Islamists find democracy to run counter to the Koran (i.e., they object to laws made by man as opposed to those imposed by God in the Koran).

The (in)famous British Islamist, Anjem Choudary, has openly expressed his views that democracy and Islam are inherently incompatible for this very reason. Given the success of democracy is Islamic countries, he may have a point.

That said, this whole thing is a silly argument in that there is no chance that a Muslim (an athiest or a soci@list) would be elected to the Presidency any time in the foreseeable future.
Quite true with Muslim fundamentalists like the Salafists/Wahabists. Also true for Christian fundamentalists here in the U.S.
Most mainstream pious folk are fine with peaceful coexistance, the fundamentalists are a disruptive pain in the ass for the rest of us, whether Christian Dominionist, Islamic Salafist, or Hebrew fundamentalist.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:

During my lifetime, it has been accepted wisdom that there was no chance that a Catholic, a Jew, an African American or a woman could ever be elected to the presidency. We've had our Catholic and our African American. We may well get our woman this time around and, though we haven't had a Jewish president, we popularly elected a ticket that included a Jewish Veep.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:39 PM

Oh! And some would insist we've had our atheist too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...omas_Jefferson
Old 09-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Reminiscent of the JFK days when people thought a catholic shouldn't be president, albeit.... For different reasons. .
Yes that's what I thought when I read it.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Yes that's what I thought when I read it.
Alf Smith had to cope with this in 1928 and didn't make the cut.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:

To be elected the candidate would have to publically separate his faith in Allah from Islam, i.e. remain a Muslim while discarding Islam. Anyone who could pull this off could be a great and potentially dangerous President.

Last edited by nailer; 09-22-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Oh! And some would insist we've had our atheist too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...omas_Jefferson
Deist.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:12 AM

So, let me see if I understand this correctly....
Carson believes that a person elected to public office should set his faith aside to perform his public service duties and not expect others to follow their religious guidance, in this case... Shira law.

And then, we have a clerk in some backward county refusing to issue marriage certificates......

Ironic

😕