Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
Chris, you are a willing and thoughtful ambassador of Germany here. We applaud your country's stance as one of significant soul searching, and this to be a reasoned attempt to properly frame this newly published book.

Thanks!
Thank you so much for your encouragement, I need that sometimes. It is not easy for a German in a foreign Political forum to particpate in an appropriate manner due to the dark history of the 20th century. But as this topic shows, like other topics as well, I am ready for a critical reviewing of the difficult past of Germany.

Nice that you use the term "ambassador" because it is exactly the term that comes from time to time into my mind when I participate on Audiokarma. I posted 17300 times over there trying to be an ambassador of the modern open minded democratic Germany. (Okay - of course the main reason for my participation is entertainment...)

Well - and don't forget that I never speak a single word English, never, all my English just exists in a written form.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
Well - and don't forget that I never speak a single word English, never, all my English just exists in a written form.
Ach du liebes Bichen!

I think that is German for Holy Cow!

I am sure if you can write it like that you can speak some...you should practive the next time you see an "ugly American" tourists with a fanny pack on lol
Old 02-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Mutated Member

By the way - my most important American English teacher is not CNN, it has been for 35 years almighty Godfather let us praise him FRANK ZAPPA!

The songbooks "Zonx" and "Corrected Copies", translated by Bukowski translater and Zappa friend Carl Weisser have always been very helpful.

Last edited by HarmanKardon; 02-20-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Nice that you use the term "ambassador" because it is exactly the term that comes from time to time into my mind when I participate on Audiokarma. I posted 17300 times over there trying to be an ambassador of the modern open minded democratic Germany.
Modern Germany is a wonder and, in part, an example of what an enlightened approach to post-conflict treatment of former adversaries can do. Would that* America had taken these lessons to heart.

Quote:
Should you ever want to improve your spoken English, you could visit my old friend Mark in Lorch. He's an Ami service brat who seemed always to feel more German than American so, when he got to a certain point in his life, he moved back to Hesse.

John

*That's how to use, "would that", Zeke.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Oh what nationality was the party then?

Germans followed their leader all the way to the outskirts of Moscow with no winter coats. Citizens do not do such things unless they believe in what they are doing.
One of the most difficult questions still is the definition of the German citizen then. A lot of them were Nazis, no question about that. But a lot of Germans did just as much as was necessary in order to survive. My Grandfather and his brother, my Granduncle were in Stalingrad. My Grandfather was a physician and his brother a reverend. Grandpa "repaired" the warriors as far as he could and Granduncle buried the soldiers who died under Grandpas hands. Nazis?

Two absolutely lovely people, Grandpa worked as a doctor until 1978 and died aged 95. Granduncle became mentally sick soon after the end of the war as a result of what he exerienced in Stalingrad and died 1976 in a state of mental derangement.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Oh what nationality was the party then?

Germans followed their leader all the way to the outskirts of Moscow with no winter coats. Citizens do not do such things unless they believe in what they are doing.
I posted a ref to Leni Riefenstahl's films in the Ukraine thread, could somebody link the post.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for your encouragement, I need that sometimes. It is not easy for a German in a foreign Political forum to particpate in an appropriate manner due to the dark history of the 20th century. But as this topic shows, like other topics as well, I am ready for a critical reviewing of the difficult past of Germany.

Nice that you use the term "ambassador" because it is exactly the term that comes from time to time into my mind when I participate on Audiokarma. I posted 17300 times over there trying to be an ambassador of the modern open minded democratic Germany. (Okay - of course the main reason for my participation is entertainment...)

I still have pleasant dreams of being back in Germany, another just last night in fact.

Last edited by Pio1980; 02-20-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Get with the program. The Nazis, not Germany, committed those atrocities.
A distinction without a difference when it comes to the Third Reich.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
I posted a ref to Leni Riefenstahl's films in the Ukraine thread, could somebody link the post.

You could.

Find the post you want to link to and click on the post number in the upper right. That will open the post in a new window. Copy the url for the post and paste it into this thread.

John
Old 02-20-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
You could.

Find the post you want to link to and click on the post number in the upper right. That will open the post in a new window. Copy the url for the post and paste it into this thread.

John
Can't do it from my smartphone afaik. Post #1082, "Ukraine heats up".

Last edited by Pio1980; 02-20-2015 at 12:46 PM.