Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:49 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Australian Lawsuit over Fox News' Complicity in Jan 6

MELBOURNE, Australia — Lachlan Murdoch, the chief executive of the Fox Corporation, filed a defamation lawsuit against an Australian news site on Tuesday, a day after the outlet challenged him to make good on his threats to sue over a column that claimed links between the Murdoch family and the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Mr. Murdoch, the son of Rupert Murdoch, the Fox chairman, filed a statement of claim against Private Media, the parent company of the news outlet, Crikey, in Federal Court in Australia. The move came after Crikey issued its challenge to Lachlan Murdoch in an open letter and in a full-page advertisement in The New York Times, saying it wanted to make the dispute a test case for Australia’s strict defamation laws.

The opinion article at the center of the conflict, which lamented the “sorry state of U.S. politics and the Jan. 6 insurrection,” carried the headline: “Trump is a confirmed unhinged traitor. And Murdoch is his unindicted co-conspirator.” It went on to say that the Murdochs and “poisonous” Fox News commentators had contributed to the assault on American democracy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/23/b...y-lawsuit.html

This case should be interesting. Crikey is using it to challenge Australia's defamation laws which, like the UK, allow for considerably less press freedom than in the US.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:14 AM

A question I've been wanting to ask is what do the Murdoch's have against the U.S.?
Old 08-23-2022, 09:53 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
A question I've been wanting to ask is what do the Murdoch's have against the U.S.?
Nothing. Like Trump, they're amoral as opposed to immoral. They'll indifferent as to whether they help destroy America as long as they can make a buck on it.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
This is just a WAG and I will take a stab at it. I seldom watch TV (30+ years), so my opinion is derived from print/digital media.

Murdoch started Fox News and I still question their obviously deliberate misrepresentation. They are not a News channel, but an Opinion and Entertainment network. Yet day after day they dole out misinformation as News and dangerous opinions from scumbags like Bill O'Reilly and Lou Dobbs (and I am sure there are a lot of others). In doing so they have a very loyal captive audience. I know of several people who have their TV turned on all day to a single station, Fox News. I have suggested to some of them that Fox is Faux and they are not a legitimate News channel, all I get in return is a blank expression, they don't even understand what I am saying. They are that far lost in their alt world. An employee of mine recently that he has switched to Fox News because he likes what they are saying and this was during the BLM saga. So its the Mega $$$ that is driving Murdoch and now that they have cash cow in their hands, they have to keep feeding it to the faithful to keep them in their fold. Enter Hannity and Fucker Carlson who make O'Reilly look like a saint.

I have similar objections to private enterprises using the term University and IIRC, McDonalds started this nonsense with their McDonald's University, soon to be followed by Trump U and now Prager U. Wonder if the wingnuts even understand what the charter of a legitimate university is.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:09 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I did NOTHING REMOTELY LIKE THAT! In fact, please, point me to the post where I stated that.

The only thing I did was point out that the IRS'S original job posted stated it, then the IRS changed it. PERIOD.
You spent several days and a bunch of posts disingenuously fighting back against my (provably correct) assertion that this new murderous, bloodthirsty IRS 87,000 army was contrived GOP bullshit aimed at stoking fear among the rubes and discrediting the Inflation Reduction Act.

Instead of stipulating the obvious or apologizing for trying to perpetuate/excuse these obvious lies, you act all butt-hurt for having again been proven wrong. This behavior is well known, expected and entirely predictable from you.

This entire Fake News thread has been either:
- You calling real news critical of Trump "fake news" or
- Disingenuously defending the veracity of fake news spewed by the GOP and compliant wingnut news outlets.

Somehow, you think you're clever enough that nobody has noticed.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
You spent several days and a bunch of posts disingenuously fighting back against my (provably correct) assertion that this new murderous, bloodthirsty IRS 87,000 army was contrived GOP bullshit aimed at stoking fear among the rubes and discrediting the Inflation Reduction Act.

Instead of stipulating the obvious or apologizing for trying to perpetuate/excuse these obvious lies, you act all butt-hurt for having again been proven wrong. This behavior is well known, expected and entirely predictable from you.

This entire Fake News thread has been either:
- You calling real news critical of Trump "fake news" or
- Disingenuously defending the veracity of fake news spewed by the GOP and compliant wingnut news outlets.

Somehow, you think you're clever enough that nobody has noticed.
https://youtu.be/5Q34HDm9zt4
Old 08-23-2022, 01:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
So, it seems the lie that Whell bought into has resulted in a full security review of all IRS facilities nationwide as Republicans and far-right extremists lash out at the agency. It's the first such review since the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...y-republicans/
Old 08-23-2022, 01:43 PM
Admin

Quote:
So, it seems the lie that Whell bought into has resulted in a full security review of all IRS facilities nationwide as Republicans and far-right extremists lash out at the agency. It's the first such review since the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...y-republicans/
Fucking terrorists. Excuse my French.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:35 AM

Mexico: journalist in Guerrero becomes 15th media worker killed in 2022
Fredid Román, who ran an online outlet focused on state-level politics, gunned down in his car in state capital

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...5th-media-2022

Exactly what will happen here if the neo-fascist Repubes are allowed to take over. Whell's favorite candidates hate journalism. VOTE!!!
Old 08-24-2022, 05:21 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

A throrough analysis of the GOP's IRS lie

It is impossible to keep up with the volume of disinformation churned out by the MAGA-occupied Republican Party. But sometimes it’s worth pausing to examine the anatomy of a particularly egregious fabrication, to understand the broader “alternative fact” ecosystem that misinforms tens of millions of Americans.

Let’s consider the lie, endlessly repeated by Republicans and the Fox-News-led echo chamber, that new legislation enacted by Democrats funds the hiring of “87,000 armed IRS agents.” Like the “death panel” fabrication during the Obamacare debate, this is a whole-cloth invention designed to stoke paranoia...

Grid traced the 87,000-agents lie to Grover Norquist’s Americans for Tax Reform, which in May 2021 took a Treasury Department proposal to add 86,852 positions at the IRS by 2031 (again, a gross figure that didn’t account for attrition) and wrongly concluded: “Biden Plans to Hire 87,000 New IRS Agents.” Sen. Joni Ernst (Iowa) repeated the misrepresentation, and Republicans were off to the races.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...epublican-lie/