Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Administrator

gallop pole

Was just interviewed for a gallop pole. Have to say I would have guessed them to ask much more incisive questions. The final question was what political party would I most closely side with, or something to that effect.

I was only given three choices. For the most part I do tend to side on the republican side but over the last two elections that has changed to more split tickets for me. It was not an option to choose.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Don't you just love the way those guys can put a spin on things pretty much any way they want Dave?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator

I don't necessarily think it was to put a spin on things but had they of asked me that as the first question I may have declined to answer the rest.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinover View Post
Don't you just love the way those guys can put a spin on things pretty much any way they want Dave?
The University of Missouri polled a month or so ago. As my piss ant corporation is public knowledge, I was easy pickin'.

This was all about "greeeen" . Greeen about this, greeeen about that, was tempted to tell the little prick that anyone who knew me knew me knew that I was a "walking Greeen alert"'

Wound up, Nimrod told me that I was "Really Green ( if I ain't a good corporate citizen I'll kiss your ass). Told him, "Think I've just been pushed polled)".

He asked if he could do a follow up, I told him to knock his lights out.

Should have just told him to go pound sand up his ass with a mallet...I'll not be manipulated by the like of you. Boy.....

Chas
Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

Having had some experience of preparing questions for a poll I know damn well that it is quite simple to get whatever result you want.

May I suggest that you use the response that I do. A woman came to the door one evening asking if I would answer some simple questions for a poll they were taking. I asked how much they were paying and she looked very surprised and said they did not pay. I told her that since they would probably sell the results of their poll that I would only answer question if they paid me what I usually received as a consultant - she left.

Last edited by merrylander; 08-10-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 AM

When I bought this Dell POS kompooder, I somehow got hooked into Dell's Customer Annoyance & Appreciation Centre-Where they tell you how pleased as punch they are about your buying a Dell computer, & oh, would you mind answering a few questions for us ? Fine, I answered their typical BS questions about the computer & all that. Boring. Then she started into asking questions about what I thought about Michael Dell & His Wife's contributions to helping the Rain Forest...And about Michael Dell & His Wife's efforts to erase hunger for Chilluns in Africa...An' their efforts on Saving the Whales, or the Yeti, or Martians or some kind of gawdam nonsense...I told her that basically I had no opinions one way or another about Michael Dell or His Wife, but I'd seen a picture of Michael Dell, & he should thank his lucky stars he had more money than God does, otherwise, he'd never had been able to land ANY woman, let alone His Wife...And as far as I was concerned, they could feed all the starving Chilluns in Africa to the Whales..Or vice versa...
Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Resident octogenarian

Yeah, but never the starving chilluns here. Until Africa produces more food than babies there will always be starving chilluns there.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Whenever folks call (Gallup et al) I always start off by saying that I would be happy to answer their questions if they would tell me who is funding their research for the specific set of questions. Whether it's healthcare, candidates, political action, advertisers, telecom or other issues it is RARE when the information is forthcoming. As a result, I often refuse to participate...if they are able to reveal the funder then I can often tell what the slant of the questions will be or is.

I have a cousin who sets-up these types of questionnaires and it's remarkable how slanted all polls are--they're actually, in reality, quite unproductive and often a total waste of time.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 PM

Every time I see somebody doin' the Crocodile Tears routine about Starvin' Chilluns, I can't help but think of the late, great Sam Kinison's take/riff on it of what 20, 25 years ago (Gosh, has it been THAT long...) Sure, Sam was profane, crazy, psychotic, homophobic, prolly smelled bad too, but why did I find myself goin' "Hmmmm...Y'know, he's got a POINT there..." on so much of what he said.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Resident octogenarian

If y'all want to read something pertinant to starving children I can recommend Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poem "The Children". Although it was written as a protest to child labor in the mills and the mines it has application today.

When I read the last stanza; "The child's sob in the darkness curses greater than the strong man in his wrath" I cannot help but think of the children whose father or mother came back home in a body bag.