Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:57 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Krakauer supposedly forces a historical link to violence as a characteristic of the Salt Lake/Brigham Young branch, more a characteristic of some (not all) schizmatic "Fundamentalist" ( read polygamist) break-away groups, typically led by a self-annointed " true prophet" restoration of the "true church". While the Temple Square main group is authoritarian to varying degrees, violence hasn't been characteristic since the Edwardian years if at all. The Church does harbor a quiet historical sense of persecution by Federal central authority and hostile opponents.
The modern-day LDS church itself was compelled to break-away from original LDS orthodoxy (which correlates to modern-day FLDS ideology) in order to become a US state in 1896. As to LDS sensitivity to their fundamentalist brethren being portrayed by Krakauer's book as violent, one could argue that fundamentalist sects of the Big 3 western religions all have patriarchy, misogyny, sexual abuse, violence and a sense of persecution at their core and are sensitive/defensive when abuses deriving from these attributes come to light.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:02 PM
Ready

Re the TV show, anyone else think a big resemblance to Anthony Perkins helped the lead actor get the job?
Old 05-24-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The modern-day LDS church itself was compelled to break-away from original LDS orthodoxy (which correlates to modern-day FLDS ideology) in order to become a US state in 1896. As to LDS sensitivity to their fundamentalist brethren being portrayed by Krakauer's book as violent, one could argue that fundamentalist sects of the Big 3 western religions all have patriarchy, misogyny, sexual abuse, violence and a sense of persecution at their core and are sensitive/defensive when abuses deriving from these attributes come to light.
The AUB branch, tmbk is an exception. I've been a guest and had dinner with them. The present leader told me over dessert that his mission will be to "put the fun in fundamentalism" as a man of ethical moderation. I've been acquainted with his wife for a few years thru Sunstone historical society and my bro, a Western American and Mormon history expert, tho no longer an active member, a respected historian.

Last edited by Pio1980; 05-25-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Re the TV show, anyone else think a big resemblance to Anthony Perkins helped the lead actor get the job?
Doubtful, tho he is convincing in the role.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:38 PM

What 'Under the Banner of Heaven' gets right — and wrong — about Mormons

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2022...nner-of-heaven
Old 05-25-2022, 12:02 AM

If ‘Under the Banner of Heaven’ Made Mormons Angry, the FX Series Will ‘Make Them Apoplectic’

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/un...-1234719319%2F
Old 05-25-2022, 06:57 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
The UAB branch, tmbk is an exception. I've been a guest and had dinner with them. The present leader told me over dessert that his mission will be to "put the fun in fundamentalism" as a man of ethical moderation...
After Lynn A. Thompson assumed leadership of the AUB, he was accused of sexual misconduct by one of his daughters, Rosemary Williams, and shortly thereafter by two of his nieces. Thompson's critics within the AUB also alleged he embezzled up to $500,000 in tithing funds and used official Church accounts for personal expenditures.

Fun for him, less so for others.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
After Lynn A. Thompson assumed leadership of the AUB, he was accused of sexual misconduct by one of his daughters, Rosemary Williams, and shortly thereafter by two of his nieces. Thompson's critics within the AUB also alleged he embezzled up to $500,000 in tithing funds and used official Church accounts for personal expenditures.

Fun for him, less so for others.
To be perfectly clear;
Lynn Thompson was worse than an embarrassment to the AUB. Cleaning up after his abuses of authority is going to be a heavy task for his successor.
My contact is thru his replacement, David Watson, an open, decent, ethical responsible individual.
Maryanne Watson, his wife, is who I worked with on a history project presentation.

Last edited by Pio1980; 05-25-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:49 AM

Tho' I'm familiar with the overall culture thru immersion via early pioneer family history, my thoughts on the cosmic aspects are that "there is insufficient solid data to make a definite determination at this time" , and, "I do not have that degree of faith in the unknown unproven".
Old 05-25-2022, 10:04 AM

The reason I started the thread here was due to my own interest in the social/historical aspects of this docu-drama out of curiousity for how it's generally perceived by those unfamiliar with the background issues.