Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Loyal Opposition

Kathleen Parker is a conservative

Kathleen Parker was thrilled with Boehner's plan, including the short term debt ceiling increase, with no tax increase. That's some pretty crazy economics to me. Nevertheless, her column is about the people for whom that is not crazy enough.

She lamented the ongoing influence of the tea party, particularly its "leaders."

"The Tea Party was a movement that changed the conversation in Washington, but it has steeped too long and has become toxic."

I'm sure that the die-hard tea party believers consider Ms. Parker a RINO, but, give me a break. Nearly a trillion dollars in cuts, no increase in revenue, and do this all over in six months - that's not far enough to the right to satisfy this movement. Indeed, do we need further evidence that the main fuel of the tea party has all along been a bull's bowel movement.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Kathleen Parker was thrilled with Boehner's plan, including the short term debt ceiling increase, with no tax increase. That's some pretty crazy economics to me. Nevertheless, her column is about the people for whom that is not crazy enough.
In the political arena, this gal is my heartthrob (as you certainly know already). She writes well and has a moderate, thoughtful tone. How many others can claim that?

As for the Teabaggers, dem folks be crazy. OTOH, maybe one needs to be crazy to shake up the sclerotic powers-that-be in this town. The debt is pretty close to being out of control and the temptation to can-kick is pretty damn strong among the entrenched pol's and their lobbyist enablers.

I'm sick of the whole friggin' dramatic mess. It's worse than the OJ trial.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
In the political arena, this gal is my heartthrob (as you certainly know already). She writes well and has a moderate, thoughtful tone. How many others can claim that?

As for the Teabaggers, dem folks be crazy. OTOH, maybe one needs to be crazy to shake up the sclerotic powers-that-be in this town. The debt is pretty close to being out of control and the temptation to can-kick is pretty damn strong among the entrenched pol's and their lobbyist enablers.

I'm sick of the whole friggin' dramatic mess. It's worse than the OJ trial.
But wouldn't someone who was deep in debt want to do something to generate income as well as cut expenses? I would expect someone as moderate and thoughtful as all that to recognize that the solution can't be a one-sided equation. A real remedy would include cutting loopholes and subsidies at a minimum. Moreover, most of what I have read from the financial types - including the conservatives - is that redoing this whole thing next year would do more long-term damage to the economy. That is why I considered her full-scale endorsement of the Boehner plan as somewhat immoderate.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
But wouldn't someone who was deep in debt want to do something to generate income as well as cut expenses? I would expect someone as moderate and thoughtful as all that to recognize that the solution can't be a one-sided equation. A real remedy would include cutting loopholes and subsidies at a minimum. Moreover, most of what I have read from the financial types - including the conservatives - is that redoing this whole thing next year would do more long-term damage to the economy. That is why I considered her full-scale endorsement of the Boehner plan as somewhat immoderate.

Regards,

D-Ray
Perhaps so. However, the Dem's have pulled revenue off the table. For the moment, Boehner's and Ried's are the only plans in town and neither has revenue enhancements. Something's gotta give.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM

If they all wind up working on this on Sunday, does that mean they'll all go to Hell???

Chas
Old 07-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If they all wind up working on this on Sunday, does that mean they'll all go to Hell???

Chas
Isn't that kind of like asking if Hitler would go to Hell because he committed suicide?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-30-2011, 07:26 PM

D-Ray::

Quote:

She lamented the ongoing influence of the tea party, particularly its "leaders."
Not in reality.. From speaker.gov....

Quote:
The framework includes spending cuts that would exceed the amount of the increased debt authority granted to the President. The framework would cut and cap discretionary spending immediately, saving $1.2 trillion over 10 years (subject to CBO confirmation), and raise the debt ceiling by less – up to $1 trillion – to approximately February. Congress must vote to cut spending FIRST. Then, the President may ask for debt authority of up to $1 trillion, which will be subject to a vote of disapproval by the House and Senate that can be vetoed by the President.
So these TOXIC RADICALS have the nerve to reject a 10 YEAR plan that cuts a whopping 4% off of such an efficiently lean budget (that doesn't exist yet)?? HOW DARE THEM refuse such a generous offer. Especially after that Brilliant Budget Continuation manuever that almost netted them $60Bill in cuts (but materialized to 0.8Bill).. MAKE THEM STOP before they hurt grammy.. And the WISDOM of doing this all again in 6 months must just send Kathleen to the edge of orgasm..

Also in actuality, Congress is playing the same game they always have. Allowing party members who constituencies might threaten them an out to vote against their own party bill. The votes were carefully counted and Boehner staged a little anger towards the 22 t.p. members who were "let loose" to vote their conscience.. All just SOP in Washington.. Happens all the time.. But NOW -- it's sinister because it's the crazy radical TEA PARTY that's playing the minority caucus..
Old 07-30-2011, 07:36 PM

I got your revenue right here D-Ray..

Embarass the crap out of ANY politician who defends $100 washer/dryer subsidies, HVAC subsidies, ethanol subsidies, or ANY subsidy for an EXISTING product in the marketplace.. IMMEDIATE and substantial tax revenues..

Find the subsidies and kill them.. Much like politicians were embarrassed into not packing bills with pork.. Then invite the Foreign assets of corporations to come home.. A 15% tax on a bundle is lot more than 0% on nothing..

News Flash --- Flacaltenn is considering running for Tenn State Legislature.. More news at 11...
Old 07-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Area Man

The Republican Party has been promising these people, (and failing to deliver), fat tax cuts, even fatter spending cuts and luring them into the voting booths with a bunch of hokey quasi-religious/patriotic "American Exceptionalism" hullaballoo and "Commies in every closet" scare tactics for decades.

I guess they didn't figure anyone really believed all of that BS.

Wrong.

(All too many Americans really are that crazy, and/or stupid.)

Dave
Old 07-31-2011, 03:33 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
I got your revenue right here D-Ray..

Embarass the crap out of ANY politician who defends $100 washer/dryer subsidies, HVAC subsidies, ethanol subsidies, or ANY subsidy for an EXISTING product in the marketplace.. IMMEDIATE and substantial tax revenues..

Find the subsidies and kill them.. Much like politicians were embarrassed into not packing bills with pork.. Then invite the Foreign assets of corporations to come home.. A 15% tax on a bundle is lot more than 0% on nothing..

News Flash --- Flacaltenn is considering running for Tenn State Legislature.. More news at 11...
But the toxic tea party position is that cutting tax subsidies is raising taxes and they won't stand for it. I am all for ending subsidies.

Regards,

D-Ray