Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Some Chinese mfgrs are reliable, others ayor. Same with suppliers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
True enough when it comes with a brand name (e.g., Apple), but there's an amazing amount of counterfeit stuff in all industrial sectors.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:16 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
In the construction industry, it's amazing the amount of cheap counterfeit junk posing as high-strength bolts, reinforcing steel, rigging equipment ...
A lot of the steel wire in the Brooklyn Bridge's main cables is not up to Roebling's specification.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
A lot of the steel wire in the Brooklyn Bridge's main cables is not up to Roebling's specification.
Perhaps, but it has held up 130 years. There are numerous documented instances of Chinese counterfeit high-strength fasteners getting into the supply chain and failing in subsequent use.

Here's an article revealing how and when DoD caught up with this as numerous counterfeit high-strength bolts were failing in Army tanks and causing their tracks to fall off. Not a good thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-700e9620fb98/

After that, they were found all over the worldwide nuclear industry with critical parts of nuclear reactors held together by them.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publica...e_1169_prn.pdf
Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Yeah they build a lot of cheap stuff.

I have been trying to get a good toilet seat for some time now.

I have ran through so many can openers.
30 years ago when I bought my house I bought a new seat made in USA by Bemis and last year when I looked at new seats at H.D. there it was, a made in USA Bemis. Too bad I can't find USA toilet parts, the Standard guts lasted 55 years and and Chinese replacement parts last only 2-3 years. I wish there was USA stuff, even at 10x the price it would be a better deal. Speaking of deals, how about Arnold's bargain Bay Bridge?

Quote:
By Charles Piller - cpiller@sacbee.com

The California Senate provided new details Wednesday about construction lapses on the eastern span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, and raised fresh doubts about the long-term reliability of the $6.4 billion project.

The Senate report, prepared by an outside consultant for the Committee on Transportation and Housing, offers background for a Friday hearing to examine allegations of lapses in quality control during a push to complete a structure running years behind schedule and billions over budget.

Among the report’s key revelations:
• Quality control managers found thousands of cracks in welds produced by a Chinese contractor for the span’s signature tower and roadway. Rather than ordering all needed fixes, top California Department of Transportation managers replaced those who discovered the problems.
• Millions of dollars were paid to the same Chinese contractor to speed up work after it fell behind schedule and bridge officials urgently wanted faster results.
• Bridge officials rejected warnings in 2008 that suspect anchor rods for the suspension span were not adequately tested; some of those rods snapped last year.
• Officials frequently told contractors and employees not to put concerns about quality into writing – ostensibly to avoid disclosure under the state Public Records Act.

“I’m shocked at the apparently deliberate effort to cover up what was happening from the public” and elected officials, Sen. Mark DeSaulnier, D-Concord, chair of the committee, said in an interview. He blamed Caltrans’ “insular culture,” which he said “has got to stop.”
http://www.sacbee.com/news/investiga...le2589402.html

Carl
Old 02-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Ready

I've been against capital punishment for many years--but I find the thought of hanging corrupt officials who endanger the public almost irresistible.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Perhaps, but it has held up 130 years.
No perhaps about it. IIRC you're a David McCullough fan. His The Great Bridge is a great read.