in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Here's a source you two might like: Mother Jones:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ntral-america/

But the Obama administration hasn’t extended that caring attitude to another huge group of Central American migrant kids—those traveling with a parent or guardian, usually their mother. In fiscal 2014, according to data from US Customs and Border Protection, these so-called family unit apprehensions nearly quadrupled. By comparison, the increase in kids arriving at the border alone—the surge that put Capitol Hill in a crisis mode—was a relatively modest 77 percent.

In perhaps the biggest policy reversal since the surge began, the federal government has rebuilt the controversial family detention system it gutted only a few years ago, in no small part to send a message to would-be immigrants—even though 98 percent of those at one Texas detention facility were asylum seekers who claimed that they feared returning to their home countries, according to a recent report by the Women’s Refugee Commission and the Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service. “I certainly would’ve never expected it from this administration,” said the WRC’s Michelle Brané, who coauthored the report. “Why they went for this draconian detention, I just don’t get it.”

Detaining families indefinitely to "send a message" via a "policy change". Sounds just like Trump "sending a message".

Except that neither are true. What's true is what I posted earlier. The system itself is a mess. And both sides blaming doesn't fix anything.
Uh, no. What you posted isn't true (and rarely is). Needless to say, the cited article doesn't say what you say it says (IOW, you resort again to lying). It says the Obama administration detained family units together, not that it separated children from their families in order to make hostages out of the children like your Dear Leader has done.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Uh, no. What you posted isn't true (and rarely is). Needless to say, the cited article doesn't say what you say it says (IOW, you resort again to lying). It says the Obama administration detained family units together, not that it separated children from their families in order to make hostages out of the children like your Dear Leader has done.
Uh, no. That's not what I said. Here let me help you:

Detaining families indefinitely to "send a message" via a "policy change". Sounds just like Trump "sending a message".

Except that neither are true. What's true is what I posted earlier. The system itself is a mess. And both sides blaming doesn't fix anything.

That's what I said. And since I had to post it twice, it certainly underscores your reading comprehension issues that I've observed in earlier posts.

What I also said is that the entire system is broken. Has been for years. That is undeniable. I've spoken with ICE agents and they're frustrated as well about the broken system that they're in. And while both sides play the blame game, the issues get worse.

I don't see any moral difference between holding families indefinitely at the border to "send a message", or separating families at the border to "send a message". Apparently you do, mostly because you think it gives you a way to make this a political issue. Its interesting that i don't recall you making an issue out of the indefinite detention of families when Barry was doing it, so I guess that's OK with you. Fine and dandy....
Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 AM

All these linking of obscure articles is a waste of time and is for deflection and whataboutism.

Why was there no outcry then from the media or the Republicans. Any pictures or videos?
Why is the GOP now so desperate to stop this policy through legislation?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
All these linking of obscure articles is a waste of time and is for deflection and whataboutism.

Why was there no outcry then from the media or the Republicans. Any pictures or videos?
Why is the GOP now so desperate to stop this policy through legislation?
Actually, there was. Here was just one example.

Of course, that was back when some of you guys were dismissing any criticism of Obama as "racist".
Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
...I don't see any moral difference between holding families indefinitely at the border to "send a message", or separating families at the border to "send a message"...
Of course you don't, because you're unwilling to acknowledge that Trump is using innocent children as hostages to enable his vile behavior/agenda. Though Obama did indeed deport record numbers of illegal immigrants, he tried to do it as humanely as possible. Trump, however, is deliberately trying to do it as inhumanely as possible. You, of course, are too ignorant and sycophantic to recognize the difference.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Admin

Quote:
See post about about attempting to discredit the source rather than dealing with the facts presented. It's core to your debate style.
Your source, The Daily Caller, discredits itself.

Nice slip up though.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:19 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Actually, there was. Here was just one example.

Of course, that was back when some of you guys were dismissing any criticism of Obama as "racist".
You disingenuous and dimwitted fool. Your link is about the increase of unaccompanied minors arriving at the border region in 2014, not the forced separation of families at the border in order to use those children as hostages to Trump's agenda. Why don't you educate yourself as to what is actually happening rather than posting links that don't even support the ridiculous argument you're trying to make?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
You disingenuous and dimwitted fool. Your link is about the increase of unaccompanied minors arriving at the border region in 2014, not the forced separation of families at the border in order to use those children as hostages to Trump's agenda. Why don't you educate yourself as to what is actually happening rather than posting links that don't even support the ridiculous argument you're trying to make?
Thanks for pointing it out. I was beginning to scratch my head there for a minute. Isn't that how a democracy should work by holding a hearing instead of feeding lies and deception from Dotard, Sarah FS and Nielsen?

Even the GOP congress is not buying it this time.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Thanks for pointing it out. I was beginning to scratch my head there for a minute. Isn't that how a democracy should work by holding a hearing instead of feeding lies and deception from Dotard, Sarah FS and Nielsen?

Even the GOP congress is not buying it this time.
Yeh, but the ever-gullible Whell is sucking it down like free beer at the Bürgerbräukeller.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Again, you're lying about what I'm saying, you squirming sack of excrement. I was responding to a question from Rajoo about what I posted, not responding to what you posted.

But the link does, in fact, reinforce a point I was making earlier about the lack of outrage from the left over children making the long journey from Central American countries up through Mexico to the US. and the change in policy during the Obama era that encouraged this.

What is new is a series of Executive Actions by the administration
to grant immigration benefits to children outside the purview of the
law--a relaxed enforcement posture--along with talk of comprehensive
immigration reform.
It is beyond dispute that such a narrative shapes behavior and
encourages people to come to our country illegally. In fact, newspapers
in El Salvador and Honduras seem to be encouraging youth to head to the
United States based on these policies. And recent internal DHS surveys
of these children reveal that more than 70% believe they are going to
stay in the country.

Again, where was your indignation at this at the time? If memory serves, at that time you were more concerned about "prosecutorial discretion" then the actual policies that were encouraging families to separate themselves from their children and sent them north on a false promise.
Closed Thread