We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Abby Normal

see, he is a great capitalist
Old 08-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
If i had the time and inclination it would be easy to write a similar chapter with the opposite spin.

I would however recommend that todays "entitled" corporate executives remember the words of Mr Hill, "We have got to prosper with you or we have got to be poor with you."

I would offer Bill Gates and Warren Buffet as examples of modern day responsible business leaders. Just as your article holds Hill and Rockefeller in high esteem during the industrial era the same may be said of Gates and Buffet today. However these folk are clearly not representative of the industrial era nor the new millennium entitled crowd.

thanks
I think the whole premise of the article is that someone already HAS written a similar chapter with the opposite spin, and it has been accepted as fact for years. The author was simply pointing out that what has been accepted as fact may not be completely true.

As far as Bill Gates being a model corporate citizen, I must disagree. I've always thought Win 3.11 was his best operating system, and would still be using it if possible. And you can't tell me that it couldn't have been improved so that it was still current. But Microsoft dropped it, which not only forced me, and millions, to buy his new operating system, but his new software as well. And Microsoft is doing it with Vista, and attempting to do it with their latest operating system.

I don't like a company which sells me something, then drops support for it, thus forcing me to buy their latest product. Quickbooks is the same way, and if I didn't have close to 15 yrs of financial records on their software, I'd dump 'em in a heartbeat.

Not only does Microsoft pull the rug out from under you on a regular basis, they've attempted to crush their competition...remember the browser wars? These predatory bastards are going to drive me into the Apple camp, and I don't particularly want to go there.

Gates claim to fame was the fact that he sold his software under license (like Coke-a-Cola) instead of trying to produce everything he sold...like Apple did. A lot of people claim Apple has the superior product.

Chas
Old 08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think the whole premise of the article is that someone already HAS written a similar chapter with the opposite spin, and it has been accepted as fact for years. The author was simply pointing out that what has been accepted as fact may not be completely true.

As far as Bill Gates being a model corporate citizen, I must disagree. I've always thought Win 3.11 was his best operating system, and would still be using it if possible. And you can't tell me that it couldn't have been improved so that it was still current. But Microsoft dropped it, which not only forced me, and millions, to buy his new operating system, but his new software as well. And Microsoft is doing it with Vista, and attempting to do it with their latest operating system.

I don't like a company which sells me something, then drops support for it, thus forcing me to buy their latest product. Quickbooks is the same way, and if I didn't have close to 15 yrs of financial records on their software, I'd dump 'em in a heartbeat.

Not only does Microsoft pull the rug out from under you on a regular basis, they've attempted to crush their competition...remember the browser wars? These predatory bastards are going to drive me into the Apple camp, and I don't particularly want to go there.

Gates claim to fame was the fact that he sold his software under license (like Coke-a-Cola) instead of trying to produce everything he sold...like Apple did. A lot of people claim Apple has the superior product.

Chas
I agree with you on most points. I think it safe to say that human nature makes to much power and wealth in one hand GENERALLY dangerous to all others.
I am sure there are responsible people in business today just like back then. I also believe the government issuing incentives to business does not change the character of a man as suggested in this article.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
see, he is a great capitalist

And an arrogant SOB, you do not fly your personal house flag higher than the Stars and Stripes.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
And an arrogant SOB, you do not fly your personal house flag higher than the Stars and Stripes.
I suppose we can clearly see where Mr. Gate's loyalties lie.

Besides, the bastard will set you up and knock you down. Where the hell's Teddy Rosevelt when we need him...here's a trust that needs it's ass busted good and hard.

And I don't like this sort of thing,

Chas