Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 PM

double debut

I ran across an interesting statement in a TV listing magazine from 1954:

Quote:
If we ever get to believe that one political party is the party of depression or the other [the] party of treason it'll be time to look up a good psychiatrist. If politicians can't control their emotions, the burden is on us to keep our heads in the holocaust of political expediency. Good common sense can be the difference between civilization and the jungle.
Apparently those words had never been transcribed from print to the net, so I thought it only fitting to do by way of making my own first appearance here. In fact that quote was itself a transcription of words spoken on live TV. In 1954. "Holocaust" is a pretty strong term, but I'm sure the man who spoke those words would be shocked by the tangled wilderness of our current political climate.

I wonder if anybody can guess who said it?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Area Man

Welcome aboard.

And I have no idea who said that, but it is great stuff.

Dave
Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

Welcome aboard. When Congress' approval rating is hovering around 8% maybe strong words are called for.

Last edited by merrylander; 08-22-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Admin

Murrow or Chronkite? If I may throw out two guesses. Welcome aboard!

(ya troublemaker)
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Howdy! I have no idea.

Pete
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Murrow or Chronkite? If I may throw out two guesses. Welcome aboard!

(ya troublemaker)
Murrow's as good a guess as I can come up with too, unless it was Ike in private correspondence. He had some pretty choice remarks about the far right back in his day, Daddy Koch for instance.

Here's an excerpt from a letter to his brother Edgar.

"Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this--in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything--even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

The entire letter can be read here. In reading it, one gets the impression that Brother Edgar might fit in very well in the Tea Party of today.

Clearly, Eisenhower was a Soci@list, maybe a secret Muslim for all I know. He couldn't find a place in today's Gop to save his life.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 08-22-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Murrow's as good a guess as I can come up with too, unless it was Ike in private correspondence. He had some pretty choice remarks about the far right back in his day, Daddy Koch for instance.

Here's an excerpt from a letter to his brother Edgar.

"Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this--in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything--even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

The entire letter can be read here.

Clearly, Eisenhower was a Soci@list, maybe a secret Muslim for all I know. He couldn't find a place in today's Gop to save his life.

John
Good stuff. Especially coming from a Communist-Nazi-Closeted homosexual- America hating drug fiend who was born in Kenya.

Dave
Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Loyal Opposition

If it's not on the internet, it didn't happen. That's what I learned at beck U.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-21-2013, 04:29 PM

Oh, by the way, it was John Daly.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Area Man

Whoa. Only took three years for you to answer it. LOL!

Welcome back, TV.

Dave